Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Keep Spotify playing when closing all apps in task switcher?

Keep Spotify playing when closing all apps in task switcher?

Hi,

All the previous music players I used before switching to Spotify (eg. Google Music, Poweramp) had this 'feature' where I went to the task switcher and closed all the recent apps, they kept playing music with the icon in the notification area and everything. I liked it since most of the time I wanted to exit all my recent apps and just keep listening to music.

I noticed that Spotify stops playing automatically when I hit the exit all apps button and removes the icon from the notification area, too, ie completely shuts down along with all the apps. 

Is there a way to prevent this from happening and set Spotify to never close unless I stop the music and swipe the player controller in the notification area away?

Many thanks in advance!

Erik (Samsung S7, Marshmallow)

63 Replies

On the galaxy s8+ you can go into the task switcher, tap the dots in the top right corner, Lock apps, and you can lock it so it doesn't close when you tap close all

When I close all of the apps Spotify keeps playing usually it doesn't but I just closed all my apps and it actually kept playing music. Don't know what's up. First time it did this. It's in the notification and everything but it's closed. When I opened it and closed it again it stopped like normal but it did keep playing once. Why? Proof below

Screenshot_20180529-023446.png
Screenshot_20180529-023451.png
Screenshot_20180529-023456.png

Hmm.. I have reason to believe your widget might be in part to why this is happening. It's not a certainty but definitely a hypothesis. 

You're the real MVP. 

I have experienced this too few times however it was really rare (once
every few months).

It *sometimes* randomly keeps playing when the app is closed. With sometimes, i really mean just sometimes, after you open it and then close it again, it just stops like other times.

I haven't figured out how for my new s7 yet but I know on other androids you can "pin" apps so they stay open when you hit close all, on my LG style and my mom's LG arigato there was a pin icon in the upper left corner to keep them from closing, and I know I used to be able to do something similar with my older Samsung avant

Spotify will never fix this. Is sad because all other listening apps that I have do this. Audible, podcast addict, Google music etc. I can close the app an the music keeps playing. Spotify doesn't care to add this feature. 

Because why would they - till we won't stop paying why would they care. I'm
thinking about switching to Google music because this support is terrible.
You should too.

I had Google and they treated me the same.  Honestly I think your right though, until everyone stops paying it wont matter. 

Ou, I have also heard good stuff about deezer.

Deezer**bleep**! although they do have really good discovery software

Thanks so much akfernando!! This was really bugging me and locking the Spotify app fixed it perfectly 🙂

This have been posted since more than a year ago and there is still no fix? Please do something about it.

Please add this feature!

Just add it already !

It's really annoying.

I switched from Google Play Music and I already regret it.

There us an idea that has been posted almost 1 year ago, if it gathers more than 50 likes before the end or the year it will become active !

Link here : https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Android-Clear-recent-apps-without-quitting-Spotify/idi-p...

When I had a Huawei mate 10 lite, this wouldn't happen but when I switched to the Samsung s9 it started happening.

Locking the app worked perfectly thank you so much I needed this feature 

Hi, you can do that by locking Spotify on the tast manager like this  https://imgur.com/lh8uxmf . Just press the 3 vertical points on the top right of the screenshot and tap lock apps then lock spotify. A little lock will appear on the top right of your spotify like on my screenshot. If this works i would appreciate some similar help to my question here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-disappearing-from-the-notification-screen-ANDROID/m...

Have a good day 😉

Suggested posts