Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Galaxy Watch Unable To Control Spotify

Galaxy Watch Unable To Control Spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and Samsung S21 Ultra 5G

Operating System

Watch: Google Wear OS 3, phone: Android 11 with Samsung's OneUI 3.0 extensions

My Question or Issue

I cannot get my watch to control my Spotify streaming through my phone since the latest Spotify update on 11/25. Spotify says "updated 4 days ago" on the play store and is up to date along with my phone and watch. I reached out to Samsung and went through all of their steps of resetting my watch and re-pairing my watch and phone and also re-pairing Spotify to my devices. Nothing is working. My watch will register that media is playing by displaying the blue music note at the bottom of the watch screen, but when it directs me to Spotify it says "Select something to play" and all of my control options are grey and do not allow me to skip, play, pause or control volume. I have attached a picture of my watch face while Spotify is active and connected on my phone and watch. 

20221129_122627.jpg
28 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country
Brazil

Device

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4

Operating System

Android 11

Wear OS 3.5

My Question or Issue

So currently i'm facing and issue that i've not been able to find the solution and have not yet seen anyone having the same issue.

Yesterday i updated my Spotify app and since then it stopped working, i cannot select media to play because the library section is disabled/grayed out, my downloaded media have vanished and shows nothing, only an error mesage and a refresh button that does nothing.

I've already tried to uninstall the app from the watch and reinstall, i even reseted my smartwatch too but currently the app is useless, i can't change the music that is playing on my phone with the watch nor play music and listen only with my watch because i cannot download and select albums or playlists.

I can freely use other apps, install and browse the play store confirming that i am connected and have an internet connection with the watch.

After reinstalling i see a pair screen to wich i can pair normally with my phone, after pairing the app returns to a broken state.

Any help is welcome.

Menu screenMenu screen

Further down from the menu.Further down from the menu.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-21 at 16.15.18.jpeg

same issue here

Anything you tried that fixed the issue?

Hi folks,

Sorry to hear that this started happening with your Samsung watches recently.

In order to look into what might have caused this issue, can you provide us with the following info, if you haven't already:

• Phone and watch model and OS version
  • Spotify app version
  • Roughly when did this start happening
  • What troubleshooting have you done so far

We'll be on the lookout for your replies. Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello Alex,

Please see my answers:

Phone and watch model and OS version:

Device

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and Samsung S21 Ultra 5G

Operating System

Watch: Google Wear OS 3, phone: Android 11 with Samsung's OneUI 3.0 extensions

Spotify App version:

8.7.90.544 updated December 9, 2022

Roughly when did this start happening:

November 25, 2022

What troubleshooting have you done so far:

I reached out to Samsung and went through all of their steps of resetting my watch and re-pairing my watch and phone and also re-pairing Spotify to my devices.
UPDATE: Since the latest update today, December 12, 2022, my watch worked for approximately 30 minutes but is no longer working again. It is once again showing the "select something to play" screen with all buttons and options greyed out and is not responding to any force stops or resetting.

Good morning people,
Yesterday I bought a smartwatch (Ticwatch E3 - Wear OS) and I have the same problem.

The download is done on the smartwatch, however, when entering to play it offline it presents the same error and closes the application.

Hey folks!

@courtney43jordan, thanks for sending over this info, we've forwarded it to the relevant team.

@PauloFerraz, can you please provide the rest of the details that @Alex has requested above?

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator

• Phone and watch model and OS version

Ticwatch E3 wear os 2.38 Android 9

• Spotify app version

• Roughly when did this start happening

Ever

• What troubleshooting have you done 

Ever

Hey @PauloFerraz,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared. 

In this case, we'll need you to be a little more specific. We don't mean to sound repetitive, but, can you let us know the exact steps of troubleshooting you've tried? This way, we can avoid repeating any steps.

On another note, it'd be really helpful if you send us a video recording of what you kindly mentioned. You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Hi! 

I have a similar issue as well. When I start playing music on my phone via Spotify the music controller and the little note icon that shows any media activity does not appear on my watch. Any other part of the app works fine exept this. 

Plan

Premium

Country
Hungary 

Device

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G

Operating System

Watch: Wear OS 3.5, Phone: Android 13, One UI 5.0

Spotify app version

I experienced this issue for the first time on 20. 12. 2022.

I tried to re-install the app both on my watch and my phone; to re-login on both of the devices; to restart the devices

Hi there @Warci,

Thanks for the info. Could you please send us some screenshots or a video of the behaviour? That would help us a lot.

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator

I'm in same boat. It's so annoying. I bought the watch specifically to listen to Spotify natively. It won't start playing unless there's a connection to the phone, seven though it indicates that it's playing from watch downloaded playlists. Once I go for a walk it'll play for maybe 30 minutes then stop. It'll indicate that its still playing but no sound. Icons greyed out, if I go to change downloaded playlists it says 'reload page' sand playlists greyed out. Have updated watch, uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify, downloaded the playlists again to watch and seen the downloaded confirmation. Still does same thing. If my phone is off. It will only start playing if there is a connection to WiFi. Once I move out of range, short while later, it stops again. What a dud of a watch. Samsung know there's a problem.

Hey @Kenyaone

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind checking if the OS of your watch is up to date? 

On another note, we suggest that you try unlinking and relinking your account with the watch again.

Let us know how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Rather then look out for our replies. Can you tell us for to fix this? Your 'cheers' is pointless unless the problem is solved by Samsung. They know it's a problem. I'm on S22 Ultra. I bought the watch in December 2022. It worked offline for no more than 30 minutes each time I try, then stops. Everything greyed out. Every. Single. Time. The latest watch update has just been installed. My phone is running one UI 5.1. I've uninstalled Spotify on both phone and watch several times. I've tried using Spotify in offline mode as well as online. It's either a bug in Spotify or Wear OS. It's annoying to buy a product for a specific purpose (using Spotify offline) only to find that it's the specific app that doesn't work as advertised. It's clear that after a certain interval, the watch tries to connect to Spotify (go online) and when this fails, because my watch is not 4G and when out running there's no WiFi (phone is left at home) it stops working. The second I'm back home it connects to WiFi and immediately starts working again. Is this a case of false advertising by Spotify and Samsung or Google (Wear OS) ? It simply will not work in any configuration. 30 minutes. That's it. It remains greyed out and will not play until the watch is online again. And before you ask, yes, the playlists are downloaded and all arrows on the songs are green. And yes. On the web Spotify and on phone, I set the preference to play on watch. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the info you've sent so far.

@Kenyaone, could you send us the exact OS and Spotify version of your phone? 

@courtney43jordan@Warci@PauloFerraz@parabullet@tommy_chillfige, are you still experiencing this issue? If so, could you send us all the info @Alex asked for previously (if you haven't already)? We'd like to look into this further.

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi.

Watch 4 Classic (PN1W)
SM-R890
One UI watch 4.5
Software version: R890XXU1GWB1
Security patch level 1 january 2023

CAN'T PLAY OR SELECT SONNGS ON WEAR OS

any updates for this problem? Im also experiencing the exact issues as them. 

Same problem for months .

every time the watch goes offline I can no longer listen to downloaded music because it becomes irresponsible and laggy .

The second I'm back home it connects to WiFi and immediately starts working again

Suggested posts