Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mobile App cuts out after 20 minutes (only stream, offline still works)

Solved!

Mobile App cuts out after 20 minutes (only stream, offline still works)

I bought a premium subscription a short while ago to replace Pandora and my mp3 SD card in phone (galazyS3).  Everything works great, except after i stream music onto my phone while driving.  After 15-20 minutes, no matter what, every time, it cuts out and will not play a song.  As if its lagging hardcore and trying to catch up (play 2 secs of music, stop for 5-20 sec., play 3 more secs.), and it doesnt stop unless I connect to WiFi.  I have been using my Pandora as well and some other services to see if its my phone or service provider, and everything else works perfect, only problem is spotify app.  I really like this app and would love to continue paying for a subscription, but not if i cant stream in my car for extended periods of time.  Is there anything i can do or try?  Has anyone had a similar problem?  Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

If your offline playlists play fine, then the "offline" wouldn't make any difference. Streaming tho, what settings / quality do you have selected?
Sure there are widgets that you could place to the home screen to see when the signal quality goes down.

Do you have a limited speed with the mobile subscription?

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hows your mobile network connection at this time when you drive? Is it all the time full bars, or does the signal go from great to GPRS or such?

You could try to Sync the wanted playlists to offline usage (download) and then push the Spotify to be offline, see how it works then.

I'v had that with my phone when I'm driving and the phone switches to another cell station / signal goes from HSPA+ to 3G and then EDGE/GPRS.

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

My mobile network connection seems fine when i drive.  Like i said, i can get other streaming services to work fine.  Although i'm not too familiar with the phone and what is looks like (bars, notification bar) when switching towers, or 3g to edge/gprs etc.   Is there a way to monitor that on my my phone?  Also, i've sync'd a playlist and they will play fine while this is happening, but i've never pushed the Spotify to be offline button.  Would that make any difference?  I'll give it a try to see what happens

Marked as solution

If your offline playlists play fine, then the "offline" wouldn't make any difference. Streaming tho, what settings / quality do you have selected?
Sure there are widgets that you could place to the home screen to see when the signal quality goes down.

Do you have a limited speed with the mobile subscription?

@DjDeso wrote:

I bought a premium subscription a short while ago to replace Pandora and my mp3 SD card in phone (galazyS3).  Everything works great, except after i stream music onto my phone while driving.  After 15-20 minutes, no matter what, every time, it cuts out and will not play a song.  As if its lagging hardcore and trying to catch up (play 2 secs of music, stop for 5-20 sec., play 3 more secs.), and it doesnt stop unless I connect to WiFi.  I have been using my Pandora as well and some other services to see if its my phone or service provider, and everything else works perfect, only problem is spotify app.  I really like this app and would love to continue paying for a subscription, but not if i cant stream in my car for extended periods of time.  Is there anything i can do or try?  Has anyone had a similar problem?  Thanks

i have the same problem.  it has something to do with switching mobile cells, and probably some sort of resource leak -- just one of the many bugs that make spotify unusable for some, while many others will never notice.  there are two other aspects to this bug that i've noticed:

the indicators on my phone for mobile data transmission (the up and down arrows) will be pegged (constantly on) until i reboot the phone or connect to wifi and disconnect again (change network state).

sometimes when i lose 3G signal, the phone will somehow stay "locked" in 1X mode -- e.g., I will enter an area without 3G (apparently) and then I won't have 3G back until I reboot my phone or connect to wifi and disconnect again.

i've only ever seen my phone do these things when i'm running spotify.  so basically, these bugs render streaming while in motion useless for me.  the only option i have for listening in the car is to sync playlists.

Interesting. There were definitely issues with travelling and constantly losing and regaining data coverage with the original preview release back in April - the app would sometimes crash out completely. I was never able to fully test it once the app was formally released to the play store as by then I had changed jibs and no longer commute.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Brilliant!  I had the settings for my streaming quality set at extreme.  I have changed this to normal, and for the past day and a half i havent had any problems.  I hope my idiocy was the only problem here 🙂  Thanks everyone for the help, i really appreciate it.

Suggested posts