Highlighted

Local Files Greyed out on Mobile

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9

On my phone, certain local files become greyed out after some time of them being on there. I can still play these files they just won't play when I play all songs on a playlist. They still play on my computer just fine in a playlist just not on my phone. one solution I've found is to clear my data on my mobile Spotify app and then redownload the songs however it is only a temporary fix and I hope to find a more permanent one.

11 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Local Files Greyed out on Mobile

Hey there @Zecrim

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing. Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

It's also a good idea to change the source of the local files. Simply create a new folder in a different directory on your device and move your local files to this folder. Then just delete the old folder used for the local files. Now you can try importing the files again. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

IvanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
“Music is the strongest form of magic.” Marilyn Manson
Highlighted

Regular

The local files will still show up in the playlists on all your devices,  but will only play on the device they are stored on .  The reason they are greyed out is because they are not stored on that device . 
If the files are localised on your computer then they will need to be downloaded to your phone and any other device so they are not grey anymore.
Connect both devices to the same network , make sure they are both detected in "Spotify Connect" ,  now download the playlist on your phone , the local tracks from your computer will be synced  .  
If you ever put local files in a playlist and want to listen to them on another device then you must always do this.

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Hello, same problem here, as described above:

Appears on playlists and Local Files on my computer

Plays on computer

After sync appears on same playlist but greyed out and won't play

Have tried:

Reinstalling Spotify on my phone

Confirming phone is connected to my account

Moving and renaming local files folder

Thank you,

Laura

Highlighted

Same here. Spotify app on Galaxy S9 will not download local files from my PC when connected to the same WiFi.

Have tried:

- uninstall Spotify app, reinstall and redownload songs

- move Local Files folder on PC

- uninstall Spotify app AND Spotify on PC, reinstall and redownload songs

- manually move local files to phone storage (no local files option exists in the mobile app so even though this would otherwise work, you won't let it)

Highlighted

Visitor

Same problem here on Android SmartPhone. Tried everything to manage that what was suggested here, but still no joy. No local files from my compute inserted into playlists will be downloaded by the mobile app. Local file keep greyed out. Seems to be a nasty bug. When will it be fixed?

Highlighted

Visitor

Use this solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/5hinti/finally_figured_out_how_to_syncdownload_local/

Worked for me in the first try. His/her solution has been killing it for the last 3 years while Spotify solutions still suck! Hope it works out.

Highlighted

Visitor

I had this issue pop up randomly and I fixed it by checking my settings in the app on my iPhone.  There's one in "local files" that says "enable sync from desktop".  For some reason this got disabled, but re-enabling it fixed the issue instantly. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

I found a solution post spotify updates from the end of last year. Go on the spotify app on your phone and select "home" then go to settings then click "local files" in settings and there is an option to enable sync from desktop. Then create a playlist with the local songs you want and download it.

Highlighted

Visitor
No such thing as "local files" in setting on Spotify mobile.
SUGGESTED POSTS