Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No internet connection message, which is a lie.

No internet connection message, which is a lie.

Plan

Premium

Country

Mexico

Device

Huawei P30 Lite MAR-LX3A

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

I'm on the verge of losing it, guys. I guess I'm writing this more as a major bug report than expecting any immediate help.

Around three weeks ago the app on my phone turned incredibly slow, and it also began to show the "not connected to the internet" (in spanish) message on a little black bar at the bottom of the screen. This happened every other time I launched the app. I'd open it and it wouldn't work. I'd close it, swipe off the app, load it again and it would start working fine as usual. Next time I'd open it: nope. Error message in a little black banner at the bottom of the screen. Kill it, launch again... ad nauseam.

Also, when it did work, if it took me more than 5 minutes to select another album or playlist (while driving or doing other things) it'd throw the "lol no internet" message again. Then I'd have to kill the app again, load it again, and pray it would remain working the rest of the session. Not a massive problem. Not a huge deal. Not even close to a dealbreaker. Just a minor inconvenience at worst.

Needless to say, I did have an internet connection. Either WiFi or 4.5G. At some point even straight from an Ethernet cable. No VPNs. No battery saving options enabled. No external storage. No offline mode enabled.

The folks at twitter (@SpotifyCares) have been true champs at support and guidance in trying to figure out how to solve this problem. They've gone the extra mile during these past weeks to make my app work again on the main device I use for it. Earlier today we wiped my old account, created a new one (which is in the process of receiving all my music from the old account) and crossed our fingers because we'd done almost everything else. Endless clean installs. Several soft resets. I've taken off the external SD card I had. I even factory-reset my phone, and this is my main phone we're talking about. That's how loyal I am to this service, haha.

But I just got the same error message and behavior again.

On full bars receiving WiFi. Mobile data enabled. On a new account. Phone plugged to its charger. No rogue settings which could cause the problem. It just beats me to be honest.

Checking the Google PlayStore's feedback section (albeit corresponding to my region) it's evident several of us, the users, are experiencing the very same problem on our Android devices. Pretty much every one-star review claims this is happening to them since the latest update. If it were only me I'd gladly go back to the team at twitter because they've been nothing but helpful and patient, and I know that's quality customer support I can lean into. But right now, feeling a little bit sad because I had to give up on an account I'd had for almost ten years and had been tailored to my absolute liking, I'm just annoyed. I am convinced this is not on our end, but something which went wrong with one of the latest updates, and has now costed me weeks of chasing a problem I could never solve on my end. Also my account, but that's more sentimental value than anything else and I'll get over it.

I'm sorry if this comes off as more inflamatory or rude than I'd like to. Please, please don't recommend me to reinstall. No cache clearing. No setting-chasing. No restarts. The team at @SpotifyCares have guided me through it all. I don't want to run in circles doing the same things over and over again. I've nuked my phone. I've opened a new account. I am quite sure this is not on my end.

What I'm asking of you, if within your possibilities, is to address this issue to the team which can look into it. Help me and the other users on PlayStore restore the usual functioning of this app and service. Spotify has been an amazing product which I've enjoyed tremendously over the last decade. Having it not work the way it should is disheartening. Please, don't overlook these issues.

Nb: The app works fine as usual on my iPad, it only goes south on my main Android device and even on an old Android phone I no longer use. I checked because the SpotifyCares team asked me to. I did tell you they've thrown endless ideas my way.

Thank you for the time and attention ❤️

1 Reply

Hey @wobz,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

Could you share with us which troubleshooting steps you've tried so far? That way we'll able to avoid any repeating steps.

You can also send us a screenshot of what you're seeing. We'll look into this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts