Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to store offline music on the external SD card on andriod

Solved!

How to store offline music on the external SD card on andriod

first off thank you for the help if you responded very much appreciated. 

First off, I have a samsung Galaxy S4 and no its not rooted and I really don't want to root it either but I want to move the app spotify to my SD card but it wont let me and its driving me nuts I've been going everywhere for answers but all dead ends. I want to move it and all of the music onto my SD card so I can save room on my internal storage 

please help and thanks 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

If you feel like Spotify is taking up too much storage, you can head over to this Spotify Answer for more info on how you can improve the situation 🙂

Hope you find the info helpful.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

82 Replies

The app itself can't be moved to an external SD card but the spotify cache which contains the music can. Make sure that you have plenty more free space on the external SD than internally and reinstall spotify. It should then create the cache on the external card.

If that doesn't work for you, please post details of your android and spotify vesions.

As mentioned the app cannot be moved, but the cache should be able to. Try the trick I've posted in a similar thread here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Downloading-music-to-external-SD-card-another-one/m-p/6...

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Hi, can someone help me please?

I'm also experiencing this problem. Spotify will not allow me to move my offline files to an SD card on my Moto G (5GB internal storage, 30GB SD card almost empty). I first tried deleting the cache and then setting the download quality to excellent before downloading my files, this didn't work so I tried it again. Now I've just tried uninstalling the Spotify app and going through the same process, but still to no avail. Any more ideas???

Yours in anticipation!

@schonberg wrote:

Hi, can someone help me please?

I'm also experiencing this problem. Spotify will not allow me to move my offline files to an SD card on my Moto G (5GB internal storage, 30GB SD card almost empty). I first tried deleting the cache and then setting the download quality to excellent before downloading my files, this didn't work so I tried it again. Now I've just tried uninstalling the Spotify app and going through the same process, but still to no avail. Any more ideas???

Yours in anticipation!

Please read the guide linked below for details on getting a completely clean install of the Spotify app. This should be the first step and can help resolve issues such as:

- Black screen on startup
- Offline data not storing on SD card
- Random crashes or FC's
- Track degradation or skipping
- Playlists and tracks no longer available

[GUIDE] First step of troubleshooting - Clean Install

Android Troubleshooting:

Thanks Daniel, but unfortunately all of this still didn't work. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Does anyone else have issues with Moto G running Android 4.4.4?

@schonberg wrote:

Thanks Daniel, but unfortunately all of this still didn't work. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Does anyone else have issues with Moto G running Android 4.4.4?

You say your sd is almost full? Can you create some space in it... More than the free space on your internal memory and then try the clean install as part the guide in my signature. 

Android Troubleshooting:

No Daniel, the SD card is almost empty, in fact it is now empty because one of the solutions offered was to delete its contents and re-format!

Hi

Im have the exact same problem.  Did you find a successfull  fix?

No, no fix yet but I have been round quite a few loops with the Spotify guys. The latest (and final) option involves me getting hold of another micro SD card and trying that, even though I know that the one I'm using is error free, apparently Spotify might not 'like' the one I'm trying to use. I need to buy another one so won't be happening this side of Christmas. Let me know if you ever find a solution.

If others are able to do it, maybe its handset specific.

I have moto 4G.

has anyone else been able to resolve the problem with a handset other than moto G or moto 4g

Found a fix which worked for me on Moto 4G

I was following the instructions to completely remove spotify from the phone as described on this page

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/GUIDE-How-to-fix-common-issues-for-Spotify-on-Android/...

Deleted the app

Then

When 1 was browsing to the files listed to delete, i could not find them.  So I searched for spotify using a file explorer.  Turns out the file paths on my phone are slightly diffeent 

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music

/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music

/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music/files/spotifycache

I deleted these

Then did a force reboot of the phone

Then reinstalled spotify app (i had troiuble reinstalling for some reason, but it worked after a I switched form Wifi to 4g.  Assuming this was connectivity and not related to this problem)

Then changed download settings to Extreme Quality

1.44GB free on device

20.88GB free on SD card

Downloaded a playlist, 

1.44GB free on device

20.38GB free on SD card

Hope that helps, 

Certainly fixed the problem for myself

@iabeard2 wrote:

Found a fix which worked for me on Moto 4G

I was following the instructions to completely remove spotify from the phone as described on this page

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/GUIDE-How-to-fix-common-issues-for-Spotify-on-Android/...

Deleted the app

Then

When 1 was browsing to the files listed to delete, i could not find them.  So I searched for spotify using a file explorer.  Turns out the file paths on my phone are slightly diffeent 

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music

/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music

/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music/files/spotifycache

I deleted these

Then did a force reboot of the phone

Then reinstalled spotify app (i had troiuble reinstalling for some reason, but it worked after a I switched form Wifi to 4g.  Assuming this was connectivity and not related to this problem)

Then changed download settings to Extreme Quality

1.44GB free on device

20.88GB free on SD card

Downloaded a playlist, 

1.44GB free on device

20.38GB free on SD card

Hope that helps, 

Certainly fixed the problem for myself

Thanks you very much! I have added that location to the list in my guide of places to check for this folder.

Android Troubleshooting:

This is the easiest and best solotion I found. (Samsung galaxy 4s)

you dont have to remove the app just follow the 3 steps 

1. delete downloaded songs

2. go to device storage/android/data -> move com.spotify.music to Sd memory card /android/data (It might already be there i'd just overwrite it, donno if it matter or not)

3. download songs

works like a charm

Sorry Chanre

your solution does not work on the Moto G, or indeed other phones, judging by comments on this thread and others.

That was the first thing i tried.

Anybody who needs a solution for Moto G, please see my post earlier in this thread.  Ive got it working now.

Oh. To bad for you guys 😕

Hi guys. I had a similar problem. Ive just bought my new Xperia z3. I had iPhone previously. On my iPhone i.had no problems with storage as I had 64gb. When I wanted to store all of my 18 gb of Spotify music on my Xperia I had a problem with the fact that no music from Spotify can be stored on sd card. So I found a solution. As you know android works strongly with Google. As Google realised an app called Google play which is a rival for Spotify and other music apps they made sure that only theirs music can be stored on sd. So the solution is resign from Spotify and buy Google play subscription which will allow you to store music from Google play ( which worked identically to Spotify) on your sd card.

I hate to say it, but I agree with ted1412. In my opinion, it shows great disrespect for their users on the part of Spotify to leave this problem unsolved.

I've tried every one of the recommended fixes that I could find in these forums and still can't get my Xperia Z3 with 128gb SD card to store my offline/local files on the SD card.

I have loved Spotify and used it for years, but this should be a core feature of Spotify for Android. With regret, I'm thinking of Google Play Music now or maybe Deezer or something else.

Such a shame and a waste of my time and yours.

Charne - thx for the answer! This did it for me when all the other solutions didn't! 😄 😄 😄

That was weird. On my Z3 Compact it worked with reinstalling after the memory card was inserted. Now it shows on the PC and FileComander that there is nothing on the internal memory but that everything is on the SD card. What I do not understand is why it anyhow shows that inside the "storage" in the settings that it is still on internal memory.

Any ideas what it is doing that?

Suggested posts