Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Quality of downloaded tracks

Quality of downloaded tracks

My quality settings are, Normal for streaming and Extreme for downloading. I also keep my songs (songs I saved to my music) offline, so when I click 'save to my music', it downloads. Here's my question; I'm listening to a song (streaming) and I tap + (save to my music) and it will download. But the player had downloaded the song in 96kbps for streaming. Does it use the cached file for saving, or does it actually download it again as 320kbps quality?

Should I remove the track from my collection and add it again?

Omer Faruk Bingol
2 Replies

Hi. It should download the song at 320kb/s. Does it not seem like it when you listen to a downloaded song (the difference between 96 and 320 kbp/s should be pretty noticable)?

On the other hand if you stream a song which you have downloaded, spotify should play the downloaded version to save bandwidth so you should hear the extreme quality version.

Actually, I should be able to notice the difference between the two quality settings. But; 1-In this particular example I don't listen to the same song twice with the two sample rates. I only listen in 96kbps and tap (+) to save, and the green tick appears immediately. I assume it didn't download the song in 320kbps because it dosn't show any sign, like the grayed out circular sign.

2-Because I am probably just listening to this song the first time, I wouldn't really be able to notice any difference in first hearing ( I assume ). I just keep the streaming setting at 96kbps just to not eat through my data plan for songs I skip, which would be downloaded unnecessarily at 4G speeds. But Spotify and good headphones combination makes even the 96kbps songs sound really good anyway.

Omer Faruk Bingol

Suggested posts