Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Goodbye Spotify - No Chromecast support and...

Solved!

Goodbye Spotify - No Chromecast support and...

I've been paying for Spotify premium for about a year.  Today, I cancelled my subscription.  The in-ability to transmit wirelessly to my audio/video system is the main reason for canceling.  Chromecast is a HUGE leap forward in Android technology.  Airplay for Apple is awesome and now Android can have this ability via Chromecast.  Yet Spotify won't even acknowledge postings on Chromecast.  

I just got done testing 3 different Miracast devices.  Just because I really want wireless access to my audio/video system.  Unfortunately, Miracast has many issues.  Google Music via Chromecast is light years ahead of Miracast.  I hate to learn a whole new platform with Google Music, but the convenience outweighs the inconvenience of a new platform.

Another issue is not being able to delete Playlists.  Really...this is just an elementary feature.  I hate having my Android's Spotify app so cluttered up with useless playlists that I created to test or just needed for temporary purposes.  

Just wanted to give some feedback to my cancellation.  Google is now getting my monthly fees.  

112 Replies

Then why are you posting here? If you use cable. This post doesn't concern you...

If you read my post, I cast as well. I use the app Spoitcast. But for the times I want music and video I hard wire. So yes, I should be posting here, BECAUSE I DO CAST. And if you people would stop complaining and actually look into things, YOU CAN CAST SPOTIFY TO YOUR CHROMECAST ITS CALLED SPOTICAST, I USE IT ALL THE TIMES WITH NO PROBLEMS

I don't care how the music gets to my stereo, and then to my ears, as long as it happens.

Again, if you want to cast you SPOTIFY to Chromecast download the app SPOTICAST. Problem solved

Interestingly, Spotify works perfectly well on the Amazon Fire TV stick.
This is basically a Chromecast that you can install apps on, though it just
acts as a Spotify Connect device.

Then perhaps Google is blocking out Spotify, so they can work with Pandora and build up their service. Now that's not a crazy thought. Maybe SPOTIFY would love nothing more then to use Chromecast, but Google said "No, we got our own thing." So, in response the made SPOTIFY Connect to work with everything else that's not Google owned.

None of us really knows what's going behind the curtain, so to speak. All I know is that I have tried other music services, and having to download and extra app to be able to cast to my Chromecast isn't a big issue, considering I found other services too klunky, or recommended/pushed music on me I had no desire to hear. I don't need a feed, I'm a festival junkie and always have new bands to look up, and no matter how obscure I find them. And their new weekly recommendation playlist is right on par with my listening habit. Sadly at the rate I collect music, I already now about most of the artist, but it has given me quite a few new ones. In my opinion, SPOTIFY understands the hardcore music junkie, give me my music with the opportunity to discover more without forcing specific artist on me because that's how you really make your cash

There is no solid evidence Google is blocking Spotify out, but:

1. The ChromeCast is just a web browser, ilt doesn't run apps.
  2. Every "app" that runs on the Chromecast needs to be on the Google Corporation's whitelist.
  3. Google has its own music service it desperately wants people to use.

Just sayin'.

For me, I bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick, which has better specs and can run Spotify AND Amazon Prime Videos, two things the Google cast cannot.

"Goodbye Chromecast, no Spotify support."

Marked as solution

Been thinking about getting one just for Spotify, it does work for Netflix as well, right? At least I thought it did.

I don't know why people think Chromecast/Google are the only game in town. Is Chromecast nice, ya, I love mine, but it's not the only choice. And I may buy a different dongle just to say F&@k Google and Chromecast. Nah, I'll just have 2 different dongles, my choice lol, they're cheap enough

It does Netflix, Plex (the free, local media server), and allegedly YouTube although I haven't tested it out yet. The only thing that appears to be missing is Google Play Movies, but I could care less about that. 

PROBLEM SOLVED
Just buy a different $40 dongle. They all do the same basic thing, as long as I have Netflix and Spotify I'm happy. And with Chromecast I do have both, just need to down load an extra app as patch so to speak. Ooooo big hassle. For those who just arrived that app is SPOITCAST, it works. It's a little klunky, but once you play with the setting its more or less automatic

Don't help Google turn into BIG BROTHER lol, AREN'T WE AGAINST MONOPOLIES IN THIS COUNTRY ANYWAY LOL

You can install the YouTube app on it. I use it all the time.

I'm getting an Amazon fire stick just.... Because. Not gonna sign up for their services, since they allow Netflix and Spotify. So really its gonna come down to had the most compatible dongle.

When using amazons, do I have to use that little remote, or can I use my phone as my remote. I'm good either way.

There is an Android remote app for the fireTV stick which allows you to use
a keyboard

Hi Jack,

That's not the point. I use BubbleUPnP to stream Spotify over the
Chromecast and works perfectly. I just want Spotify to enable the support
for the Chromecast natively.

I don't agree with you about the fact that it's Google's fault for not
enabling Google Cast support on Spotify as the SDK is freely and publicly
available. Everybody can write apps supporting Google Cast.

Spotify do not support the Chromecast just because it has been decided not
to.

Other devices do support Spotify, with other apps it is possible to stream
music over the Chromecast but as now these all tricks. The millions of
users owning a Chromecast can not use it with Spotify without a hack.

There are users (like me) who think that this is wrong and will not
subscribe to Spotify services until this will not change.

As simple as that.

Cheers
Sergio

@_Sergio_ wrote:
 Everybody can write apps supporting Google Cast.

...except for the part where whether Spotify works is one hundred percent dependent on Google Corporation whitelisting it in their app store.

This is the Google equivalent to Apple. If they don't like the app, they can keep it out.

The amount of mis-information in this thread is incredible.  Just because someone writes "it''s not whitelisted by Google" doesn't make it true.  

Google has NOT blacklisted Spotify.  Spotify is free to make their own app (that's already on Google Play store) Chromecast compatible.  However, they have chosen not to do so.  Spotify has given confusing signals in the past regarding their support for Chromecast.  

Google has not said anything about blacklisting Spotify for Chromecast.  Spotify already has an app for Androidl.  They've had it for years!  They just don't add the Chromecast support.  

The average consumer needs to realize that there is a lot corporate dickery when it come to their computing needs. Why not block a service that can and will take customers away from you service.
I'm not saying that's what's happening, but it very well could be, by switching over you could be falling for Google's marketing bait.

I will say this again, it isn't about the app you use, but what dongle you buy. That's the real battle going on, the dongles are where the "control" is. If you choose Google's Chromecast you can't use Spotify. If you want Spotify, buy a different dongle, like Amazon's fire stick. Or once again the SPOTICAST app if you really want to use Spotify with Chromecast or just go hard wire. Soon I'll have the option for all 3. I'm getting an Amazon fire stick

None of us know why, only Google and Spotify know the true reasons. Just pick your service and shut up. Don't mean to sound rude, but come on people, its as simple as picking the service you like. You don't like Spotify, use Google play. But there will always be people who want a something different

Five seconds on Google and I already see how to sideload apps onto the Fire Stick... so for anyone choosing between devices and you want power, the Fire TV/Stick are the way to go.

Anyway, this isn't the solution I'd hoped for, but I'm glad to see Chromecast alternatives mentioned elsewhere in this thread

Lol... Why would they need to be in talks with google? They'd just need to
implement it in their app. No negotiations need to happen.

Google Play is awesome though for those of you still who haven't switched.
Less social than spotify, though. That was my only issue initially, but I
got over it.

@shherr wrote:
Lol... Why would they need to be in talks with google? They'd just need to
implement it in their app. No negotiations need to happen.

Does Spotify really need Google Corporation to approve their app? Yes. Yes they do.

You must register your application through the developer console. You may not circumvent that registration process, either for yourself or others.

--Google Corp

I've personally developed for the Chromecast. Developing for the Chromecast is garbage. Google Corp's support when I developed was also garbage. I have personally experienced this garbage. It's garbage, and unless you hack your router or the ChromeCast itself there's no subverting it.

When you're on your web browser and you see a cute little Chromecast button, and you click it, Google is scouring their own curated whitelist for a URL with the same name as the page you're currently on. If it's in their private database, the corresponding "receiver" page is displayed in your web browser. But only if it's following their rules.

Suggested posts