Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I add whole album to existing playlist? (lost since updating to v0.5.0.1247)

Solved!

How can I add whole album to existing playlist? (lost since updating to v0.5.0.1247)

Hi,

Since a recent Spotify update, I seem to have lost the ability to add a whole album to an existing playlist.

I have noticed this problem since Spotify updated on my mobile to v0.5.0.1247 (I don't know what version I had prior to this).  The overall changes are a great improvement, but I miss this feature.

Does anyone know a workaround?  (Perhaps this function is accessible somewhere I haven't noticed)

Thanks,

49 Replies

Technically, the feature is there. Go to the album name, right click, choose add to, and then select the playlist. Problem is there are no more subfolders within a Genre type playlist. So you can't have Rap and then Southern, West Coast, East Coast, and Mid-West sub folders.

Going to cancel premium soon if this is not added back, this is ridiculous!

Marked as solution

Seriously stupid. It's frustrating enough to rant about on Facebook. Time to cancel

When will this function be readded to the Anroid version of Spotify?! Talk about a silly change!

You can add an album to q playlist. See my comments above in this thread.

You can add an album to a new or existing playlist from the album cover view. Just click the triangle symbol and add away 🙂

I can create a new playlist with this function (Album or track selected creates this new playlist), but I
can't add an album to an existing playlist. Am I missing something?

Sorry, I think I the beer got the better of me. You're right, it can't be done. You can add a track to an existing playlist or an album to a new playlist 😞

Let's support this idea together!

What about the users who don't have a computer?

+1...I just switched to Android for iOS and this is a big drawback as I liked to be able to manage my playlists directly on the phone. It's actually bad enough that if I found a comparable music service, I might unsubscribed from Spotify.

I really don't get the limitation as there is no technical reasons behind this.

I got spotify today and its really bad that I can not do this on the mobile app. I see this thread is 1 year old, and the problem is not fixed. Really sad...

Same here just got spotify and really miss this function drives me mad not being able to listen to my whole library on shuffle

I found out this trick, hold on the ctrl key and click the ones you want, -> right click and add to playlist. It's not the way it used to be but only takes 30 seconds 

This works perfectly for the computer app. The original question was in regards to the Android app. Unfortunately there is no ctrl or way to select multiple songs on Android... yet?

Why hasn't this been resolved yet? Sitting next to my girlfriend who's on iOS7 and the feature exists there.

Spotify. Please listen. There is a simple solution to this. Change "Add As Playlist" to "Add To Playlist" and at the top of the ensuing popup, have an option called "Add As New Playlist." Voila! Now users can easily add the music to either an existing playlist or as a new playlist on its own. 

Integrating this solution adds only one more click for those who want to add an album as its own playlist while opening the door to massive new and necessary functionality. That is more than worth that small trade-off.

Of course, you could have both an option for "Add as Playlist" and "Add To Playlist" to eliminate that extra step, but apparently you think this is too confusing for us users. I can understand that. But that kind of thinking is also why I have left Spotify Premium for Google Music. And I will stay with Google Music until Spotify decides to stop making decisions for me, starts listening to users, and puts the power back in our hands.

(Also, have you considered that some users might not have computers and only have a smartphone? You are essentially making your service unusable to an entire group of people who might otherwise love to use it.)

On iOS - at least, on the iPad - there's a plus sign that lets you add the full album to a playlist - that function should be also implemented on playlists as well -- that way, I can add playlists of current songs to my Club Classics playlist all at once (search for arthurvasey or Club Classics to find it!).

It's ridiculous, why in the hell I would want to add an albus As a Playlist and not to a Playlist if I will not be able to add any further album to it. It absolutely makes no sense. I'm trying the premium account, but with limitations like these I think I'll stick with Google Music All Access

You can make whole playlists out of an album set - click on the cross and, having created the playlist, add further albums in the set - my Best Years Of Our Lives playlist and Top Of The Pops playlist were done like that - in theory, you could have a playlist featuring the entire back catalogue of a favourite group or singer - assuming it all exists - compilation albums could be made into one huge playlist of eighteen million songs, lasting over a month - there's a series called This Is ..., followed by a year, starting in 1960 and covering each year to 1999 - each disc covering a year - except that 1964 appears to be missing - a full playlist of that might go down a treat at a house party - not so much at a disco, as there are some ballads and so on - but a good mix, especially if played on shuffle play!

Arthur, the problem is with the Android app. There is no cross and no option to add an album to an existing Playlist, only to save the album as a new Playlist, what is almost useless. Others have stated that the iOS app has the option to add albums to Playlist just like the desktop and web UI. Can't figure out they removed it from the Android app. I never use the computer to listen to music, so it's an important feature to have on tje mobile app.

Suggested posts