Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Native Save to external SD-Card NOW!

Native Save to external SD-Card NOW!

Hello there... the issue is not new. But today I had to delete my downloaded playlists because my internal SD-Card was full...
I will quit my subscription too because THE main feature why I switched to spotify is not longer available...

Very sad but since the issue is now unfixed since November I dont want to wait much longer

SPOTIFY WE WANT THIS FEATURE BACK NOW!

10 Replies

Is there any update to this issue?  It's pretty ridiculous to limit offline to internal memory.

@FreeAdam wrote:

Is there any update to this issue?  It's pretty ridiculous to limit offline to internal memory.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

According to the main topic over on the Ideas Exchange about this, it will be returning in a future update. Other than that, there has been no other information published. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

hi

i have the Galaxy S3 also.

and just got a microSD card today.

and now i have spent about one hour on these forums, only to arrive at the conculsion:

offline music data CANNOT be stored on external SD card.

whaaaaaT????

in fact, that was the main reason for me to even buy an external card...

i have 6GB of spotify data on my phone now, at extreme quality, and that's only about 500 songs or so?

i want to download a ton more, yet i won't be able to do this without being able to store data on SD card....

It would be nice to have options to where to store offline playlist files but i may have a workaround.

You can use ADB to change the install location of spotify (thereby changing its cache location).

the command line is

adb shell pm setInstallLocation #

replace the # with one of the following

0 = Auto

1 = Internal

2 = external

Obviously if you dont have the external card in, Spotify wont work. But if you're like myself and leave large cards in then option 2 is for you. (i recommend class 10 cards if you like them to run faster).

chromeskull:

thanks!

i forgot to mention that my phone isn't rooted, and i have no intention to root it.

does your solution require rooting?

is ADB a free app?

Its a free program on your PC for android development.

It does not require root either.

The guide i used is here.

It will however most likely require a reinstall of Spotify.

You could also try going to "Settings" > apps > "Spotify" then see if it gives you an option to move to SD.

I

I have to restore my phone to the original settings because spotify used all the internal memory and although I delete songs from playlist or even delete spotify I couldn't recover the space used by the playlist. I think I would have to cancel the subscription. It also consumes a lot of data even if I have all the songs dowmloaded.

Once you have all the music downloaded to your phone, put the app into offline mode from the settings menu and it won't use any data.

Also, you can clear the cache at any time, again from the settings, before downloading new music. If you have an external SD card, you can follow the instructions in this post to have spotify use that for storage.

After reinstalling the application it save the data in the internal memory rather the device memory.

I always use it offline but I feel that data consumption is high when it is in online mode even if you don't download anything nor use streaming.

But now it is ok. I least the phone doesn't complain anymore about low memory space.

Suggested posts