Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to stop my phone from controlling volume on my computer

Solved!

How to stop my phone from controlling volume on my computer

Hello, I have the following problem: whenever i am playing music on my computer, the volume control button on my phone is directly linked with my computer spotify volume so whenever i click less volume it just changes that of my pc spotify instead of the volume of my actual phone. How can i stop that?

Thanks in advance

Plan

/Premium

Country

Switzerland

Device

Samsung S20, Hp omen 15

Operating System

Windows 10, Android 11

My Question or Issue

117 Replies

There is currently an issue, where, if you have spotify playing on another device, then attempt to adjust your phone's volume, it changes the device's volume instead. The only way to stop it, at the moment, is to go into the phone settings and force stop it. I just recommend a setting that allows you to turn off that understandably useful feature.

I have the volume buttons disable on the lock screen and I have the volume control disabled in the Spotify app, but when I'm connected to another device, it still changes the volume. Please, for the love of god, add a feature in the app that allows you to disable this entirely. Especially when I'm connected to Sonos through my phone, it will turn the volume to max randomly and has almost blown out my speakers.

I wish this wasn’t a feature at all. I absolutely never want volume control between devices. Let me turn it off at least 

HOW IS THIS STILL A THING 2 YEARS LATER?!?!?!

I've been wanting an alternative to Youtube Music and decided to check out Spotify. However, this "feature" makes the app unusable. I was genuinely considering buying premium since everything else about the service is amazing but I cannot justify it if this company lets big issues go ignored for 2 years. Build trust with your customers please...

To reiterate, the issue occurs when a song is actively playing on another device (my pc) and I attempt to adjust the volume of my phone with the app completely closed out. The issue disappears only while the song is paused on my pc. The only fix for this issue appears to be to force stop the app or sign out. For me, force stopping will sometimes not remove Spotiy's casting volume control and instead open a second one upon re-launching the app on Android. The only way to get rid of these is to uninstall Spotify or restart my phone.

this problem still exist after three years😅

keep running into this too... please fix spotify

This happens when I have Spotify open on the my computer but not on my phone. My phone gives me the option to control my computer's audio but not my phone's audio. Please help

When both the computer(Windows/Ubuntu) app and the iPhone app are active, and the volume of the computer app is at maximum (not the volume of the OS, to clarify), the volume of iPhone is forced to be at maximum too. And I need to be very careful not to play any video/audio using my iPhone speaker so that I wouldn't startle all the people in my office with an explosion.

To be honest, this is one of the most stupid designs I've ever seen.

My Computer was turned to maximum volume in the company. Why does Spotify have permission to control multiple devices at the same time? Stop those features or I will cancel the premium plan. Thanks.

This is not a solution. On android closing the app keeps it running in the background. You have to open app settings and force stop it. Which is a hassle to do. The app should stop running when closed and shouldn't need a force stop.

Can't be the only solution you have because I had to OPEN the app on my phone... in order to close it? 

I have found a solution for android.

Go to settings > navigate to Sounds and vibration > scroll a bit down to more > then under default device, choose "this device".

This has helped me, though if I use Spotify on my phone white it is playing on my PC, I can still control the volume. 

Furthermore if I exit Spotify on my phone the bar for Spotify will still appear but it won't take priority, just exit Spotify and the "Spotify volume bar" should go away as well. Hope this helped.

I have tried deleting Spotify from my desktop and force stopping it on my phone, but whenever I try to change my phone media volume it shows 3 DIFFERENT VOLUME METERS that say cast beside it, and I cant find any settings for this. please help me get rid of this

I have this issue too. It appears that it will never be resolved. The Spotify connect/remote feature will never be configurable by the Premium user. I came back to try Spotify Premium after using a different service for some years and so I cancelled my Spotify Premium subscription around 4 days in, due to it not letting me stay in control of my playback volume and as a consequence ear health (suddenly blasting my ears with unexpectedly loud content cannot be healthy. I certainly can't keep using Spotify given these risks).

Please just make this entire feature optional, I hate it so much.

The connect this is so annoying and useless. Im listening to Spotify on my desktop and then playing a game or something on my phone. When Im turning the volume down in the game, it changes Spotify volume. Why would you do that when you're sitting by the PC?

I have tried to turned the app off, but it starts by itself after a short while even though its disabled.

Plan
/Premium

Country
Norway

Device
Oneplus Nord 2T 5G, self built gaming PC

Operating System
Android 14, Windows 10 (and no, Im not changing to W11)

I'm listening to music on my PC and whenever I just try to change the volume of my actual phone, it changes the volume of Spotify on PC, even when I'm not in the app.

Is there any way to turn this off?

Suggested posts