NEXT STEP

Podcast restarts after playing ad

Podcast restarts after playing ad

Plan - Premium

Country - USA

Device - Pixel 5

Operating System - Android

My Question or Issue

If I am in the middle of a podcast and an ad starts playing (on JRE for instance), the podcast will restart at the beginning once the ad is complete. This is really frustrating for longer podcasts because it is difficult to find my place again. This happens about once every three podcasts or so.

51 Replies

Hi @been__jammin,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

We do appreciate your input in this. We can see the post you shared in the first ongoing issue.

Please don't forget to share your device and app info in this thread shared by @Alex, this way our dev team can keep working on this specific issue.

Cheers. 

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Facing this same issue on Free and Premium version of Spotify. (Device is Samsung S20) Followed up on this thread and nothing worked. Also see a lot of people facing this issue - https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/lp9x2s/podcasts_restarting_after_ads/ Defiantly a bug somewhere as it is not device/internet connection/permission specific. It is absolutely frustrating and the main reason I cancelled my Premium plan. Cant pay 10$ for the same shitty experience. 

Hi @DocileDev,

Thank you for posting on this thread and welcome to the Community. 

We're aware of this issue happening to some users. We've been handling the report in this thread, but we need to gather more information in order to pass it to the right team.

Please head there and share the following info:

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Is this happening only to a specific podcast?
  • Any troubleshooting that you've tried

We'll be on the lookout. 

MafeGModerator

JRE Lex Fridman has restarted 4 times in the 1st 60 minutes. I barely want to listen to JRE or LPoTL any more because of constant restarts and not being able to figure out exactly where I was. I have already cleared the cache and done a clean install per support. Same issue. I miss being able to listen to my podcasts on Pocket Casts or YouTube music because these apps worked great.

Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is the phone I use.

Same thing happen to me and I’m canceling my subscription . Cant pay for an unfinished app. It’s not a once and a while thing. It’s almost every ep on JRE

I have been have the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy and the JRE podcast. I noticed the problem started once maps and spotify got linked. 

I have the same issue with the JRE podcast and my cell phone. It happens all the time. Usually when I'm driving. It doesn't make sense. I have a Samsung Galaxy 9. Everything is up to date. No weird settings. Everything works fine otherwise. I do think i remember the problem starting around the time google maps and spotify offered linking. Which mine are. So maybe I will undo that and see what happens. It's really annoying and super dangerous to try and find your spot in a podcast driving 65. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

In this case we'd recommend that you head here and share the following info in that thread. That way we can gather it and investigate this further.

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Is this happening only to a specific podcast?
  • Any troubleshooting that you've tried

We'll be on the lookout. 

Ver Moderator

Same!

Hi @user-removed,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.

If you're experiencing the described issue, please check the thread shared by @Ver, which is where we're handling it.

There you will find several troubleshooting steps, make sure to follow them so we can avoid repeating them.

We'll be on the lookout. 

MafeGModerator

I have exact same issue on Samsung s20.  Have tried all suggestions but nothing has worked.  Podcast still restarting after ad break.  Very frustrating..

I have tried everything. It just keeps happening. I'm convinced Google maps
integration is the culprit though.

Hi folks,

Thanks for posting here and keeping us updated!

@J3ff_m, If you're experiencing the exact same issue, as described, then check out the thread shared by @Ver, as this is the topic where we are collecting and handling your feedback for this issue.

@rmelia13, this it is an interesting hypothesis, and it could be worthwhile testing it. Can we ask you to share if the issue is still persistent, after unlinking the accounts? 

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply, thanks!

Mario Moderator

This is happening to me too. Had a long reply written bit got an error trying to post and I'm not writing it all again. There's no good reason for both problems not to be fixed by now.

Hey @Makethisstop,

Thanks for reaching out.

We're sorry to hear that you're also experiencing this. As @Ver mentioned above, make sure to leave the required info in this thread, which is the one we're using to gather the necessary info and feedback about this issue to further look into it.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Where do I send the invoice for beta testing this product?

I was wondering same thing.  I've spent 3 hours trying out different configurations to provide what they are asking and it's ridiculous that I have to do this WHILE paying for this shitty experience.  I thought I had figured it out (by turning all permissions on, which didn't make sense but it was the first time i made it past the ad without restarting) but then a few days later the bug came back.  It sucks that i can't cancel my subscription as the only reason i pay for this stupid thing is Joe Rogan. 

Good lord, I just typed out a rather detailed response and lost it.  I hadn't registered yet, so I did because after I tried to reply it forced me to create a user name and got the same error another user mentioned earlier in this thread and it canned my entire reply I spent 15 minutes typing and curating.

So here goes: 

Oh awesome, a survey asking to give feedback about my experience just popped up in the middle of typing this and bogged down my browser.

Ok, so I am also having the exact same problem with JRE episodes restarting from the beginning after ads.  I am using a free, crappy LG LMX410-ASR.  I just got it as a quick replacement for free from AT&T and because I'm lazy af I hadn't updated my OS and this was happening in Android 8.1 - I am updating as I type this but I thought the fact that this is happening to different people with different versions on different phones could be useful information.  I also have not linked Spotify with Maps.  My original reply was much more detailed but I'm not retyping that all after that error.

I have the exact same issue, restarts my JRE episode almost every time I have an add. I have a S9, premium Spotify and have maps linked. A solution would be very helpful, I have tied all the solutions above with no success.

I am so past psst about this. I pay for ad free to begin with. I get ads during podcast (j rogan) and every time the ads come through and when returning- the podcast starts over. This happens if i skip ahead or let the ads play through. I tried every single suggestion listed... even tried a different phone. Please help! 

Suggested posts