Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Keep Spotify playing when closing all apps in task switcher?

Keep Spotify playing when closing all apps in task switcher?

Hi,

All the previous music players I used before switching to Spotify (eg. Google Music, Poweramp) had this 'feature' where I went to the task switcher and closed all the recent apps, they kept playing music with the icon in the notification area and everything. I liked it since most of the time I wanted to exit all my recent apps and just keep listening to music.

I noticed that Spotify stops playing automatically when I hit the exit all apps button and removes the icon from the notification area, too, ie completely shuts down along with all the apps. 

Is there a way to prevent this from happening and set Spotify to never close unless I stop the music and swipe the player controller in the notification area away?

Many thanks in advance!

Erik (Samsung S7, Marshmallow)

63 Replies

This works! 

Go to battery settings and add Spotify as an unmonitored app and it'll play when you kill all apps, I just did it on my s8+ running Oreo 

Didn't work with S7 Edge plus running Android 7.0

If that's the case, how come it is one of the only music apps that doesn't
stay alive?
Even Bandcamp runs in background when you close all apps.
I even forced spotify to stay alive after closing all apps and still no
avail.

THIS IS NOT SOLVED! THE FIX DOESN'T WORK! PLEASE SPOTIFY, SORT IT OUT!

I have a solution, and it may or may not work on phones other than the Note 8 or the S8 from Samsung, but I'd give it a look anyways. I have a note 8 with android 7.1.1 for reference.

1.When you open your active apps (the button on the right or left from the home button) you have to go into the  active apps options ( in my case it's the three dots on the far right at the top of the screen) and activate the "lock apps" button.

This allows your Spotify or any other app you select from the currently active apps to stay open after pressing the "close all apps" button. To close Spotify with the lock, you have to manually swipe it closed, unless of course, you decide to deactivate the lock.

The cool thing is you don't need to reactivate the lock every time you swipe Spotify closed, as it will keep the locked setting. I hope this helps! 

No love on S7 Edge with 7.0. Just says "contact us"

That worked perfectly, thanks a million

that worked ... in my case I clicked to the left of the home button to display current apps. There was a lock icon on the top right corner of the Spotify app. Clicking to "lock" fixed the problem. Thanks! 

Doesn't work on Samsung S7

Any word yet, I switched from google play and was curious about the solution  

I have Android 8 too (Mi a1) hoewerh this is not working for me.

Please do something about this Spotify, it's really annoying!

So its more than a year since it "has been passed on to the relevant team". Are there any updates? 

It's still not possible to have it play in the background after closing... at least for me on my phone. 😕

I did what the solution said and its still not working.

Im using a Galaxy note 8 on android oreo (8.0)

someone please help.

Never mind. It stopped working.

Freeware music player have this setting as default.

Still no solution for Samsung galaxy S7

Spotify fix it please!

Does that apply for Galaxy Note 8

Does NOT work. Currently it is not supported by Spotify and there are NO workarounds! Hopefully we will get this updated soon...

Suggested posts