Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Constant crashing during playback

Constant crashing during playback

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung Galaxy Ace 4

Operating System

(Android 4.4.4)

My Question or Issue

Since updating to version 8.5.13.637 yesterday morning, Spotify keeps crashing on my Android phone (reverts to black screen with the Spotify logo, playback stops - I can usually restart straight away but the playback point reverts to the beginning of the track). I've discovered that the action of connecting to the internet (either through wi-fi or 4G) always causes this to happen but it also seems to be occurring randomly as well.

I have tried deleting data/cache and a clean reinstall but this hasn't solved the problem. Is this a problem other people are having or something Spotify has identified as an issue with the new update? Thanks.

14 Replies

Is there anyone at Spotify who can help with this? To reiterate, connecting to the internet crashes the app - this seems like a serious problem with the latest update. Alternatively, can anyone advise on how to roll back to the previous version? Thanks.

Hey there @GCWright,

Thanks for posting about this and welcome to the Community!

Just to confirm, have you tried the steps provided in this Spotify Answer for a clean reinstallation of the app? 

If that doesn't do the trick, it'd be helpful if you could let us know if the same occurs when using the app on a different mobile device, if possible. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I've been having the same problem for the past few days. If I'm playing a downloaded album when disconnected from the internet, the app crashes as soon as my phone connects to the internet. 

Thanks for the reply. I've now given that reinstall method a try but unfortunately the problem persists. I don't have any other Android devices I can try Spotify on unfortunately, I only have this one phone. It is up to date in terms of software though.

GCWright, have you found a fix yet?  It is ongoing for me.  A full reinstall didn't work for me either. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it started for me around the same time as you (I'm sure it started with that one Spotify update).  I've been back and forth with tech support for the past 2 weeks and still no solution. They also asked me to log into another device but I don't have access to one. Not sure what to try next, and it's a real pain as I ride my bike in and out of wifi zones!  See these too:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-App-crashes-when-it-connects-disconnects-from-Inter...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Music-stops-playing-when-I-enter-or-leave-a-WiFi-connection...

I have the exact same issue on my mobile, crashes the instant it reconnects to any kind of internet, 3G or wifi.

I can't check on another mobile either unfortunately, but it's 100% not an isolated issue.

Hi, apologies for the late reply - no, still no solution unfortunately. Still had the same problem with subsequent updates. Thanks for the other links, I'll have a look at those.

Hello,

Same thing here. Version 8.5.17.676. keeps crashing all the time. On a 1hour drive spotify crashed 4 times. It's quite annoying and i hope spotify fixes it soon.

I also have this issue, Note 3, up to date. Spotify has just gotten worse and worse like the last 6 updates...

Really appreciate the captcha for a site I pay for a membership...

Since the last update I found one change - the crashed spotify remembers the playback position!

Otherwise it still crashes when I cnnect to 4G.

No change for me I'm afraid. It's still resetting to the beginning of the song each time it crashes.

• First this app start to shut down every 10 min and now My spotify app crashes and shut down when i try to listen music , this app is not working at all .

Heya all,

Thanks for taking the time to inform us about this!

Could you please follow the steps in this post in the exact same order as given there and let us know what happens?

We're here for you 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

And it always worked on my phone too until a certain update... My is is fully updated and I'm paying premium for service! FIX IT! this has been happening since months and at least 3 updates to Spotify have been done. THIS IS AN OFFICIAL COMPLAINT
DEAL WITH IT

Suggested posts