Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium - Help deleting downloaded songs

Solved!

Premium - Help deleting downloaded songs

I have Spotify Premium and I have many entire albums downloaded as playlists to my external sd card. I am trying to clear up some space on my external sd card and so I press on the album/playlist and then press "undownload". Then the songs/album do not show as downloaded anymore in Spotify, but the problem is I go through my phone's menu to check how much available space there is on my external sd card and it is exactly the same as before--even after "undownloading" 4 full albums. By the way, I have a Samsung S3.

Any suggestions on how I can really delete the albums from my external sd card?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there.
The clear cache option mentioned above will delete all downloaded content. If youmark a given playlist to un-download then it will not be removed straight away ... spotify keeps the data for a while in case its needs again. However it will be removed after a while. We've tried to ascertain how long that might be but spotify haven't given a concrete answer ... but it will clear down the space eventually
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hey 😉

I don't think there is a way to clear the Spotify cache from inside the android application. You will manually need to remove those files. There are instructions on this topic.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks. Now I see that if I go to /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.androi

d.ui/cache/Storage/ on my phone I can clear the cache of saved files. The problem for me though is that I don't want to clear all my downloads, and spotify labels their folders with random folder names (like 8c, 1a, etc) instead of the playlist/album name. Is there any way for me to tell which ones are which so I can only delete the ones I want?

Hey again 🙂

I have asked someone how knows about the android client to answer this for you shortly 😉 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Go to Settings apps and select Spotify, then clear cache 🙂
Marked as solution

Hi there.
The clear cache option mentioned above will delete all downloaded content. If youmark a given playlist to un-download then it will not be removed straight away ... spotify keeps the data for a while in case its needs again. However it will be removed after a while. We've tried to ascertain how long that might be but spotify haven't given a concrete answer ... but it will clear down the space eventually
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

@licenced wrote:
Hi there.

OK great! Thanks for looking into that for me.

I have Android 4.1.2 on an S3. I wish I could easily move the music storage to the ext sd but can't. So I did a clear cache under manage apps and the cache usage by the app went from 3.61 GB to 0 B. Spotify said my playlists were still downloaded but they didn't act like it. I undownloaded and re-downloaded, didn't help. I restarted the phone and Spotify agreed nothing was downloaded, so it needed the restart. Downloaded some playlists again and the cache usage is going up again.

As others have said Spotify should clean up the cache eventually if you undownload playlists. Clearing the whole cache for the app is a bit drastic but at least now I understand what happens.

Great, KevinH51, this works 🙂 Thanks a lot! Have an S3 although.

Well it would be great though to know how long the deleted playlists are kept in cache... Really!

1. click undownload

2. fast forward time & date settings

3. check storage capacity if space has been reclaimed

4. change back to original time & date settings

5. youre welcome

If you, for example, want to un-download certain playlist, there is a "Cancel Download" option where you open the playlist there should be three dots in the right corner and there is cancelling option. Worked for me when I downloaded a playlist with 1000+ songs

Has anyone else tried this? How far forward should data/time be set?

Suggested posts