Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Genre Radio Stations won't start: Spotify on Andriod

Genre Radio Stations won't start: Spotify on Andriod

Hi all,

Just signed up for a trial version of Spotify, and was liking it until yestrday. All of a sudden, I can't use the genre radio stations. All of them say "Sorry, this station canno't be started, please choose a different one". Artist stations works fine. Have restarted my device (LG G2, T-Mobile), have cleared cache, uninstalled / reinstalled, no luck. Any ideas? 

20 Replies

Odd, just tried a cheesy Christmas radio and all played OK for me. Can you reboot your phone and try again?

Is it happening on both WiFi & Mobile Data?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Just tried rebooting again, no luck. Hmm, I haven't tried on WiFi yet, I probably won't be able to until later today. Good point though, I was starting to wonder if it was my provider or not. 

I'm having the same problem with the genre radio stations. I have tried both on Wi-Fi and on 4G LTE with no luck. I'm a new customer and this really sucks...

Hi, 

I have the exact same problem: genre radios stopped working on all of my devices (Nexus 5, Nexus 7,  Galaxy Notes 10.1).

Maybe it's  related to the trial period ending?

I'd hope it isn't a trial limitation, that'd be a terrible way for someone to fully "try out" Spotify. As an update, it's still not working. Not really sure what else to try.

I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here.

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thanks Daniel. I put in a request this morning. Hopefully this can get resolved quickly. 

I just signed up for a 3 month deal for Premium and I'm having the same problem with genre stations. They do not start on any of my 6 Android devices. I have tried rebooting, clearing cache, reinstalling -  nothing helps. 

The interesting thing is that they work fine on the Windows interface.  Spotify TShas not responded to my requst for a fix. 

Unless this gets fixed, I'm gone in 3 months. 

Having the same problem since yesterday... Have tried it with another login (friend of mine) on my S5 then it worked... so i mean that it has nothing to do with android devices.?!

@campeon981 wrote:

Having the same problem since yesterday... Have tried it with another login (friend of mine) on my S5 then it worked... so i mean that it has nothing to do with android devices.?!

I tried it here on 6 Android devices, and none will start the Genre Radio in Spotify Premium.. I tried it in my PC and it works fine, and if it swing during play from PC to Android, it plays on Android. I tried with a friend's Spotify Free account on several of my devices, and it works. This leads me to believe it is an issue with individual accounts being set up differently somehow on the Spotify end.

Is any streaming service without these pesky problems they can'rt solve? I've been through several and left each because of these kinds of hassles, and this one with Spotify is one of the most annoying.

Hi  All,

Well, after lots of back and forth with Spotify Customer Service techs, it was more or less determined that the problem was my account. They sent me a test account and I logged in with that, and everything worked just fine. So yesterday, I simply created a new account, and so far no problems with the radios (*keeping my fingers crossed*). You guys might want to look at doing that too. Since I'm new to Spotify, there wasn't much for me to lose, but I'm sure there are folks out there who've been members longer with other implications. Good luck! 

@eaglecreez wrote:

Hi  All,

Well, after lots of back and forth with Spotify Customer Service techs, it was more or less determined that the problem was my account. They sent me a test account and I logged in with that, and everything worked just fine. So yesterday, I simply created a new account, and so far no problems with the radios (*keeping my fingers crossed*). You guys might want to look at doing that too. Since I'm new to Spotify, there wasn't much for me to lose, but I'm sure there are folks out there who've been members longer with other implications. Good luck! 

That's their best solution? Start a new account? I jut signed up for a 3 month deal. Do I just toss that and go back at full price? Why can't the simply "reboot" my account and fix it? Why is the burden on me?

This is not a good way to get and keep new paying customers. I'm now about 3 days into a 3 month deal and already about to just eat the loss and toss Spotify. Very disappointed.

Apparently the last service that worked like users wanted it to was MOG, and Apple bought and killed that. Very disappointed. 

Have exact same issue.  They gave me a test account to test with and the genre based radio stations worked just fine under that account.  As soon as I logged in I saw the problem.  My account has different radio stations than the test account had.  For example I have a "alt rock" station.  The test account had one called "alternative" instead.  Also I am missing a lot of them like 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.  So looks like for some reason my account has old non-working stations accociated with it.....  Hope they can just fix my account because Im not creating a new one.

@jaybot wrote:

Have exact same issue.  They gave me a test account to test with and the genre based radio stations worked just fine under that account.  As soon as I logged in I saw the problem.  My account has different radio stations than the test account had.  For example I have a "alt rock" station.  The test account had one called "alternative" instead.  Also I am missing a lot of them like 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.  So looks like for some reason my account has old non-working stations accociated with it.....  Hope they can just fix my account because Im not creating a new one.

If I have to create a new account it will be on Google Play All Access.

Sweet. I opened a ticket with them and they fixed it for me. Not sure of its a app thing or account thing but I had to clear the app data after they made their change and now they work.

@jaybot wrote:
Sweet. I opened a ticket with them and they fixed it for me. Not sure of its a app thing or account thing but I had to clear the app data after they made their change and now they work.

I have already uninstalled/reinstalled the app so that's not it. It has to be an account thing. I set up a free account on my wife's phone and genre stations work fine. It's also been about a week since I contacted them and no response.

Hi,

How long did it take until they fixed the issue for you?

I opened a ticket 12 days ago (case #02176202), and except for the automated answer, I haven't heard from them 😞

BTW, how can you check the status of an open case??

About a week of going back and forth.  They said it was a bug and that they had fixed it but I had to reinstall the app (which I had already done before this like 5 times) before it would be fixed.  Instead I just cleared the app data and logged back in.  Then it worked so whatever they did on the backend fixed it.  Radio stations are still different in mobile than in desktop app but im guessing its supposed to be like that?

AT least you got them to talk to you. I have never heard a word. I did reinstall yesterday and it seems to work. Would have been nice of them to tell me.

I'm not sure it was worth the effort,. I don't know who categorizes their songs. I opened Blues and Jazz generes and was stunned to see Ten Years After is blues and Wison Pickett (Mustang Sally) is jazz. Strange.

Suggested posts