Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New release is exactly why Spotify should have released a second beta. RANT

New release is exactly why Spotify should have released a second beta. RANT

I'm not being funny but this release basically is a beta, crucial missing features, massive design flaws, things not working properly.

It just beggars belief to me that Spotify didn't try and work out how we would feel about this before they released it. It is just an unimaginable #fail if you ask me.

Seriously I love Spotify but how on earth could they have thought that:-

1) No Screen orientation

2) No ability to chose where offline cache is stored.

3) Where the playlist folders sit

Would ever be even nearly appropriate for a proper release I do not know. They have a whole community here that has been shouting from the roof tops, who could have done beta testing. And they have blown it again.

Don't get me wrong there is a lot I like about the app, and if it had been released as a second, near pre release beta I would have been delighted and shouting from the rooftops.

But this? Just another, in a long line of, slaps in the face to Android users. Who let's remember are premium subscribers to a man and woman.

C'mon Spotify sort it out fer christs sake!

</rant>

14 Replies

You should be happy when Spotify improve your app. Let's try Windows Phone Spotify app... Not so much good to say at all.

I cannot consider the loss of features I used previously to be an "improvement", nor do I care about the quality of the app on other platforms. The previous version of the Spotify app used to work well, and the new version, whilst having numerous 'improvements' in other areas, no longer meets the needs of many people (myself included). Given that the usage of the app mandates a paid subscription we are all stakeholders in it, and have a right to air our concerns about the seemingly inconsiderate or unnecessary loss of existing, used, functionality.

I just checked again the thread that had new features etc. A developer said that "I know that you want the landscape mode, it's coming, be patient". It looks like even the developers didn't know that the Rotation feature WAS ALREADY implemented to Android client. Now the new app has been (as they said) coded from scratch -> old features have been removed. Great Job!

I'm sorry to say hpguru, You have the wrong device 🙂 I too don't care much about other platforms other than the ones I use. Well I do actually but not at this moment when a working app isn't working anymore.

PC (Windows), Note & Sensation (2.3 & 4.0 Android), iPad (iOS).

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Spotify is always listening you, so please keep feedback coming.

Spotify does not ignore you or any customer. So guys, for Android app there is future updates waiting you, but I do not know when those will be available as update. Spotify hear you here loud and clear.

Second beta would not have been necessary... I am glad that they finally released it (with last.fm integration). Even in its current state, the new app is simply vastly better than the previous one.

How can you all an app better than the older app when CRITICAL elements have been REMOVED in the update. I don't care about last.fm since I don't use it or anything else, but as simple and critical as Screen Rotation - w t h.

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

@neo-x wrote:
How can you all an app better than the older app when CRITICAL elements have been REMOVED in the update. I don't care about last.fm since I don't use it or anything else, but as simple and critical as Screen Rotation - w t h.

Even so, the old App was old and, releatively speaking, complete **bleep** ;).

My guess is as follows:

1) No Screen orientation

Most Android users are on smartphones, not tablets. Most smartphones are used in portrait orientation. So spending time on developing a landscape mode was probably not deemed worthwhile since only a minority of users would want it.

It also means that down the line, Spotify can release what they call "Spotify for Android Tablets" which is 95% the same app as this one but does have landscape mode. This approach would generate lots of additional column inches in the press (who usually simply just re-post Spotify's press releases) and could be spun as another new product.

2) No ability to choose where offline cache is stored

Most Android smartphones have enough internal storage for most Spotify user's needs. Many new smartphones (e.g. the HTC One line) don't even have the option for external microSD cards (just like Apple products). And most Android users aren't too technical and don't know about microSD cards in the first place. So, I suspect these are the among the reasons to leave this feature out.

Also, how this was implemented in the previous version was a bit of a fudge and open to user error (since you had to manually type in the path and could very easily make a typo). So again, another reason to just leave it out. 

3) Where the playlist folders sit

1 & 2 I can live with, but this one really irks me too. Perhaps it's a by-product of playlist folders being implemented after the DOWNLOADED vs. ALL split was implemented. But my suspicion is that when testing, Spotify did not fully appreciate that how this was implemented would not scale so well. If you only have a dozen playlists then download 2 or 3 for testing, then playlist folders look fine where they are. But if you have hundreds and downoad most of the, only then does it become glaringly apparent how bonkers this design is.

Perhaps most users only have a few dozen playlists and only download a few anyway. In which case, how playlist folders were implemented will be fine for most users.

Looks like we all have our share of problems. Currently I don't care about anything else but getting the Screen Rotation back. PS. All tablets have (I guess) the kinetic sensors -> same as phones. When device is swapped sideways = screen rotates. So same thing should work on tablets aswell why start ruining the app. Anyways. Looks like I need to find some other app and cancel my premium. Was nice the while it lasted.

You're probably right about getting column inches for a tablet release. Its incredibly frustrating though as android apps are supposed to work across both platforms without there being separate releases
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I really am grateful they have released a newer app. I just don't see how they can consider this app even nearly finished. The stuff that is missing is sooo important. And we will now get the traditional Spotify stone wall of silence, hints and innuendo and crucially no real information about when they will sort out the problems.

All of this would have been easier to live with if they had just labeled this release a final beta. That they didn't has inevitably caused confusion and frustration. I'm afrid, to trot out a tired old interweb meme, that the release has been an Epic Fail.

Just look at the number of posts in the Android forum, how many more there have been and what the tone of them is.

Some things missing. 

Landscape mode.

Adding a whole album to an existing playlist. 

Local Files will not show up as a menu option. 

No easy way to shuffle all tracks (can be done tho)

Also in a playlist can't sort by album or view by album.

Can't see the track numbers of a track in a album. 

<rant mode=on>

I don't care about missing features but the battery drain is hossible, yes I have replied in the battery thread as well.

A fully charged X10 mini (old phone) is drained to empty within half a day and the battery usage page shows that Spotify has used 21% of the battery while normaly power hungry "Cell Standby" only uses 18% (used to be more like Cell=40% Spotify=10%(max))????

So in short I don' give a s*** about not having landscape orientation, ..... As of now I have to have my phone on charge even when I DON'T use Spotify. I'm very close to end my subscription and uninstall the app if they can't fix the battery drain issue ASAP.

<rant mode=off>

I do understand that the other things are important and if I would have my own issue with the app I would be on top of the list crying for the lost of functionality in the app.

Cheers,

Zappa

The post in the idea forum about spotify launching a regular beta release testing phase has been changed status today to 'under consideration'

Keep up-voting it guys if you haven't already
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Suggested posts