Country

US

Device

moto x4

Operating System

Android 9
Google Fi

My Question or Issue

Looking to prevent a costly consequence in the futur.
Spotify continued downloading my offline music even after I left my home and lost wifi connection. I have it set to download content only over wifi but this setting seems to have been neglected.
Cost me an extra 40$ on my phone data bill.... 😕 Not great.

I know I can just not have any music be downloaded for offline use but I want to see of there is a less extreme option.

Thanks.
Chris

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @chriswest84,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

We'd first recommend making sure that Offline mode is enabled when you're not connected to a WiFi network. This way, the app will only play music it has downloaded. 

You can find more tips on reducing mobile data usage in this support site article.

On another note, we'd recommend double checking that the setting to Download using cellular is toggled off. If it is and you're still having troubles, we'd recommeng performing a quick reinstall of the app on your device to shake things up.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there @chriswest84,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

We'd first recommend making sure that Offline mode is enabled when you're not connected to a WiFi network. This way, the app will only play music it has downloaded. 

You can find more tips on reducing mobile data usage in this support site article.

On another note, we'd recommend double checking that the setting to Download using cellular is toggled off. If it is and you're still having troubles, we'd recommeng performing a quick reinstall of the app on your device to shake things up.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Yes, I have both set as you metionned.
There must of still have been a bug somehow though.
I will try the reinstall.

Hey there  @chriswest84,

Thanks for getting back in touch with these details!

If reinstalling doesn't do the trick, or if you haven't tried reinstalling at all just yet, we'd recommend trying the following steps instead for a clean reinstall of the app on your Android device:

1. Head here and click Remove all devices
  2. Go to your Spotify settings, scroll down to Storage and then clear the cache
  3. From the Android home screen, tap Settings > Apps
  4. Find Spotify in your list of apps, tap it and clear the cache and data. Then select Uninstall.
  5. Switch your device off and wait a couple minutes
  6. Switch your device back on
  7. Open the Google Play Store then search for and install the Spotify Music app

Keep in mind that you'll need to download all your offline content one last time after this.

Let us know how things go 🙂

KaterinaModerator

My situation is similar.  I recently got a new phone and switched over to Google-Fi.  After activating my device I downloaded a fresh copy of the Spotify App, logged in, and checked my settings to make sure "Download using cellular" was off and marked my saved songs to Download so I'd have them locally for when I'm not on wi-fi.  Within no time the device had downloaded 250 mb of songs over my Google-Fi network.

The device is not working as expected.  You should warn your customers.  The fact that you think reinstalling the app and not actually diagnosing the problem is a travesty and the absolute worst customer support solution I've seen from a major company.  There are real costs to the type of mistake that your obviously broken app is making.  You should offer credits to anyone who incounters this issue.

Suggested posts