[HTC Wildfire S]Audio slowing and dropping out since updating last night.

Solved!

[HTC Wildfire S]Audio slowing and dropping out since updating last night.

CarlGant
Casual Listener

I updated to the latest version of spotify last night on my htc wildfire s. Since then the audio often (every 5 mins or so) drops out and/or slows down. This is with both downloaded and streamed content. I've reinstalled the app to no avail. Other audio players on the device are fine. Has something in the audio path been updated that requires a load more mips or something? Would anyone be able to point me at an installer for an earlier version so I can roll back to that? Gonna have to cancel my subsription otherwise :(

EDIT: Subject edited as this appears to be phone-specific.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Audio slowing and dropping out since updating last night.

CarlGant
Casual Listener

It's interesting that it's not obvious what the support email is until you unsubscribe.

Anyhow, Spotify uninstalled. Amazon mp3 player installed. Subscription cancelled. Problem solved :)

Solution!

Constantino
Regular

@mgb87

There is no official method of rolling back to older versions (that I know of). The best way is to keep copies of the APK yourself, you can download the latest official Spotify APK from http://download.spotify.com/android/SpotifyAndroid.apk and keep these for future reference.

However this won't help you now, as that will give you the version 0.7..APK. So if you haven't kept older versions you will have to find another source. I have a feeling it would be wrong to post links to external sites so the best I can do is suggest you Google for "Spotify 0.6.6.270 Apk". The one from apks dot org works fine.

I am currently working with Spotify Support to solve this issue for my Wildfire S, unfortunately, this has been held up because I have moved to a new country and need to update my payment details and address to continue my premium subscription..

36 Replies

CarlGant
Casual Listener

Oh... Android 2.3.5 if that's useful

Joe
Community Legend

Did you delete the spotify cache before you reinstalled? If not, could you try again following the instructions in the troubleshooting post and let me know if it makes any difference?

CarlGant
Casual Listener

Hi,

Thanks for replying :)

I'd not deleted the cache but I've just run through the instructions you linked to (Which I should have done in the first place really) and the problem is still there unfortunately.

Solution!

CarlGant
Casual Listener

It's interesting that it's not obvious what the support email is until you unsubscribe.

Anyhow, Spotify uninstalled. Amazon mp3 player installed. Subscription cancelled. Problem solved :)

Constantino
Regular

I also have a Wildfire S and encountered the same problem after I updated a couple weeks ago. I tried stopping other processes, switching to airplane mode (it seemed to happen a lot when jumping network carriers, despite being in offline mode and playing cached music), but always the same, at some point after the screen sleeps the music will stutter as if a huge process is using up all the CPU.

In the end my solution was to downgrade back to 0.6.2.64 - it was a random choice I simply googled 0.6 and that was the first I found. It would be nice if Spotify made it easier to roll back to a previous version but whatever. Hopefully, a future update will resolve this issue.

Songs slowing down

strus
Casual Listener

Description

When I try to play songs (offline and online) all of them are slowed down until I stop and play again after few seconds (but it doesn't always help). It doesn't matter if I have opened more apps in the background, or if I have wifi or internet on. It happens always on every song. It looks like my phone is not powerfull enough to run music by Spotify, but this kind of problems doesn't occur in other music players.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Your device

HTC Wildfire S

Device’s Operating System

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

25 MB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

800 MB

Is your device rooted?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

My mobile Spotify version

0.7.2.402-g40e8dcb4

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

0.9.4.185.g7545a404

My mobile provider and country

Plus GSM, Poland

My username

struś

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Re: Songs slowing down

Joe
Community Legend

Does it stabilise if you let it run for a while? I would recommend deleting the cache from spotify/options. This means you will have to resynch or redownload your music but it will rule out the possibility of cache issues.

Did you have a lot of offline music stored? Maybe see if it behaves better with some more free storage space.

Re: Songs slowing down

strus
Casual Listener

Deleting cache doesn't solve the problem. If I synchronize only one playlist (10 songs), problem still occurs.

mgb87
Music Fan

@Constantino wrote:

I also have a Wildfire S and encountered the same problem after I updated a couple weeks ago. I tried stopping other processes, switching to airplane mode (it seemed to happen a lot when jumping network carriers, despite being in offline mode and playing cached music), but always the same, at some point after the screen sleeps the music will stutter as if a huge process is using up all the CPU.

In the end my solution was to downgrade back to 0.6.2.64 - it was a random choice I simply googled 0.6 and that was the first I found. It would be nice if Spotify made it easier to roll back to a previous version but whatever. Hopefully, a future update will resolve this issue.

Hello, please could you let me know how you rolled back to an older version of Spotify? I'm also having playback stutter problems with the HTC Wildfire S, which seems to be resolved if the screen is left unlocked. Thanks.

SUGGESTED POSTS