Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle mode playing the same songs all the time

Shuffle mode playing the same songs all the time

I have a playlist with 10,000 songs and use shuffle to listen to them. What I realized the past weeks is that the same songs are played over and over again - and not because I listen to this playlist 24/7 but because the shuffle mode seems to not pick songs just randomly but has some kind of algorythm behind to pick certain songs all the time again and again. This is quiet annoying because the reason I use shuffle in a playlist with 10,000 is not to listen to the same songs all the time but to have variety!

171 Replies

J'ai presque 1 000 chansons dans titre likés et c'est toujours les mêmes qui sont joués en mode aléatoire. Même pire quand j'écoute Spotify sur ma Google home puis que j'utilise également Spotify juste après dans ma voiture toujours en mode aléatoire, les mêmes chansons que j'écoutais sur ma Google home dans le même ordre exactement hyper pénible!!!Je paie quand même !!!! Et cela augmente chaque année !! inadmissible !!!!

I get it if Spotify wants to "let AI shuffle smartly to keep users listening", whatever. But at least give us an option for True Shuffle. I'm sick of listening to songs I just added to my playlist, I want to hear something from 5-6 years ago randomly. That's the reason I actually have a catch-all bucket playlist.

When using the Smart Shuffle option, the same shuffled songs are played. The regular Shuffle option shuffles the songs better, but this does not include the new songs I sometimes I hear, which I like.

I don't understand why it is so hard to implement real shuffle functionality. It feels like the old shuffle issue is back again when using Smart Shuffle. That took a real long time to be fixed.

Its really disappointment for me

The same thing happened with me I fix it instantly to follow mention below steps.

1. Check Shuffle Settings: Some music players have different shuffle settings. Ensure yours is set to fully randomize the playlist.
  2. Clear Cache: Sometimes the music player's cache affects playback. Clearing the cache can reset any stuck shuffle patterns.
  3. Update the App: Make sure your music player is updated to the latest version as updates often fix bugs related to shuffle algorithms.
  4. Create Sub-Playlists: Divide your large playlist into smaller ones. This can help the shuffle algorithm work more efficiently and potentially more randomly.
  5. Use Third-Party Apps: If the issue persists, consider using a different music player. Some apps may offer better shuffle algorithms.

These steps should help improve the variety of songs you hear in shuffle mode.

≫ These steps should help . . . .

Thanks.  Very useful.  Those are the kinds of ideas that make this Spotify forum a goldmine.  I will pass on these five ideas to my kids who also have the infuriating experience with the Spotify shuffle.

Consequently, my kids have taken the “Easter egg” hunt approach to the Spotify shuffle so they will like your suggested steps a lot.

As an example of looking for the “Easter egg” in this Spotify shuffle video game, my kids just showed me how to shuffle a 202,756 track Spotify Folder with many playlists in many Folders and Sub-folders that I can change easily and then “reinitialize” the shuffle-- using my desktop to set up the perfect Spotify shuffle on my mobile-- until the shuffle breaks and reads some internal computed list instead of looking at the Folder that started and shuffled perfectly for a whole week! 

As you can see below, even the name of the Folder being shuffled shows up correctly and automatically on my mobile queue display when the shuffle is working right!-- but not on my desktop queue display!

Maybe your ideas will help us do what Spotify should be doing-- namely keep the Spotify shuffle from breaking and just looping on an internal computed nonsense file that was already played!

Desktop Folder, File structure, and lacking FolderName in Queue displayDesktop Folder, File structure, and lacking FolderName in Queue display

Shuffle_Mobiule_IMG_0817.jpg

Plan

Currently on the premium plan

Country

US

Device

Samsung Galaxy S23 

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have a playlist with over 81 hours of music and it continues to play repeat song prior to playing songs that still haven't been played on the playlist or I am running into the issue where it will play a bunch of songs from the same artist on shuffle.  This get frustrating because, when I have have a gathering, I would like to put my playlist on shuffle and let it go without worrying about songs repeating.  I want the playlist to actually shuffle. I continue to have this issue even with uninstalling and reinstalling the app. 

I have this same problem. I keep hearing the same songs every time I press play after restarting the app, even though my playlist has 500+ songs. I'm using the smart shuffle function, which I thought should shuffle my own songs and in addition play new songs based on my 'taste'. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

≫ ... I keep hearing the same songs every time I press play after restarting the app ...

Yes-- a big pain!

Furthermore, that repeatBug infuriates every single instance and version of the Spotify player alive today! 

But in 10 seconds, everybody I hear from can leave their Spotify player-- desktop, mobile, TV, and WebPlayer-- in every Spotify player version that my family Spotify accounts use today-- so that in 1, 2, 3, 4, Five!-- 10 seconds-- you can leave any one of those Spotify players in a readyToStartState so that all you do is startPlay-- and Voila!...

... The Spotify player plays a random firstTrack from the playlist, Folder, or Sub-Folder you selected and plays up to 5,302 tracks without repeating any track-- except for those particular tracks that are repeated in the playlist, Folder, or Sub-Folder on which you initiated play by the 1, 2, 3, 4, Five!-- tenSecondInitialization.

Then, after you get the Spotify shuffle play started correctly without repeats-- by the 1, 2, 3, 4, Five!-- tenSecondInitialization as above-- just turn on the smart shuffle function as you like it,  and it will work correctly, presenting for you only the repeats that are designed into the smart shuffle function-- as all my family accounts tell me.

Because the Spotify shuffle gives none of those infuriating if you initialize it correctly by the appropriate 1, 2, 3, 4, Five!-- tenSecondInitializtion-- I suggest that you and everybody else concerned should get the Spotify Help information corrected so that the Spotify Help information has what you need to fix this.

I have the same issue as many other users have regarding Spotify shuffle function. Out of a large playlist, Spotify only shuffles from a smaller subset. Same artists' songs keep shuffling. This has been raised by other users and it always comes to the same Spotify answer by TomLegend, which doesn't help at all. He says in his answer that they have a few troubleshooting steps and threads related to the issues, but doesn't provide a link to those steps and threads. Some other steps he listed in his answer are totally useless.

It is a reason to cancel my subscription. Not only because I need this function, but because I know as a dev it's so simple to implement. Mersenne Twister anyone? Large playlists (constantly playing party playlists) need this feature the most. It also creates a feedback loop: "Oh I guess he really like the songs I've been "rANdOmLy" playing 500 times over and over again, specifically..." 

Its done on purpose to drive you to pay for Spotify. As if the constant interruption of ads was not enough. They, like all companies want to shake every last penny out of you that they can.

Suggested posts