Premium

Country

The Netherlands

Device

Samsung Galaxy S20FE

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

The gapless playback function doesn't work on Android. On desktop, you can set the crossfade to 0 seconds, so that way you dont have an awkward pause between 2 songs. That works fine, even on my own playlists.

But on Android, you can't set the crossfade to zero seconds. The lowest is 1 second, which is not what i want. When i check the box which states "continious playing allowes songs to play without pauses", it doesn't work either. It still has pauses between songs.

I've tried clearing cache, re-installing the app, but nothing works. What am i doing wrong?

33 Replies

Hi there @anil030,

Thank you for your reply.

Just to confirm, can you let us know if this occurs on one specific device or multiple devices? 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry to hear that though. Best regards.

Frustrating to see threads like this! The issue is widespread, I have exactly the same thing as Anil describes on my pixel 6. Checked all settings, cleared cache, reinstalled, etc etc. It just doesn't work without a gap between songs.

It did work at some point in history, so might be that certain devices work better than others... My old phone was a pixel 5 though so unlikely that upgrading to newer faster model would make things slower on Spotify...

Anyway, came here to say thanks Anil for your details as I now know that it's not just me, and I also can see that it isn't going to get fixed any time soon.

Hi there @JonnyW13,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Could you try logging in with another Spotify account to test if gapless playback works? You can create a free account for test purposes.

Let us know how it goes.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sad to see that this issue, after 2 years, still has not been fixed. 

With both "Automix" and "Seamless Playback" enabled, there's still that awkward, half-second silence between tracks.

Just setting the Crossfade option to ~0 seconds isn't really an option for me, as it does not work smoothly and just silences the end of the first song and the start of the next song.

What I don't undeestand is that, when listening to an album with "Seamless Playback" enabled, it works like a charm and there's no pause at all between the tracks, as it should be.

When I listen to the same exact transition of the same exact songs inside a self made playlist however, suddenly there's a pause again. Where does that pause come from? Why does that option only seem to work on albums and not just all songs in general? 

Also, "Automix" seems to pick and choose when it wants to work and when not. Yesterday it worked, today it does not.

Really hope Spotify can do something about the faulty playback options ... Just fixing these issues could make the listening experience so, so much better.

Kind regards

Hello,

I'm trying to make a playlist with seamless transition but I'm running into the exact same issue stated by everyone else in this thread. My phone is a Samsung S21 Ultra 5G, with One UI version 5.1 and Android Version 13. I've seen from some other threads that it seems like iOS users have no issues with this (https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/9jq2i7/is_there_any_way_to_set_the_crossfade_option_to_0/) and can actually set crossfade to 0. I can set crossfade to 0 on my desktop, and the song transitions work perfectly there, just not on mobile. I've tried with and without Bluetooth but there was no difference. Any ETA on when this or another fix will be implemented? No idea why this is an wide-spread issue exclusive to Android, and why gapless will work on albums, but not playlists. 

Edit: I made a new account and tested it on that, no difference at all.

Thanks

This issue is so weird. 

Gapless ONLY works if it is two songs from the exact same album and in series. Runnin into Glock In My Lap from SAVAGE MODE II works but only if the songs are from either the clean or the explicit version, it doesn't work if you are going from one to another. This is even more weird because you can have them playing from queue, playlist, or anywhere else, the album doesn't have to be the source. 😂😂

I also want to add that this has been true for all versions of android I have come across (9 through 13), on Google, OnePlus, and Samsung. also doubt it is hardware issue as it occurs on my 10t (16gb ram and snapdragon 8 + gen 1) which is faster than most windows pcs

Could the gaps be removed entirely? No gaps, no fades, no automix because some artists, especially for electronic music are already mixed. I've tried every combination on both Android and Apple devices. Not every track and album are treated the same but your tools are specific to tracks that aren't already mixed by the artist. Try George Acosta - A State of Mind. Please have an option to play the albums as intended! Thank you.

Hey, so everytime I enable gapless playback, the button shows its on when I press it. But the moment I leave the app, it automatically turns off and just doesn't work at all. But when I first got the account, gapless playback worked perfectly fine. Also at the time period, one of my personal playlists would let me listen to any of the songs that I put there. Now it just gives random songs that says they added it. It's really annoying and I would like someone to help me on this. 

Thanks. 

Hi there @j0kew,

Thanks for joining the thread!

Have you already tried any troubleshooting steps or checked if the same thing happens on different device(s)? Did you notice when the issue started, was it after an update of the app for example?

Just to check, when it comes to the playback, are you currently subscribed to Premium or using the free service? Keep in mind that some features work differently depending on your current subscription. If you're on the free service, you will probably hear and see recommendations being added to your playlists.

Hope this helps and keep us updated.

IvelinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hello, I did a lot of the troubleshooting steps and still it just doesn't work. I'm just so confused right now since when I make a new account under a different email, the gapless playback works for like a week before turning off. I had premium for like a month, and gapless playback worked perfectly fine. Now it's just stuck on off.

Amazing, there are multiple users who requested help over the last 2 yrs, going on 3 with the same issue on multiple devices, not OS dependent and still no solutions. When we will receive undivided attention from your developers for this ongoing problem?

Hey folks,

When it comes to the 0-second crossfade option not being available on the mobile app, we're unable to provide an ETA for a fix at this time, but rest assured it will remain on our internal teams' radar. In the meantime, make sure you're always running the latest version of Spotify so you don't miss out on any updates.

@j0kew, could you confirm you still have Premium? Could you share a short screen recording which captures the app's behavior in action along with the exact version of Spotify you're running?

@côtéest002, I checked this album (which appears to be the one you mentioned) and I can confirm that the tracks have a fade out near the end, however, it appears that it's just how the album was uploaded to the platform by the artist/label.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1hDw5UmoLU35iVOOubiRhi

In general, gapless is best observed when playing an album where the tracks are meant to flow one into another. Below is a good example of an album with seamless transitions:

https://open.spotify.com/album/48ZEv5GfTeyBmdrXcNpzyT

Crossfade on the other hand, overlaps 2 tracks by fading out of the first while fading in the next. As for Automix, it sets custom start and end times for the tracks in specific Spotify playlists, allowing for smooth, DJ-like transitions. Note that not all Spotify playlists support Automix, and the start/end values are predefined by Spotify, so you can't change them. More info here.

Hope this clears things up. The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts