Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Goodbye Spotify - No Chromecast support and...

Solved!

Goodbye Spotify - No Chromecast support and...

I've been paying for Spotify premium for about a year.  Today, I cancelled my subscription.  The in-ability to transmit wirelessly to my audio/video system is the main reason for canceling.  Chromecast is a HUGE leap forward in Android technology.  Airplay for Apple is awesome and now Android can have this ability via Chromecast.  Yet Spotify won't even acknowledge postings on Chromecast.  

I just got done testing 3 different Miracast devices.  Just because I really want wireless access to my audio/video system.  Unfortunately, Miracast has many issues.  Google Music via Chromecast is light years ahead of Miracast.  I hate to learn a whole new platform with Google Music, but the convenience outweighs the inconvenience of a new platform.

Another issue is not being able to delete Playlists.  Really...this is just an elementary feature.  I hate having my Android's Spotify app so cluttered up with useless playlists that I created to test or just needed for temporary purposes.  

Just wanted to give some feedback to my cancellation.  Google is now getting my monthly fees.  

112 Replies

I have used rdio in the past and didn't find the sound quality to be as good but I will check it out again. Also though, I like having "stations" like Slacker along with the option to influence the station plus a custom Playlist genre station - both Google music and Slacker has that feature and the only way I'd get mgk style songs followed by Jake Owen followed by slipknot without making my own custom Playlist.

For me is the best solution, clean design, not difficult to use, chromecast support and I can use mi iPhone as a ipod with Rdio Offline synchronization (in Argentina 3G is not so good most of times). 

Just downloaded it and paid for a month, sound quality isn't too good, even when set to high. The app is very nice though, and radio stations have thumbs up/down along with a slider for adventurous to popular in a 5 position slide. I will give it a thorough try, but still put off by the sound quality vs Google music and Spotify. Thank ya!

Not sure if I'm beating a dead horse here but i just signed up for the free trial - i love the service so far but was astounded to find spotify doesn't have Chromecast support. Wha?! Bummer, it appears im going to keeping my rhapsody account after all. Anyone have any updates as to if and when? Thx

Well as from what I read from July. Spotify has still not planned to support chromecast. But still for me, Music Google is now at least as good as spotify. And that has Ofc full support for chromecast.
Now even twitch has joined with chromecast coverage.

I had previously replied in this thread that I was going to leave due to no chromecast support, but I'll be honest I have not left. I tried Google Music all access and the mobile aop works nice, but I missed the full Spotify Windows client for the desktop. I kept accidentally closing Chrome which closed the Google Music tab. I however got lucky and my smartphone HTC One (m7) now supports full Chromecast mirroring so I can mirror my smartphone screen & Audio on the TV making mobile Spotify work with the Chromecast (all be it in a roundabout way).

I also canceled my subscription because the lack of chromecast support. Maybe Lollipop will improve the situation and make me reconsider.

Spotify is a Good product but we make our choices as well. I use the free version of Spotify and I will stay in this situation until Chromecast support will not be added (I doubt it will ever happen 🙂 ). Lollipop will not change anything kzahel since it's due to Spotify to enable the support and they don't do that for a technical reason but for a political/strategic choice. (Google is a big competitor)

But with AuduoCast I can stream Spotify to the Chromecast and to any UPnP device like my lovely PURE speakers with top quality. 🙂

There is always a workaround, no matter what.

While it may have been Spotify's choice to not create a Chromecast extension, let's take a moment to understand how the Chromecast works.

The Google Chromecast requires every developer register their application with the Google Corporation's Google Cast services. In order for any app (on the web, on Android, or on iOS) to make its way to the Chromecast, a first hop must be made to Google's servers in California or wherever.

So, as someone who has had my Google Chromecast app removed from the Google Cast repository by the Google Corporation, I can assure you that Google can, and will, remove any apps they feel like from their whitelist.

Hi,

Yes, you are absolutely right, Google can and will remove any application which can put at risk their roadmap/strategy.
At the end they are not a charity organization so it doesn't surprise me that much.

Said that, Google has allowed other third part applications to be in the Play Store even if they come from the competitors.
Take as an example Deezer.

Deezer is a music streaming service like Spotify or Google Music so in line of principle a competitor. Nevertheless Deezer do support the Chromecast, it's a very nice application and Google have not removed it from the store.

I'm just saying that I don't think Google would remove Spotify from the Play Store just because they add the Chromecast support and I'm pretty sure not even Spotify think that. 🙂

Cheers,
Sergio

Totally agree! I love spotify as a service and interface but am completely at a loss why they would not enable a means for you to listen to it on your connected equipment. There is no doubt in my mind they will follow suit as with google cast for audio around the corner, if they don't, they will be left behind by the services that do. Spotify TAKE NOTE. You are losing satisfied customers because your technology is missing an evolution step. Once those customers go to another service it will not be soneasy to get them back.
Marked as solution

Everyone is on Google Play Music now. Only people left on Spotify are those who are getting premium for free, even then a lot of people are still using Google Play Music.

Not everyone on iOS

no chromecast-support, then I will quit spotify and go back to my cd's

Pfff screw all of you people complaining, they are probably in talks with Google as we "speak". And to be honest if you really want the best sound (considering it already been compressed once) just spend a few bucks on a wire that's RAC plugs on one end and a 3.5 jack on the other and have a hard wire connection. LESS COMPRESSION LESS SOUND LOSS

Just check this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q0yZomXuSw

Is awsome with Chromecast for Audio if man have speakers some support it at home. Like i do and that relly awsome just hit the cast button just for get the sound to all steros, and players in the house. 

you can also find more here 

http://www.google.com/cast/audio/

To be honest, I use headphones most of the time, besides that I either hard wire like I said, or I use the spoitcast app. Either way I choose to go depending on my mood, I have sound I'm happy with.
ROCK-N-ROLL PUMPKIN

Hi Jack,

You don't need to be so extreme pretending that only audiophiles should
listen to music. Life is not only black and white as you want to depict it.

Compressing audio is not evil, it just depends on the quality of the
compression and Spotify do use compressed audio as well, so I'm not sure
why did you even mention this aspect which is completely off topic.

If you don't like compressed music that's fair enough but let other people
do what they want too: this is a Spotify forum thread.

Coming back to your original statement that "as we speak" Spotify are
talking with Google about supporting Google Cast, this is not (yet?) an
information which is publicly available so two are the options: you are
talking random (I hope not) or you work in one of the two parties involved
(Spotify or Google).

If Spotify will enable the Chromecast support (after more than two years)
it's only because they realized that strategically it was a wrong choice.

Spotify is now facing the pressure of many competitors and need to react
fast!

So if and when they will add this support, it will still be something that
they should have done years ago.

Personally, I think it is not going to happen but I would be more than
happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers
Sergio

lol. Can't believe I just read that.
What is the point of Chromecast if you're using cable. Perhaps you should
read the post before you leave a comment like this.
Apparently you forgot how to Forum.
But by all means enjoy your spotify and cable.

For home use, hell ya I have a cable, I also use the spoitcast app which allows you to cast Spotify to your Chromecast. While I do enjoy the wireless convenience of using spoitcast, some times I want to have a sci-fi b movie playing on my TV as visuals, as I listen to my tunes. Can't cast music and watch video at the same time, that's when I hard wire. Until I can cast multiple thing at once, I will always hard wire for music 50% of the time.

Suggested posts