Play "local files" on my mobile device

Solved!

Play "local files" on my mobile device

politzer
Roadie

What's the easiest way to be able to play "local files" that reside on my desktop device on my mobile? After bringing them in to the desktop Spotify client as a playlist I'm able to play them there, and the playlist appears on my mobile client, but the songs are grayed out and say "the track is unavailable".

Thanks

307 Replies

Sunworshipper
Casual Listener

Hi!

I've recently added like 500 songs as local files. Out of these 500 songs there are like 20 songs, from different "records" that just won't sync from my desktop to my iphone. Even though they are clearly visable/playable on the desktop.

I've added three screenshots as examples. What's interesting is that all three songs that won't sync has previously been on spotify, and I've been listening to them, but is not available anymore. It is as if spotify have a cashe that needs to be emptied, because as you can see it remembers the name of the Candi Staton compilation. 

I've tried to reinstall, and empty the cashe on the mobile, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Emil

2018-10-28 13.14.09.png
2018-10-28 13.14.26.png
2018-10-28 13.15.23.png

smoran1195

I have a windows computer and a samsung galaxy s7 and this is what worked for me. 

1. Open spotify on your phone and Laptop

2. Plug in phone to computer

3. Go to Settings: Connections: Mobile Hotspot and Tethering

4. Under Mobile Hotspot and Tethering there is a Mobile Hotspot and a USB Tethering option. For me they were both off. Turn on USB Tethering

5. Go to each playlist and turn on download, or if the download switch is already on, turn it off and then turn it on. 

IDK what to do if you have an IPhone but I'd assume if you find the mobile hotspot in your settings, it would have some sort of USB tethering there. I don't know that for sure though. 

When I did this to each playlist, any songs that were greyed out on my phone started downloading. Once all the songs are downloaded, turn off USB tethering because I think it turns off your WIFI.  

Hopefully that helps everyone as much as it helped me.

Smarre
Regular

This was the exaxt solution to the issue 😄

Maefjus

Wow, I was looking for this for so long. Thank you, it helped and it's really easy. Spotify should have listed this solution in their Help long time ago, because the Wifi Sync just doesn't work and I wasted lot of time on it. 

Aziznb
Casual Listener

I’m having exactly the same problem after the recent updates. My Local Files folder disappeared from my iPhone app. So I created a playlist and added the local files to the playlist from my laptop. It works fine when I’m near my laptop and connected to the same WiFi. However, the songs turns grey as soon as I disconnect my iPhone from my laptop or leave the WiFi network that my laptop is connected to.

Please fix this issue. I have so many songs that I’d like to have on my phone.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the playlist.

Note: I’m using Mac not a PC

AEBDAAB5-3089-4AE2-9B8F-6CCDDFF1F52B.png

Aziznb
Casual Listener

It's working!!
So I did what some users here adviced. If you are a mac user, 

System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall (turn it off)

Once you turn it off, create a playlist on Spotify, add the songs you'd like them to be synced and then on your iphone (make sure you are connected to the same network), go to the new playlist and click on download.

Credit goes to the users who recommended turning off the firewall. 

Cattrump

i had this same problem. It was resolved when I changed my network profile from public to private. (which I thought I was already on since its my home network). Which makes sense since public profile prevents other devices from accessing my laptop.

Solution!

Katerina

Hey there folks,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

If you're having troubles seeing and streaming local files from your mobile device, we'd first recommend making sure of the following:

• Log out and back in your Spotify account on each device.
  • You're logged in to the same account on both your desktop and your mobile or tablet.
  • The Spotify app is not set to Offine on either device.
  • Both your desktop and mobile devices are connected on the same network connection.
  • If you're on an iOS device, make sure you've gone to Settings Katerina_0-1602574398092.png Local Files and switched on Local audio filesYou'll also need to allow Spotify to find devices in the prompt that shows.
  • The file types of your local files are supported by Spotify. You can find more info here.
  • In order to download local files to your mobile device, you'll need to have a Premium subscription. Find out how to check your subscription status.
  • There’s enough free space on the device’s memory (we recommend at least 1GB).
  • You have the latest version of the Spotify app installed (on both devices).
  • Your devices' firmware is up-to-date. 
  • You can only download music and podcasts to a maximum of 5 separate devices for a maximum of 10,000 songs per device.
  • In your router settings, check that UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) is enabled.
  • Windows shows your network as private and not public.
  • Spotify is set as an exception in any firewall or internet security program. 

If none of these do the trick, you can create a mobile hotspot on your mobile and connect your PC to this hotspot via wifi. Syncing the local files should then work.

If you're still having troubles, don't hesitate to let us know by starting a new thread in the related Help Board. We'll be happy to lend a hand.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

SUGGESTED POSTS