Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle mode playing the same songs all the time

Shuffle mode playing the same songs all the time

I have a playlist with 10,000 songs and use shuffle to listen to them. What I realized the past weeks is that the same songs are played over and over again - and not because I listen to this playlist 24/7 but because the shuffle mode seems to not pick songs just randomly but has some kind of algorythm behind to pick certain songs all the time again and again. This is quiet annoying because the reason I use shuffle in a playlist with 10,000 is not to listen to the same songs all the time but to have variety!

156 Replies

Hi @Tom7777777,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

Unfortunately, in large playlists (over 150 songs), the shuffle option prioritizes the songs that Spotify perceives you enjoy the most; this is why you might notice that some songs are repeated while listening on shuffle.

However, there is currently a Live Idea to have an option for a “true” shuffle, which would play all the songs in a playlist in a random order, and once they’re all played, reshuffle them and play them again. If this is something you’re interested in, I’d recommend adding your +VOTE to this idea; the more votes an idea gets, the likelier it is that Spotify will implement it, and you can read more about how feedback on ideas reaches Spotify here.

It will also be useful for you to Subscribe to the idea by clicking the three dots next to its title; that way, you can be sure to be informed of any relevant updates.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

"In large playlists (over 150 songs), the shuffle option prioritizes the songs that Spotify perceives you enjoy the most."

Why? This is the stupidest thing ever for a shuffle option.

Hi there @Supercool131,

Thank you for your reply.

Some devices can't handle playlists that are this big , so in order to improve compatibility with devices of all types, the app caches and pre-loads "chunks" of playlists. It then tries to prioritize the most favored songs as previously described.

With time and optimizations, this should become better. In the meantime we'd recommend to split playlists up into more manageable parts. 

We hope this clear things up 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

This has been an incredible frustration to me as well.  You might as well just only allow 150 songs per playlist.  But, we'd all agree that that is stupid, so just only play 150 songs??

Which devices??  Seems like any device I use can stream anything I tell it to.  I'm not buying this.  How is this getting worse with each update?  Seems like technology is moving forward everywhere else, but Spotify can't shuffle 200 songs??  Maybe we need to rethink who we're giving our money to.

Breaking up your playlists into multiple playlists is not a solution.

Mankind has been to the moon. Any device in our era surely is capable of a playlist with over 150 songs. Get your dev team to optimize it.

It's not even 150. I typically get 30-40 songs "shuffled" in the same order every time, and the songs only change if I manually select one that wasn't played before. Even then, a good chunk of the "new" songs were playing in the previous group.

It's comical that Spotify still can't get this fixed.

Was wondering why my playlist was just constantly playing Despacito. Thanks Spotify. 

Respectfully Jeremy, If you and your spotify team had any common sense you would stop telling people to “break up” their playlists (because who has the time or tranquility to do that) and come up with a real solution. Lots of people are getting real tired of spotify and it’s constant complicated excuses for simple problems. It’s not that hard to have a “true shuffle” option, my Ipod shuffle in 2007 seemed to handle hundreds of songs just fine. 

You might as well give up, there will never be a proper shuffle, if so they wouldn't have it removed in the first place and made this so called shuffle more single lined with every update.

Would be better if you could hit shuffle and the entire playlist would shuffle (then play in the shuffled order), that way you can hit it a few times and make sure it does it.

I'm tired of hearing the same songs over and over. It makes me want to look for alternatives to Spotify. 

Hey! I just noticed that you can press the "queue" button, then press "shuffle", while listening to songs on a playlist. That way, you can see the shuffled order of the songs without needing to shuffle the whole playlist. Hopefully this helps in some way 🙂

yeah i have about 600 song in one of my playlists but the same 20 or so songs just keep playing i work on the road so am driving during the day and so use Spotify a lot but have got fed up with this

I just googled this topic for my playlist that’s only 138 songs and it’s played about only half of the playlist and now replaying multiple songs I’ve already listened to.  

Daaaamn! I was wondering why my songs kept repeating. This is the stupidest thing ever. Time to go to Amazon music. 

I've just become a huge fan of a band that's been around a while and has a few albums out now. Every time I go to Spotify and want to listen to their music on shuffle on my iPhone, I get the same few songs over and over! I want to listen to their entire discography on shuffle, not the same ten or fifteen songs I heard yesterday, and the day before that and the day before that! Ridiculous!

cAn ThE dEvS dO sOmEtHiNg 

Suggested posts