Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Only certain tracks will sync from local files onto phone

Only certain tracks will sync from local files onto phone

At first I thought it was maybe because they were Taylor Swift songs and somehow she was blocking her songs on spotify even if I bought them through iTunes and tried to sync in spotify (which is what I did). But then I tried to sync a song my friend produced and it wouldn't work either. It seems like any songs that aren't in spotify's database won't sync. Which makes it pretty useless. I was able to sync some U2 songs I got from iTunes but I was not able to sync the Taylor Swift songs or any other songs not in spotifys database already.

This really defeats the purpose of the local files syncing, right? Yes, I've followed all the proper instructions for syncing local files with using the same wifi, making the playlists set as available offline, etc. And my phone shows up in devices. It's a Moto X (gen 2).

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm mostly irritated because I went out of my way to buy Taylor Swift's songs with the intention of syncing them with my local files into spotify so I can listen to them without having to switch between spotify and my phone's standard music player app.

4 Replies

Please read the support topic here for assistance setting up local file sync: Listen to local files

Make sure that you are on the same WiFi network (and band... i.e. 2.4Ghz) and Windows & third party firewalls are configured to allow the Spotify connection through.

Another point to note is that sometimes if a track is stored locally & is also available to stream then when you sync to your device it will automatically use the Spotify streaming version but the data from your playlist. If for some reason the metadata such as track length differs this can cause conflict and break the track. In this instance you are best off removing the local file from your playlist on the desktop and adding the track from the Spotify server then re-sync. This should fix this issue.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I am on the same WiFi (it's a network all of NYU), but my laptop can only connect to 2.4 Ghz. When I checked my phone, it said it is connected to 5.0 Ghz WiFi. How would one remediate this? I'm currently investigating how to switch my phone over to 2.4 Ghz but haven't been successful so far.

Update: I got both my phone and my laptop of 2.4 Ghz. However, it still isn't working. I put 4 songs in the playlist: A track my friend made that isn't in Spotify's database at all, a song I dragged from Spotify's database rather than my local files to the playlist, a Taylor Swift song I bought on iTunes, and then another Taylor Swift song I bought where I changed the file name and properties such as artist and album title in order to attempt to "trick" Spotify.

When I go to the list of my playlists, it says the playlist I titled "local" has 4 songs. However, the song by TS with the correct title, artist, etc. is missing. The TS song that is retitled and whatnot is there but grayed out and will only play on my laptop, not phone. Additionally, the song my friend made is also grayed out and will only play on my laptop. When I try to play either of those, it states that "This song is not available."

I'm on the correct WiFi, firewalls have Spotify enabled as an exception, I followed all the regular instructions to sync local files. At this point, I'm completely lost on what to do. Clearly it is blocking Taylor Swift songs from syncing due to the whole controversy between her and Spotify, but I also can't get any other local files that aren't in Spotify to sync, such as the renamed TS song or the song my friend produced.

you say the WiFi is from NYU, and thast the exceptions to the firewall are all setup? How can you be sure as I doubt you have the rights to check the router config? To me this sounds like the service is blocked at the router level.

Do you know others who can sync OK over this WiFi?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Suggested posts