Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Latest Android update changes menu to iOS style

Latest Android update changes menu to iOS style

Why have they done this? Material design uses the three-line 'drawer' menu that slides in from the left. This style is consistent throughout the majority of Android apps now. Why have Spotify suddenly changed it to a bottom menu like iOS? Annoying.
47 Replies

That is so sad. They could've at least implemented an option to switch back and forth between both GUIs. 

I agree with the majority of this selection. Seriously it just wastes spaces and the lack of moving between panels is shot too. I immediately got angry you can't shift between items. Seriously just leave it the way it was and add swipping back in certain menus. It looks horrible if you had on-screen buttons and will cause miss hits now because of its location next to the mane menu option either. Simply give the android users an option at the worst if you can't go backwards. 

Agreed. It's awful. Terrible UX. It looks like design from 5 years ago. Please change it back Spotify.

Agreed. It creates too much clutter at the bottom with the Now Playing pane minimized and it's too easy to hit a button instead of bringing up the pane. Also it's ugly as sin, why does Spotify insist on ignoring material design?

This change is so dumb, why would you move away from standardised Android design guidelines???

... and use a dated iOS guide line instead?!

Spotify, if you support iOS and Android you should also support the two different guide lines! Not one of them.

I would like to encourage you all to send an email with your complaint to premium (at) spotify.com so those guys take note of people not being happy.

Nice thought but I doubt it will change anything. Were you around when they introduced the black theme in the desktop client?

I feel like I'm the only one who likes this new UI. I don't know why, but it just seems better. It's also a lot smoother for low-end phones, like my friend's phone. His phone (Samsung Galaxy A3 2016) stutters when opening the slide menu from the left.

On my Galaxy S6 it stutters and freezes and takes at least as long to load anything as the side-menu version. 

@Najis wrote:

I feel like I'm the only one who likes this new UI. I don't know why, but it just seems better. It's also a lot smoother for low-end phones, like my friend's phone. His phone (Samsung Galaxy A3 2016) stutters when opening the slide menu from the left.

I'm sure others like it too @Najis but you know how it is, we mostly only speak out when we dislike something - human nature 🙂

the changes are friggin' ANNOYING

Thanks. I had to come on this forum to find the settings. No layout sucks. Spider thin line drawing icons look like poo on a small screen. Everything hidden.

How hard can it be to implement an option which allows you to switch between the old, awesome design and the new, ugly, usuability-lacking one? At least for Android users!

Can someone publish screenshots looks new look, new menu? I got it and then become very interested as this is the new. well thank you
Screenshot_20161126-081651.png
Screenshot_20161126-081729.png
Screenshot_20161126-081717.png

I couldn't agree more! What is the point having a big high resolution screen if it is anyway filled to more than 1/3 with unecessary buttons? As it is now, when scrolling through a playlist, it shows ony 7 songs at a time. It's like looking through a letterbox (don't get any ideas now!).

Go back to material design now!!!

2016-11-26 13.54.42.png

material design also 7 tracks
Screenshot_20161126-154525.png

But you have some space occupied by the non-physical buttons...

Bottom navigation is on the material design guidelines for some time now

https://material.google.com/components/bottom-navigation.html

Just because it's part of material design, doesn't mean it's good. Hence why you rarely see app developers using it on Android.

Suggested posts