Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable auto play on Android app?

Disable auto play on Android app?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 & occasionally use the Spotify app. Most of the time my bluetooth setting is off, but whenever I do enable it, Spotify automatically begins playing & it's incredibly annoying. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot, but I cannot seem to find a disable auto play option in the settings menu. I've tried forced stops of the app, but even that won't work most of the time. Would be a shame to have to uninstall the app just be cause of that.

105 Replies

Are you using some third party app which is launching spotify when you connect bletooth? Maybe A2DP Volume? As far as I know, this is not a feature of spotify or android OS,

No, I am not. I downloaded the Spotify app off the Play Store.

I was asking if you had another app which could be causing this as it isn't something which should happen normally. Aslo simply turning on bluetooth doesn't do anything so I assume you are connecting to something?

Oh, I see. I'm connecting my phone to my car stereo, for the most part. I want to say it's a Pioneer model DEH-P9400BH. Pandora is my primary music app & was the only one I used until recently. Started having the auto play issue with Spotify since I installed it a couple months ago. It will auto play no matter what bluetooth device I connect it to, however. Which is why I'm assuming this is a Spotify issue.

I've not seen this before so I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely. Does it still happen if quit spotify - hold down the home button until the running apps appear and swipe spotify to the right.

Yes, it will. I thought it strange too. I've even gone as far as to go to the phone's application manager & force stop the Spotify app. This will fix the auto start thing for a bit, but after a couple 2-3 times of turning bluetooth off & on it will do it again. I've tried everything shy of uninstalling & reinstalling the app. Thank you for your assistance, btw. Much appreciated.

I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. Could you get in touch with the support guys to see if they have any ideas? If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly to speed things along.

I'd be really interested to hear what is causing this to happen.

Hi,

this is actually a feature of Android and is not specific to Spotify. There is an app on the Play Store which you can download and activate to ensure that music does not automatically start when connecting to a BT device.

Bluetooth Connect and Stop Play

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hmmm.......... I didn't know that but on further reading it seems that some in-car head units, and possibly a few other devices, send a "play" command when they detect a BT device. It may actually be possible to disable this on the head unit.

I have a similar issue. When I activate the bluetooth input on my car head unit then Spotify automatically launches. If you try and pause it then it unpauses a few seconds later. If you kill the app it relaunches again. This renders using any other app via the head unit audio (like satnav) impossible.  

This is with a Nexus 5 and a Ford head unit (Fiesta 12 plate). I should stress that previous iterations of Spotify had no such problem with the same head unit.

I am using spotify on htc one m8, recently the app starts playing songs suddenly at 5 in the morning, this has happened twice. Not sure what is causing it to automatically play songs. In my case, no Bluetooth headset is involved.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Hi @Keyur . We're trying to gather data over in this thread. There are some suggestions there too which may work for you.

My spotify turns itself on randomly and I am not connecting to Bluetooth.
Very annoying as it uses up my battery at an alarming rate.

Have passed and I'm bumping this thread because I have the same issue as the first poster.
I use VLC as main player but if it's not running or I don't manually launch it, Spotify takes control and starts playing when I connect it to my stereo.

It would be great to have a setting to enable/disable that.

Did you guys find a solution for that. I'm still suffering!

I have the same problem.  Using S7 Edge.  Worst case is that even when I removed the Spotify app running int the background, it will auto come on and start playing (streaming) when i am in my car (and connected to the car's BT).

Very frustrating.  

Same problem on my Sony Xperia Z3. I have the smart connect app and its automatically set to open and play the Sony music app when I connect via bluetooth. However Spotify seems to override everything and opens automatically every time I connect a bluetooth device. I also agree that this started after one of the most recent Spotify updates. I'm currently running 6.0.1

It is very annoying. It will automatically come on out of no where when
I'm driving. I removed the app from my phone.

Cliff

I tried turning spotify to offline. That is doing it for me currently. Even
though I'm convinced that is not a the final solution we're all looking
for.

##- Please type your reply above this line ##

Suggested posts