Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Goodbye Spotify - No Chromecast support and...

Solved!

Goodbye Spotify - No Chromecast support and...

I've been paying for Spotify premium for about a year.  Today, I cancelled my subscription.  The in-ability to transmit wirelessly to my audio/video system is the main reason for canceling.  Chromecast is a HUGE leap forward in Android technology.  Airplay for Apple is awesome and now Android can have this ability via Chromecast.  Yet Spotify won't even acknowledge postings on Chromecast.  

I just got done testing 3 different Miracast devices.  Just because I really want wireless access to my audio/video system.  Unfortunately, Miracast has many issues.  Google Music via Chromecast is light years ahead of Miracast.  I hate to learn a whole new platform with Google Music, but the convenience outweighs the inconvenience of a new platform.

Another issue is not being able to delete Playlists.  Really...this is just an elementary feature.  I hate having my Android's Spotify app so cluttered up with useless playlists that I created to test or just needed for temporary purposes.  

Just wanted to give some feedback to my cancellation.  Google is now getting my monthly fees.  

112 Replies

@peter

Playing local files and "adding album to playlist". I dont think Im the only one who used to browse the app and add interesting albums to an offlined playlist. Its pretty much the only way I use Spotify. Seeing how they handled landscape mode and SD-card storage made it clear it was time to move on if you are an android user. 

I agree with @G3K, the Chromecast will become a big market, and people will chose streaming apps that supports it.

You can always use Music Google.

That has support for Chromecast (obviously) 😄

I like it.

I just want to state for the record that I will also cancel my premium subscription to Spotify if they don't at least announce support for Chromecast in the near future. It's certainly not a niche product. It's extremely convenient, you can already use it with multiple apps, media players, podcasts, etc. Spotify connect is by no means a substitute.

I am sure I am not alone, so Spotify, you better acknowledge the requests from your users. I've used Spotify for most than a year and love it and preach it to my friends, but this is absolutely a deal-breaker.

you could just use the spotify web player and cast the tab from chrome... https://play.spotify.com

Sound quality is degraded when you stream from Chrome's tab to Chromecast.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but my DAC showed a much smaller sampling rate and it was materially audible.  

Now that the api is open for developers - will there be finally support for chromecast?

I was wondering the very same thing myself. Fingers-Crossed!

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

The least Spotify could do is issue another statment now since the SDK went public, I understand that beofer it was due to Google have control of what Apps would be whitelisted but now its just annoying. All these other Music services Rdio, Beats, Google Music, Pandora, all either have or have said that they were going to Support Chromecast but not Spotify. 

Its not that hard to implement, theres even thrid parties ive seen that are making playser to stream Spotify to TV's. The chromecast is a web browser which means all the Spotify App has to do is pretty much point the Chromecast app at a Link to a song, Sptofiy is a streaming service so the idea that the Chromecast wont work with is is stupid. Google Music is $10 a month same thing as Spotify just without the Desktop Client, its on all the Platforms and does Chromecast streaming. As much as i like Spotify i dont need go buy something that works with Spotify Connect, I have Chromecast and I would like a media service that works with it.

I'm considering the same action.  I've been a Spotify Premium sub for about 2 years and am about to cancel due to the lack of Chromecast support.  I LOVE the Chromecast model.  The Spotify app for Roku is alright, but it is hard to navigate via the roku remote or even the Roku mobile app.  The Chromecast model of controlling the media via the mobile apps is honestly one of the best ideas for connecting apps to AV systems.  So, if the powers at be are listening PLEASE formally say you will be adding Chromecast support in the coming month or so.  Otherwise you'll lose another paying customer to one of your competitors (most likely Google Music).

There is ofc always a possibility that this will come to spotify as well..

But I have had Google Music for quite some time now. 

And are very happy with that.

ChromeCast is awesomme. With the possibility to be more people to be able to queue up songs (or video at youtoube) makes it much easier when used in gatherings.

I have fully converted everything from Spotify to Google Music. And suspect that I will not return, As Google Music has all that spotify has (at least had when I used it last) and much more

Cheers

To stay competitive Spotify need to support Chromecast

Same with me i cancel my sub to becouse i use Google Play Music now just for them has chromecast support and a bit cheaper for premium. 

With nobody will keep hang one service some dosent support Chromecast just check one Plex.tv thire video app for stream local media was not popular before them added chromecast support for stream local media files frome PC to TV Video music images etc. 

Same is me music and Movies pages so long them dosent support Chromecast them will die. 

What dosent help you, its just about the computer but when its come to mobile man dosent open webbroswer in the phone man use the android app if man use spotify and that has not even Chromecast support. 

Why people ask for chromecast support its for its should work everywhere mobile android/ios/computer etc 

woah. That was a hard reply to read. Don't go all jamaica on us ^^

I actually don't quite understand what you actually ment.

You don't understand why people ask for Chromecast?

I agree...Spotify REALLY needs to acknowledge Android users. Android is bigger than iOS but yet Spotify ignores us. I've been a premium subscriber since 5+ years but now that Google Music is released for Swedish users I find myself using that more and more often even though I don't want that. I want to sponsor Spotify and not Google but it's getting harder to ignore all the issues 😕

Just cancelelled my Spotify subscription as well due to no Chromecast support. And actually now that Google music gives you the option to build a radio station off of a playlist I am more that satisfied with Google music. The only thing that sucked was manually creating playlists with 800ish songs in total.

Right,

We all know that at the moment there is no official Spotify support for the Chromecast and that's a shame. Unfortunately sometimes companies business strategy goes in a direction different from what the customer base might like.

Assuming it's clear in your mind that there isn't an official support for the Chromecast, there is quite a good alternative way of doing it even if definitely more tricky than just update Spotify to the latest version (I never lose hopes though!)

First of all this solution requires a rooted phone: if you don't know what I'm talking about stop here. Chances are you will do a mess with the risk of making your phone unusable!

Even if you know what a rooted device is, it doesn't mean that there aren't risks. Many are the devices with all possible different ROMs: things can ALWAYS go wrong making your phone as useful as a stone. So do it at your own resposability.

Said all that the procedure is relatively easy:
1)You need a program to "intercept" all the audio flow of your device first. For this purpose you need to install Xpose. You will not find it in the Google Play store. It has been developed by the XDA community: go there and download the latest version.

2)Install the BubbleUPNP application: it does support Chromecast (among other things). Developers have designed a module, Audio Cast, which simply sends all audio to the Chrome cast. This module uses Xpose (that's why you need to install it)

It's that simple. 🙂

Good luck!

Since Chromecast is not an Apple Inc product, I don't think Spotify even bother to support it. Spotify do love Apple Inc.

I have played a little the Rdio Chromecast support and I have to say it is pretty sweet.  Started playing from a tablet, then pulled up the website on my computer and could change tracks and queue up.  Very slick, I would love for Spotify to have that.

Use Rdio my friend, much better!

Suggested posts