Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Don't switch to playing on phone when I connect a Bluetooth device

Don't switch to playing on phone when I connect a Bluetooth device

I play Spotify across many devices: On my computer while I work, on my daughter's speaker during bedtime, etc...

Whenever I connect a bluetooth device to my phone, Spotify switches to playing on my phone. 

How can I stop Spotify on my phone from taking over when I connect my phone to a bluetooth device?

For example, I'm at my computer with music playing all day through speakers. Every time I get ready for a call and turn on my headset, music switches to my phone and I have to switch it back after the call. If I put on a bedtime story for my daughter and then put in my earbuds to listen to a podcast through a different app, it takes over her story.

1 Reply

Hey @lehons,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

When a Bluetooth device gets connected to your phone, it sends an "audio check" or an outright audio playback command via Bluetooth to make sure that the connection is properly paired. Some devices take that check signal to start playing audio. As Spotify could be recognized as the primary audio app, this may redirect the playback to the phone that just started the Bluetooth connection with your headphones.

That being said, we can confirm this is currently the expected behavior if the app is open on your phone, even in the background. To prevent this from happening, make sure the app is fully closed and isn't running in the background. We understand where you're coming from, and we appreciate the time you took to let us know about this. We'd recommend making sure to close the app on your phone and you should be good to go. The automatic change of devices should not kick in then.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away.

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts