Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please improve the Android client? :)

Please improve the Android client? :)

Dear Spotify team,

after using your service for almost 6 months and being a Premium subscriber since day one I have to say that the Desktop client is pretty good, the mobile (especially Android) client is horrible. Here are a few things you could fix. And hey, being an Android App developer myself I'll even post you links how to do it XD

1. Why can't we add entire albums or al songs from an artist to a playlist?

To implement this you need to go into your *yourname*_menu.xml and add "Add Album to" and "Add all songs to" into the context menu that will be created when in the fragment to display artist information (It's a TabHost, isn't it?) As Spotify isn't open source I don't know what it's called 😛

2. Play all songs by an artist. Or add a quickselect feature what songs to play

Why the hell would I have to create a playlist and then add ALL the songs from the artist into it one by one into it to listen to all songs by an artist?

You can either use the *yourame*_menu.xml method to create a button saying "play all songs" in the artist context menu. BUT even better would be to add an option to select a couple of songs that then get queued. again, not one by one but all at once. You could use a CheckBox in your row_layout (taking that you're using a custom implementation of the BaseAdapter to do your list views) and set the CheckBox to hidden when not needed. Think about it 😛

3. Tripple click on Headphone Media Button trigers previous song

This actually worked on my iPhone but not on my Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7. Not sure if it's the headphones or if the Android Spotify client doesn't support this. It's pretty easy. I assume you're already using an instance of the RemoteControlReceiver and just add this into a Switch/Case:

elseif (keycode == KeyEvent.KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS) {
// Your code here :)
}

4. Please give your Service a higher priority!

I assume you're using a Service or IntentService (probably a Service though :P) to play music in the background? I'm not really experienced with media streaming. But at times when I pause a song to maybe get a pizza from a store and need to communicate with other human beings (yes that happens 🐵 Android will kill the Service and when I press to resume the song it doesn't do that 😞 I know it's not your fault, it's Android. But maybe there are flags you can set to prevent that from happening. Otherwise check out this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9019137/changing-thread-priority-doesnt-have-an-effect/9394426#

5. Allow your Application to have a landscape mode:

In your Android Manifest remove the:

<activityandroid:screenOrientation="portrait"android:configChanges="orientation|keyboardHidden"></activity>

and create a *yourname*_layout_landscape.xml and create a custom layout for a landscape mode if you don't like the way Android scales your layout horizontally. I can understand why. It looks **** most of the time 😛 But that would be really cool

Well that's it for now. I just really wanted to post these. I'm kinda getting frustrated about the lack of features in the Android Client. Please fix these? Pretty please? please? 😄 Thank you!

2 Replies

Hi,

Please submit any suggestions you have for Spotify over in the ideas section of the community. If they're already there, make sure to add Kudos and comment!

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

@SpaceKookie wrote:

Dear Spotify team,

---

3. Tripple click on Headphone Media Button trigers previous song

This actually worked on my iPhone but not on my Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7. Not sure if it's the headphones or if the Android Spotify client doesn't support this. It's pretty easy. I assume you're already using an instance of the RemoteControlReceiver and just add this into a Switch/Case:

elseif (keycode == KeyEvent.KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS) {
// Your code here :)
}

I'd like point out that #3 in the list must now 2½ years later be considered a bug. It's standard in most players and it's very annoying to be without it.

Suggested posts