Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Random devices hijacking my account through spotify conntect, any help?

Random devices hijacking my account through spotify conntect, any help?

Hi, i really need some help trying to disconnect / kick off any 'connected' devices from my spotify account? Every time i log in through my phone, some random device will connect, sometimes it's a PC sometimes it's another phone by the looks of things, they're playing music through my account and i can't see a way to disconnect them?

I'm having to constantly remain logged out of my account otherwise, or when they're connected, play really offensive music so they disconnect. 

Is there a way to see a list of connected devices and 'disconnect' them? It's driving me nuts.

Thanks,

Rich

26 Replies

Hey @ricgalbraith,Welcome to the community! 🙂

This doesnt sound nice, I suggest you change your password, this will disconnect any devices linked to your account 🙂

you can reset your Spotify Password here

https://www.spotify.com/password-reset/

I hope this helped 🙂

Great, I'll give that a shot and see if it works, thanks for the help, kudos given.

No that does not help. I solved it once by removing all the devices connected ONCE. And then all of a sudden again someone is playing music on a device on my account which makes NO SENSE. I never gave away my password. I scanned my phone then changed password as well as pc but someone is still popping up. What's the deal?

This has been happening to me for months... I kick off all devices ... change passwords... and still "foriegn" users  (im assuming as the device names are quite ethnic) are accessing my account through connect.  I'm just so annoyed.  Spotify is not help.  Have you been able to solve?

I've been paying for this service for years --- not even sure who I should switch to...b/c thats how Im believing is th only way to solve is by cancelling!

Thanks all!

@MelissasMission

It's a little extreme, but my suggestion would be for you to create a new account with a different email address (not the one you use for facebook).

Once you have this new account, contact customer support and they'll help you migrate your Premium privileges, library, playlists, friends, etc. to this new account.

And ask them if with a new account all those foreign devices would stay in the old deprecated one.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

You say they are accessing your account through connect... are you using this own private Wi-Fi connection or are you on a shared network?

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

The same thing has happened to me as well. I'm not using facebook as a login. Mine seems to be solved after a password change.

Same issue for me, a weird device show up an dthey play korean music. If I play anything to their device they disconnect.

I have changed password in FaceBook, disconnect all connected devices to facebook. I can't chang my spotify password, cause I am connected to facebook.

They simply change my music while I am listening.

Hey @user-removed use the online contact form and someone at Spotify can help get this sorted. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it by email and you will hear back from one of the team shortly.

This just happened to me as well, with some random iphone playing spanish music through my account.  Is it possible there is some flaw in Spotify that allows people to listen to music through someone else's account without knowing their password?

Hey @jrharmon82

Check that your email address is correct in your profile page (not been altered by someone else) and change the password to a more secure one.

Then, there is option to sign out from all devices in your account's main control panel (at the very bottom).

Be sure to check this Support article for more steps to follow to secure your account.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Similar problem.

I was out running a couple of weeks ago and my Spotify connected with a nearby phone and started playing there music. 

After trying to disconnect for a while I look up to see someone on their bike, stopped, staring with frustration at their phone. I guess it was them. 

It's now connecting to someone in my block playing Indonesian playlists. I'm sure they don't want to listen to my stuff. 

I'm cancelling if this nonsense carries on.

As @osornios said, Be sure to check this Support article for more steps to follow to secure your account.

Hi,
I have a similar problem.

I listen to Spotify at work. I am on a shared internet network (ethernet not wifi) for the office. While I am listening to music, my Spotify randomly connects to another device on the network, that I do not own and probably belongs to one of my colleagues. My music starts playing on their device, or their music starts playing on my device, in the middle of my playlist. It is disruptive and extremely frustrating.

I have logged out and in again, completely uninstalled the app and then launched it again, secured my account by logging out all devices and changing password, but all of this as no effect.

Please help.

I was driving today and this happened to me! While driving I decided to put on some music, but I couldn't get anything other than this banda song to play. Sometimes I listen to banda, but only certain groups. This was clearly one that I had not listented to before. 

I disconnected all devices, but it still wouldn't work to play music on; it kept switching through songs. It was only after I changed my password that it seems to have reset.

From all the complaints on here, either we just all really suck at passwords or, more likely, there's a programming problem. 

what?! From the people who took away drag and drop?! I'm shocked! Shocked I say 😕 lol

I've experienced similar issue starting yesterday evening. My phone is a Samsung S7. And yesterday, it was LG and today it's a MOTO mobile phone on war with me for connection as at this moment. A war between boyband songs (mine) vs spanish songs (MOTO). I've logged in via Facebook login and temporarily managed to be in control by going to account setting > 'sign out everywhere'. Since this is not a new issue with Spotify, does Spotify team have any ideas what's going on other than security violation?

Hey @Xulf @bean420

Be sure to check this Support article.

The best course of action when something like that happens is to create a new account with a different email address from the one you're using (Tip: don't use the one you use for Facebook). That will give you a different Spotify username.

Once you have this new account, fill out the contact form, and someone from Spotify will be happy to help you migrate your Premium privileges, library, playlists, friends, etc. to this new account.

Connected devices stay with the old account, so you'll have a fresh start without them.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Are you guys all rooted? Its happening to me as well and it pisses me off! They deleted all my playlists!!! :@ luckily i could retrive them back from Spotify's main site! 

I'm also having this problem. I contacted customer support and they basically reset my billing info (for some reason) and I obviously tried disconnecting all devices and changin my PWs. Still not working... It's pretty frustrating that Spotify won't acknowledge this as a problem and is trying to spin it as if I lost/gave out my password. This is definitely an issue on their end. 

Suggested posts