Premium

Country

The Netherlands 

Device

Oneplus 5

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Since a couple of weeks I make use of the Google clock, in which a function is built to make use of Spotify songs as wake up sound. I have to first start the Spotify application to be able to select a song in the clock app. However, after selecting s song, every morning my alarm only beeps very loud without playing any Spotify song, and a message is shown. Translated from Dutch to English it says: 'can not connect to Spotify. You do not hear a Spotify alarm'. I reinstalled both apps multiple times and rebooted my phone as well, but until now nothing seems to be working. 

Screenshot_20190627-231651.jpg
Screenshot_20190627-231805.jpg
Top Answer
Miso0715
Visitor

I may be a little late with the answer, but i might've found a solution! 

If you open Spotify first and play something, Google Clock actually sees Spotify then and you could pick out music. (At least, it hadn't worked for me before and now has/does!)

Hope this still helps somebody! 

Cheers! 

29 Replies

Thank you!!! I've been going crazy about this for months, not finding any solution. This helped!

I tried all the steps with no luck.  I do have 2 notes though:

1 - Since I'm running a Google Pixel 2, I cannot uninstall the Google Clock App

2 - On my Spotify account apps page, I do not have the Google Clock App listed to Remove Access from (both before and after these instructions).  I do have Google, and Google Maps listed, but no clock.

I see the Spotify tab in the clock, but when I press the tab, it shows a black screen with a spinner, that goes on infinitely.

This only happened for me after I was forced to do a factory reset of my phone...  Since then I cannot connect to Spotify through the Clock app.

I'm running a Pixel 2, Android 11 kernel 4.4.223 with latest security update Oct 5/2020, wifi and 4G.

Clock version 6.3.1

Spotify version 8.5.85.894

Hey @robandres,

Thanks for posting.

Keep in mind that Spotify requires Android OS 4.1 or above in order to function properly. Most likely the issues appeared on your phone after the factory reset, because it reverted to an earlier, unsupported version. We advise you to run all possible updates for your Android and Google apps.

Let us know if that helped.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Ooops, that's a typo in my original post.  I'm running Android 11, kernel 4.4.223.  I'll go back and change the post

Hey @robandres,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

If you have an SD card, we'd suggest you remove it, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD. Sometimes the card can lead to different issues.

If the issue persists, we'd recommend getting in touch with our support team here. The folks there can investigate this further and give you more information about it.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This fixed it for me - I had swapped over to a new phone and my alarms could not play Spotify songs.
Thanks

Hey @mmulvihill,

Thanks for posting here on the Community.

We’re happy to hear that troubleshooting your SD card and reinstalling the app fixed the issue for you. 

Give us a shout if you experience this again - we're always here to help.

Cheers! 

Hi. I'm having  the same issue with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9. Will try the steps above and let you know. I'm optimistic with app permissions and battery settings... those might solve the problem for me. Hopefully tomorrow I won't wake up to an annoying loud beeping sound.

I may be a little late with the answer, but i might've found a solution! 

If you open Spotify first and play something, Google Clock actually sees Spotify then and you could pick out music. (At least, it hadn't worked for me before and now has/does!)

Hope this still helps somebody! 

Cheers! 

Realy old but I had the same issue and I think I fixed it. In case someone else has the issue, because none of the given solutions helped me. You need to set the app setting 'Autostart' for spotify. And there you need to allow, that spotify gets started by another app.

Settings ==> Apps ==> Manage Apps ==> Spotify ==> autostart ==> Allow the app to be started by other app and Allow app to start automatically. I don't think the second one is necessary, but Im not trying to play around with it. So I  just activate it

Suggested posts