Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Notes - Spotify for Android 0.5.12.52

Release Notes - Spotify for Android 0.5.12.52

What's new in this version:

- New: When you first install the app, Spotify will store your data in the most efficient location on your phone/device.
- New: From within settings, you can clear all temporary data and downloaded tracks stored on your device.
- Fixed: Spotify would occasionally get stuck in Offline mode
- Fixed: The app will no longer crash due to a lack of memory.
- Fixed: Radio won’t crash when loading artists.

Please note: if you were using the Spotify app already and you want to change the location where your playlists are stored, you need to exit the Spotify app, go into your device's Settings, Apps, Spotify, then tap Clear data and Clear cache.

Note: If you're having trouble with an update, please always make sure to go through the [Android] Troubleshooting Spotify steps before posting.

Community Ergo Sum
83 Replies

@bruman wrote:

Don't celebrate too soon... For what I read about it, if the app is allowing external card storage, it's just because it's currently the roomiest space around. But as soon as the available space on this location is smaller than the one on any other on the phone, it should switch to it, resulting in the loss of all your local tracks and playlists. Not likely to happen in most cases, but possible, depending of the configuration of the device.

Not likely, since you had to clear all of the data from the old version in order to get it to select the new storage location. If what you where saying was true, it should have moved it by itself when you updated (if your SD card had more space). Haven't tested it, but thats what I would think!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter wrote:

Not likely, since you had to clear all of the data from the old version in order to get it to select the new storage location. If what you where saying was true, it should have moved it by itself when you updated (if your SD card had more space). Haven't tested it, but thats what I would think!

Peter

The fact is that I didn't update yet (still sticking to 0.5.5.13). And I managed to choose the SD card by temporarily installing that much talked about old version that still allows it. I hate those apps which decide for you where and when things are meant to be done. Are we not men ?

Even if that's true, it won't matter in my case.  I always have very little space on the phone and am constantly either moving stuff from the phone to the card or just deleting.  I have about 5 gigs left on the SD card, and that's after downloading the playlists I wanted.

@bruman wrote:

Don't celebrate too soon... For what I read about it, if the app is allowing external card storage, it's just because it's currently the roomiest space around. But as soon as the available space on this location is smaller than the one on any other on the phone, it should switch to it, resulting in the loss of all your local tracks and playlists. Not likely to happen in most cases, but possible, depending of the configuration of the device.

We only change storage location when we cannot find a cache. That means than unless you wipe the cache (using the built in feature or by wiping it by hand) we will not select a new storage location.

@bruman wrote:

What about devices with 3 different storage locations, like Samsung W (1 Gb system storage,  1.7 Gb 'external storage', 16 Gb external SD card) ?

Currently, downloaded tracks are stored on my externalSD card (thanks to the 'old version app trick'), but I noticed that many apps don't even see my external SD card, using instead the small 'external storage' viewed as a SD card. I'm afraid this will be the case with Spotify and therefore I'm not disposed to update. But I'm wondering if it will update automatically at next login...

On a new install, or after you on purpose have deleted the cache from within the app we should be able to detect your 16 Gb external card.  If not, get in touch with customer support and we'll try to help out. It _should_ not clear any data on an update. 

@atexit wrote:
We only change storage location when we cannot find a cache. That means than unless you wipe the cache (using the built in feature or by wiping it by hand) we will not select a new storage location.
On a new install, or after you on purpose have deleted the cache from within the app we should be able to detect your 16 Gb external card.  If not, get in touch with customer support and we'll try to help out. It _should_ not clear any data on an update. 

May God hear you... even though I'd rather do it myself.

Anyway, thanks for clarification.

I followed the instructions to try to get the spotify app to store my music on my sd card with 29 free gbs of space and it still insists on putting my music on my phone with 5 gbs. I really miss the  app to sd function. Tired of losing my downloaded music since this fiasco began. Bring back the choice to use our sd cards again. The app does not make the best choice always.

Maybe could you tell what phone you're using, could be useful to those who own the same.

It seems that remain some devices that don't obey to Spotify programmers. What a shame... And I bet there will be more and more since new models appear every day. It's a losing battle, you should resign yourself to it and give us back this darn button. Please.

I am on a droid x , just updated to most recent app after deleting cache. Music still goes onto internal storage even though SD card has about 6x more space. Go figure. Miss old app.

Droid x runs Gingerbread. I guess they focus more on Jelly Bean.

Maybe you could try to get in touch with customer support, they're supposed to help when their features don't work.

what is so difficult about allowing users to choose the location where they want to download?

@MarkcusD wrote:
what is so difficult about allowing users to choose the location where they want to download?

It's not difficult. They just don't want doing it because (I'm afraid) they take us for dummies. And they don't want that dummies make silly things with their devices. As I already wrote, it's something called 'levelling downwards'. 'Make it simple' is the motto, so that anybody can use anything without trouble. But the drawback of this is that there are limits, due to the fact that they just can't take account of all the cases that can arise. And when it doesn't work anymore for more and more users, these ones just leave. The thing is to know until how many 'left behind' it remains sustainable. (And sorry for you if you are one of these 'left behind'.)

I just wonder why they don't design it in such a way that the button is out of reach of the lambda user, letting those who want it make their own settings. This is a bit of a puzzler for me (and I guess for many people down here).

Hi,

I'm still having problems getting Spotify to use the external SD card.

Have updated Spotify, cleared Data and Cache both from the App Settings screen and manually on the tablet, uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled Spotify but when I start to download playlists the internal SD cards free space seems to be going down and not the external SD cards space.

The tablet says:

Internal Storage

Total space: 0.98GB

Internal SDcard

Total space: 5.06GB

External SDcard

Total space: 29.71GB

Any ideas?

Matt

Hi. What device are you using? Try the troubleshooting steps here and see if that helps.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

I have an android Fusion 5 Tablet.

Tried the troubleshooting steps but no success.

The com.spotify.mobile.android.ui folder was there after I'd cleared spotify data and the cache but wasn't there after I'd uninstalled Spotify so I don't think that's getting left over and stopping the new install from choosing a new storage location.

Tablet OS is 4.0.4

Version of Spotify is 0.5.13.63

Matt

Does anyone know if it is possible/how to turn off the vibration that goes with the music when playing through the app. I find it really irritating and want to turn it off but can't figure out how.

There appears to be an option for it, have a read at this post

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Is there anywhere else cache files could have been stored that aren't deleted when you uninstall?

Reply to matt re. orphan files  (tracks left behind) after uninstall

Check in file LOST.DIR folder and look for individual track files.  Works for my netbook. You can also check your card by unmount then put into a laptop or netbook with adapter and search for lost track files there (LOST.DIR  probably)  .Each time they update and I do a clean install, I have to get rid of everything spotify on phone and card  then do clean install. FILEHORSE seems to work better for myself for installing latest and old versions of spotify.. 

Hope this helps. Don't know what systems you are playing with. I am on Droid X, SD card 32 gbs, and use acer netbook with windows XP. Currently in process of downloaded the new update myself as the auto install once again fails.

Thanks 1houndgal,

I've had a look in the LOST.DIR on the internal and external SD's but there doesn't seem to be anything in there.

I'm struggling to get this new update to use the external SD card (32GB) for storage.

There are a few posts a bit earlier in the topic with more about what I've tried so far etc.

Since I cleared all the Spotify data and uninstalled/reinstalled the app, I've noticed quite a good speed increase on my tablet because of the memory it's now got back. But at the moment it looks like it's just going to fill the internal card up again.

Matt

Suggested posts