Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[HTC Wildfire S]Audio slowing and dropping out since updating last night.

Solved!

[HTC Wildfire S]Audio slowing and dropping out since updating last night.

I updated to the latest version of spotify last night on my htc wildfire s. Since then the audio often (every 5 mins or so) drops out and/or slows down. This is with both downloaded and streamed content. I've reinstalled the app to no avail. Other audio players on the device are fine. Has something in the audio path been updated that requires a load more mips or something? Would anyone be able to point me at an installer for an earlier version so I can roll back to that? Gonna have to cancel my subsription otherwise 😞

EDIT: Subject edited as this appears to be phone-specific.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It's interesting that it's not obvious what the support email is until you unsubscribe.

Anyhow, Spotify uninstalled. Amazon mp3 player installed. Subscription cancelled. Problem solved 🙂

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@mgb87

There is no official method of rolling back to older versions (that I know of). The best way is to keep copies of the APK yourself, you can download the latest official Spotify APK from http://download.spotify.com/android/SpotifyAndroid.apk and keep these for future reference.

However this won't help you now, as that will give you the version 0.7..APK. So if you haven't kept older versions you will have to find another source. I have a feeling it would be wrong to post links to external sites so the best I can do is suggest you Google for "Spotify 0.6.6.270 Apk". The one from apks dot org works fine.

I am currently working with Spotify Support to solve this issue for my Wildfire S, unfortunately, this has been held up because I have moved to a new country and need to update my payment details and address to continue my premium subscription..

View solution in original post

36 Replies

Oh... Android 2.3.5 if that's useful

Did you delete the spotify cache before you reinstalled? If not, could you try again following the instructions in the troubleshooting post and let me know if it makes any difference?

Hi,

Thanks for replying 🙂

I'd not deleted the cache but I've just run through the instructions you linked to (Which I should have done in the first place really) and the problem is still there unfortunately.

Marked as solution

It's interesting that it's not obvious what the support email is until you unsubscribe.

Anyhow, Spotify uninstalled. Amazon mp3 player installed. Subscription cancelled. Problem solved 🙂

I also have a Wildfire S and encountered the same problem after I updated a couple weeks ago. I tried stopping other processes, switching to airplane mode (it seemed to happen a lot when jumping network carriers, despite being in offline mode and playing cached music), but always the same, at some point after the screen sleeps the music will stutter as if a huge process is using up all the CPU.

In the end my solution was to downgrade back to 0.6.2.64 - it was a random choice I simply googled 0.6 and that was the first I found. It would be nice if Spotify made it easier to roll back to a previous version but whatever. Hopefully, a future update will resolve this issue.

Description

When I try to play songs (offline and online) all of them are slowed down until I stop and play again after few seconds (but it doesn't always help). It doesn't matter if I have opened more apps in the background, or if I have wifi or internet on. It happens always on every song. It looks like my phone is not powerfull enough to run music by Spotify, but this kind of problems doesn't occur in other music players.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Your device

HTC Wildfire S

Device’s Operating System

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

25 MB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

800 MB

Is your device rooted?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

My mobile Spotify version

0.7.2.402-g40e8dcb4

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

0.9.4.185.g7545a404

My mobile provider and country

Plus GSM, Poland

My username

struś

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Does it stabilise if you let it run for a while? I would recommend deleting the cache from spotify/options. This means you will have to resynch or redownload your music but it will rule out the possibility of cache issues.

Did you have a lot of offline music stored? Maybe see if it behaves better with some more free storage space.

Deleting cache doesn't solve the problem. If I synchronize only one playlist (10 songs), problem still occurs.

@Constantino wrote:

I also have a Wildfire S and encountered the same problem after I updated a couple weeks ago. I tried stopping other processes, switching to airplane mode (it seemed to happen a lot when jumping network carriers, despite being in offline mode and playing cached music), but always the same, at some point after the screen sleeps the music will stutter as if a huge process is using up all the CPU.

In the end my solution was to downgrade back to 0.6.2.64 - it was a random choice I simply googled 0.6 and that was the first I found. It would be nice if Spotify made it easier to roll back to a previous version but whatever. Hopefully, a future update will resolve this issue.

Hello, please could you let me know how you rolled back to an older version of Spotify? I'm also having playback stutter problems with the HTC Wildfire S, which seems to be resolved if the screen is left unlocked. Thanks.

@strus I moved your posts into a thread of similar issues with the Wildfire. I'm going to escalate this issue to the staff but you might want to contact Spotify direct too by using the online contact form.

Hi everyone! We'll need to gather a bit more info on this in order to help. 

If you could all fill out the template like @strus did it would be a great help. You can also find that template here: Android Troubleshooting

Info such as your device's OS is key to helping sort out what's going on. Thanks!

Description

After a short while of the phone being locked and the screen being turned off, playback stutters on Spotify Mobile for HTC Wildfire S. This does not occur if the screen is turned on and the phone is unlocked. This seems to occur playing music at all quality levels. 

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

The error occurred since the last update of Spotify Mobile. 

What I expected to happen

Songs would play normally.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

HTC Wildfire S

Device’s Operating System

Android 2.3.5

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

33.80 MB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

26.20 GB

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

No option, Spotify mobile selects my external SD card for storage as default.

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

My mobile Spotify version

0.7.2.402-g40e8dcb4

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and country

Orange, United Kingdom

My username

mgb87

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No

@mgb87 - Would it be possible to clear out some internal storage space as a test? 

I'm wondering is Spotify trying to cache data but there isn't enough space (or it can't write to the SD card fast enough) and that is giving you jumpy playback. 

Although not sure why it would only happen with the screen off!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

@mgb87

There is no official method of rolling back to older versions (that I know of). The best way is to keep copies of the APK yourself, you can download the latest official Spotify APK from http://download.spotify.com/android/SpotifyAndroid.apk and keep these for future reference.

However this won't help you now, as that will give you the version 0.7..APK. So if you haven't kept older versions you will have to find another source. I have a feeling it would be wrong to post links to external sites so the best I can do is suggest you Google for "Spotify 0.6.6.270 Apk". The one from apks dot org works fine.

I am currently working with Spotify Support to solve this issue for my Wildfire S, unfortunately, this has been held up because I have moved to a new country and need to update my payment details and address to continue my premium subscription..

Hi Peter, I've actually done a complete factory reset of my device and run Spotify with no apps installed, and the problem persisted. I am almost certain it's a problem with the latest update of Spotify, as a few months ago I enjoyed stutterless playback on the highest bitrate. Thanks for suggestion, though. 🙂

@Constantino wrote:

@mgb87

Thanks, I'll give this a go. If it works it'll be a nice temporary fix. 

I'm now running version 0.6.6.270 on my HTC Wildfire S. I have 'Extreme Quality' selected for downloaded files. No more stuttering, which means I don't have to cancel Spotify premium account, and can instead make the most of it. Ideally I'd like the latest version, but this will do until the problem is resolved. 

Anyone knows if it was fixed in 0.7.3?

Hello Strus, 

I can confirm that it does skip with the latest version of spotify. I know this because my Spotify automatically updated and it really p***ed me off. Don't update to this version. 

@strus wrote:

Anyone knows if it was fixed in 0.7.3?

Suggested posts