Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Assistant opens app, but will not play song. Incredibly frustrating.

Google Assistant opens app, but will not play song. Incredibly frustrating.

Pixel XL 2, it is impossible to get Google assistant to play a song. It will open the app but never starts to play music. I have already spoken to google support, unistalled and reinstalled both the Google app and Spotify, cleared caches, restarted numerous times. Speaking through a bluetooth headset or just to the phone, doesn't work. Many other complaints about the same issue, can we please get a fix?? Most annoying bug EVER!!!!

36 Replies

Hey, I have a Pixel 2 XL and it works perfectly fine. You just have to link your spotify account by going to Google Assistant Settings > Music and tap the link icon on the right. I think this is a spotify limitation not a google assistant limitation.

It has been linked since the day I took my phone out of the box, I have unlinked/relinked multiple times to try and fix this.

Do you have Spotify Premium? It might require the premium api. You could also try downloading the Google Assistant app (ONLY if its not in your app drawer) to be on the latest version of Google Assistant.

I have premium and I also have the most recent rev.

I am having the same issue.  It worked in the past, but has recently stopped working.  It'll only open the app, not play the song.

Same problem. Pixel 2 XL. Been e-mailing with Spotify support for two days. They don't have a fix for it yet. If it persists I have to switch services. The entire reason I switched to Android was to be able to control Spotify with voice commands (cannot do so on iPhone).

Ya voice integration with Spotify was a huge draw for me as well.

Experienced this problem as well.  It had worked for months before recently.

I wonder whose fault it is: Google or Spotify?

I am in the same boat, just swaped from IPhone to pixel 2 XL and this feature was one of the reasons. It worked for the first few hours out the box and now it no longer works 

I've been having the same problem with my pixel but only Intermittently. Does anyone know of a way that you can get the Spotify player to cast to Sonos as a default, using Google assistant from my pixel or google home? 

Sonos say they will enable GA support this year. In the meantime, the answer seems to be to use Chromecast as described here.

I have noticed this in the past few days as well.  tell it to play a song or playlist while I am driving, but now it doesn't seem to be opening any songs or playlists anymore.  It only opens the app after several seconds of thinking about it.  GA used to immediately open the app when I said play a song, but now it waits several seconds and doesnt play anything once the app opens. 

I have the same Problem, after a rebbot of the phone it works once. Then i installed an older spotify.apk, now its open the correct Title but no autoplay. So i might should check more old versions 😉 so imho a Spotify problem not google.

Exactly the same problem on my OnePlus 3.

This was a big reason why I switched to Android. 

Can you let me know your contact at Spotify is so I can make my case, my below ticket doesn't seem to have got anywhere!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Google-Assistant-specific-song/m-p/4370086

My Google Assistant started opening Spotify again fwiw. I use a Pixel which is usually the first to get Android updates since it is Google's product, so they should be coming to other Android phones soon.

Looks like this has been fixed for me. Thank you Spotify. 

It seems to be working for me as well.  I'm not sure if it was Google or Spotify that fixed it, but thank you.

Suggested posts