Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How to stop Spotify starting when I switch on Bluetooth?

Solved!

How to stop Spotify starting when I switch on Bluetooth?

I have Spotify installed on a Pixel 5, running Android 12 (standard build).

Whenever I switch on Bluetooth, Spotify automatically starts playing.  This has only started happening to me in the last month or so.

When I switch my phone on in the morning, Bluetooth starts & then seconds later Spotify starts playing from my last playlist.

If I disable Bluetooth & 'force stop' Spotify then as soon as I re-enable Bluetooth Spotify starts playing again.

If I 'force stop' Spotify but leave Bluetooth enabled then at some point Spotify will start playing again (not sure what causes it to start playing in this scenario, it seems to happen randomly).

I don't think that Bluetooth is at fault as it's only Spotify that is behaving like this with Bluetooth.   To be honest, I don't really care what's causing it - I just want it to stop happening.  I want to know that I can switch my phone on & I can use it without worrying that Spotify is going to suddenly start playing songs when I don't want it to.

Does anyone know how to stop Spotify starting up automatically every time I enable Bluetooth?

Thanks.

25 Replies

I have this same issue. Running a pixel 6, premium family plan, and I and my family have many bluetooth devices I use with the phone.  Clean install again tonight, all Android permissions denied to this app, in app background activity turned off, Autoplay off, connect to navigation off. 

The startup issue is the one that is so frustrating. For example, with my car stereo, Spotify starts as soon as I start the car, switching from the radio to bluetooth as if I am receiving a phone call. If I force it down on the phone, and start another music app--say, Youtube or Pixel player, a few seconds later Spotify will restart and the other music players will pause.  

It behaves similarly on my AirPods and other devices.

While this behavior may benefit spotify--because you're almost forced to listen to it if it's installed on your device--that kind of usurping control over our widgets is infuriating.  The effect is the same if it's an intentional api choice, or simply developer negligence--it's absolutely irritating, and an abuse of the customer.

So to solve this, I have read this thread, and dozens of other reddit and others, looking for a simple solution.  I do want to play music off Spotify, and I don't want to spend hours learning to reprogram my phone. 

Why can't the developers simply give us the option to connect to bluetooth devices automatically, or choose to not? Don't they do this for a living? What a clown show.  I pay a bundle for this app, and if my family had signed up for the subscription, I'd dump it in a heartbeat. 

Definitely happens with Tidal on my pixel phone. 

I'm here cause I got frustrated enough to search for a solution during breakfast. I was trying to listen to a podcast in another podcast aggregator via Bluetooth and at the same time search for an artist from last night to share with a friend. But as soon as I switch to Spoti(not)shy it starts playing where it last stopped, cutting the other app off. Is there really no setting to stop spittyfy doing this?!

desactivé los permisos para que funcione en segundo plano tanto en la bateria como en la app de Spotify y sigue igual, es un fastidio!

This must be a bug that suddenly slips in. Since a week or 2 it also started to happen on my galaxy s22. 

Ok, i made a stupid work around. Create new playlist, call it empty, add one track and play the track. Then stop playing and remove that track from the empty play list.

It is anoying, but at least it stops playing.

Suggested posts