Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Equalizer glitch - loud to soft!

Solved!

Equalizer glitch - loud to soft!

I have a Google Pixel 2 running Android 8.1.0 and Spotify Premium.

When activating and using the Equalizer function - every time a new song starts, it starts very loud for a brief moment, (like less than a half of a second) then the volume instantly drops quite a bit.  Turn off the EQ, problem goes away.  It seems like Spotify applies the EQ setting a brief moment after the song starts?

I like running the EQ, but that effect is annoying.  Anyone else experience this?  

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I'm afraid I haven't had to try third party equalisers as I haven't had this issue myself but many of them are either free or have a free trial so give them a go and let us know if you find one which works for you.

Some background information:

Most android equalisers don't boost the frequency band you increase but attenuate the other bands instead so the net result is that music plays quieter. You compensate by turning up the volume but, if there's a delay before the equaliser kicks in, the music plays too loud for a moment then the volume reduces once the equaliser catches up.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

It's always been like that on some  mobiIes I'm afraid. Spotify's "fix" was to add the warning you see when you turn on the equaliser from spotify's settings. Have you tried different equalisers?

Thanks so much for the reply.

I have not tried different EQ's - I didn't even think of a 3rd party option
to be honest - do you recommend any in particular?

Thanks again!

John
Marked as solution

I'm afraid I haven't had to try third party equalisers as I haven't had this issue myself but many of them are either free or have a free trial so give them a go and let us know if you find one which works for you.

Some background information:

Most android equalisers don't boost the frequency band you increase but attenuate the other bands instead so the net result is that music plays quieter. You compensate by turning up the volume but, if there's a delay before the equaliser kicks in, the music plays too loud for a moment then the volume reduces once the equaliser catches up.

Excellent, and interesting information - thank you!!

Upon lurking around the forum, it appears to be this is already a recurring issue with Spotify, specifically on Android ones where the volume is soft compared to the native music player, spikes on some random parts of the song, etc. Hope you guys at Spotify recitify this .

I'm having the same issue now. I had a Oneplus 3T that has an equalizer built in and no issues with it playing Spotify. No gap when skipping to start of new songs and such. Now I have an LG G6 which has no equalizer and sounds terrible. So I went out to the play store and have tried a couple of third party EQ's (looking for the top reviews). What I have found trying out the top 2 in reviews is what you are listing here. When starting a song or skipping to a song, there is a split second where the song starts without the equalizer then the equalizer kicks in. 

The 2 I have tried so far are Equalizer by Smart Android Apps LLC and RE Equalize by WiseSchematics. Same issue on both. The only way it seems to have it not happen is to use the crossfade. If one song ends and fades into another then the equalizer stays on. I'm still playing with the settings to see if I can fix it manually.

I have found out that this seems to be a Spotify issue as I've tested this against Google Play Music and there is no gap at the start of songs. 

Spotify needs to fix this issue! 

Suggested posts