Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Marshmallow 6.0 - streaming cache stored on SD?

Solved!

Marshmallow 6.0 - streaming cache stored on SD?

I realise there's a problem with getting downloaded tracks to store to the SD card, and I've read the other (long) thread on here about how to get it to work (on Motorola phones, at least).

But to those who have got it working - are you finding that the streaming cache is also stored on the SD card? I'm talking about the data that Spotify caches when you stream music, even if you don't download anything. On Lollipop, Spotify took up a couple of Gb space on my SD card just from streaming (I never downloaded anything), so I assume this is cached music from streaming.

Using the Marshmallow 'fix' mentioned above, does this cache also get stored on the SD card, or does that remain on internal storage?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

OK, I'll answer my own question. If you've successfully managed to get Marshmallow Spotify to point to your SD card - which I have now successfully achieved on my Moto X Play - then yes, it DOES store the streaming cache on the SD card as well as offline music. (I'm using my SD card as portable storage, not adopted storage).

I followed the instructions on other threads on this forum to get Spotify to use my SD card on my Moto X Play. I checked both the available internal and SD card storage. I then streamed for a couple of hours (Extreme quality), without downloading anything. I checked my storage again. Internal storage was exactly the same, SD storage had decreased by about 500Mb. Upon checking the 'com.spotify.music' folder on the SD card, it had a file structure inside it, also confirming the SD card was being used for the cache.

So whether you're downloading or just streaming, either way you don't have to worry about your valuable internal storage being used up.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

OK, I'll answer my own question. If you've successfully managed to get Marshmallow Spotify to point to your SD card - which I have now successfully achieved on my Moto X Play - then yes, it DOES store the streaming cache on the SD card as well as offline music. (I'm using my SD card as portable storage, not adopted storage).

I followed the instructions on other threads on this forum to get Spotify to use my SD card on my Moto X Play. I checked both the available internal and SD card storage. I then streamed for a couple of hours (Extreme quality), without downloading anything. I checked my storage again. Internal storage was exactly the same, SD storage had decreased by about 500Mb. Upon checking the 'com.spotify.music' folder on the SD card, it had a file structure inside it, also confirming the SD card was being used for the cache.

So whether you're downloading or just streaming, either way you don't have to worry about your valuable internal storage being used up.

Suggested posts