Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Latest Android update changes menu to iOS style

Latest Android update changes menu to iOS style

Why have they done this? Material design uses the three-line 'drawer' menu that slides in from the left. This style is consistent throughout the majority of Android apps now. Why have Spotify suddenly changed it to a bottom menu like iOS? Annoying.
47 Replies

I think Spotify have completely ignored the Material Design guidelines right from the onset with the horrid dark theme.

Hey Joe,

I don't so much mind the dark theme as it's easier on my eyes! (I set Twitter to dark too!) But yeah, the option would be nice. This menu change is like going backwards though. I don't like navigation in iOS it's all over the place.

It just appeared on my S7 edge today so I'm still getting acclimatised - my initial reaction was "where has my hamburger gone". If they're rolling this out to everyone then wait for the howls of rage from users with smaller screens and soft buttons at the bottom!

They eben added a Little arrow in the top right to Go Back, **bleep**?! Every Android Phone already has that on the bottom

Also the Bar at the Top where it says "Start", "Browser" or "Radio". Now looks very ugly

The "new" Design Just Looks stupid on Android

And why was there nö Update on the Playstore?
The Design Just changed in the middle of the Day.

On the store they still habe the Screenshots from the normal Android Design

I'm new to this community, so was just wondering, do the developers take note of discussions going on in here? I seriously can't believe they've suddenly slapped an iOS design on it.

I have a Nexus 6 so a pretty Big Screen, but the softbuttons + Navbar +currently playing+ that stupid Bar at the Top are now taking up ⅓ of the Screen

@wizardbynight wrote:
I'm new to this community, so was just wondering, do the developers take note of discussions going on in here? I seriously can't believe they've suddenly slapped an iOS design on it.

From the odd comments I've seen, they tested this UI on a selection of users during the past few weeks and I guess that there weren't enough negative comments to dissuade them from rolling it out to all of us.

Who would have thought a change that would probably only bother those with a keen eye for design (or basic UX) only bothered those with a keen eye for design.

Seriously, screw this iOS noise and screw Spotify, I'm fed up of being constantly dicked around as a desktop and android user while they continue to focus on iOS (Y'know, despite Android having an 85-90% market share of mobile devices).

I'm not resubbing once it lapses. I'm done. So long Spotify, it was a good 8 years I guess.

Actually, bottom bars are Material Design-compliant https://material.google.com/components/bottom-navigation.html

I know. Everyone seems to be so keen to point that out - yet, has nobody noticed how basically zero (non-iOS-xplat) applications actually use it? I've not even seen any google apps using it - probably because it looks awful and wastes a tonne of vertical screen space for things that can be hidden away neatly. Not to mention this is also reduced functionality, now we only have the primary 5 views accessible from anywhere in the app, yet IIRC you could reach about 7-8 things from the old burger menu.

I suppose it comes down to how much you use the navigation. If you're bouncing around Spotify, jumping between playlists, albums, and browsing, etc, I'm sure this provides much easier and more convenient access to the menu. 

On Android Material Design is the way to go. We like modern, well designed user interfaces. What we don't like is the dated iOS look, without any real design to back up the functionality.

Now Spotify, take a look at this site so that your developers understand what a modern UI looks like.

http://materialdesignblog.com/

Material Design fits perfectly into the Scandinavian design tradition, that we are so proud of. Simple, functional and decluttered. It's none iOS f ck up bad UI design.

Love Spotify, hate bad UI à la iOS.

Best regards,

/Pontus, Sweden

I feel like I've made some friends for life here! None of my Twitter followers seem bothered, and maybe I am being a bit finicky, but iOS is still the same as it was in 2007! (just with a new theme slapped on top!)

Sort it out, Spotify!

The weirdest thing about this update is that it kind of made me realize that Home and Browse could essentially just be one tab. Must be because I'm constantly confronted with the option now.

Yeah. Settings being in your library feels somewhat arbitrary. 

Does anyone have a link to an old APK with which I can reinstall the old design? hate the new one!

I like the update. I hated that search was buried in the hamburger menu.

In my opinion, navigation is far superior with this update.

Unfortunately this is a server-side change. I don't think there's anything you can do.

Suggested posts