Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Playback stopping

Playback stopping

So, up until this weekend my Spotify was working fine. Then Sunday night it suddenly stops playing when the phone locks... will continue to play after phone locks for roughly 30 seconds and then stops but will resume the minute i reactivate the screen. 

I have checked the optimisation screen which hasnt changed, spotify is still authorised as a background app and i made no alterations between sunday morning and evening. Ive restarted the phone and also uninstalled and reinstalled the app which fixed the issue for a day but as of 30 minutes ago has started happening all over again. 

1 Reply

Hey @PjThomps13,

Thanks for reaching out. Welcome to the community!

Android Marshmallow (V6.0+) introduced a feature known as the 'Doze' feature. This feature optimizes apps and tasks running in the background to help with battery life. This can often cause issues when using Spotify (among other apps). A telltale symptom of this is when the Spotify stop streaming when your device's screen locks. 

Note: Android Nougat (V7.0+) further enhances this feature.

You can prevent the Spotify app from being affected by the Doze feature by following the steps below:

1. Open the Settings app on your phone (Pull down the notifications shade, and tap the gear in the upper right corner, or find Settings in the App Drawer.)
  2. Tap Battery.
  3. Tap the menu button and choose Battery optimization.
  4. Tap the dropdown menu at the top of the screen and select All apps.
  5. Scroll down to Spotify - tap it and select Don't Optimize

Now Spotify will not be controlled by the Android system's power-saving enabling it to run in the background.

Let me know how it goes — I'll be here in case you need any further help 🙂

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts