Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

S3 Inbox crash

Solved!

S3 Inbox crash

Description

Since moving from IOS to a Galaxy S3 GT-19300 I have been unable to launch the Inbox.  Every time that I select it the app instantly crashes and offers me the opportunity to send a crash report to Spotify.  Multiple reinstalls (powering handset off inbetween uninstall and reinstall) to no avail.  Followed the troubleshooting guide to the letter, the folder that it suggested I delete (data\com.spotify. something or other) before reinstalling was not there.  Issue has now been present for several weeks.  Has never worked.  Worked fine on IOS, works fine on desktop.

Friend with same handset does not have this issue.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

Open Spotify

Select menu button at top left (square button with three lines)

Select Inbox

App crashes every time

What I expected to happen

Expected Inbox contents to be displayed

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Galaxy S3 GT-19300

Device’s Operating System

Ice Cream Sandwich (stock Samsung Touchwiz)

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

3 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

N/A

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

No

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

0.8.4.124.ga3559d86

My mobile provider and country

Orange, UK

My username

teamgamy

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

As I'm not using any backup at the moment I think I'll keep that as a last resort for now 😉
To me this really feels like there's just some kind of corruption in my inbox. Wonder if it could be a particular track? One thing I haven't tried is emptying the inbox... Will try that now...

View solution in original post

26 Replies

Hi! That's a bit odd I'd say. Is the OS version 4.0.4 or the 4.0.3. - checked the newest updates to the OS. I'd say you could try to install an older version of the app to see if it works there - as if if its a device vs new app problem or an account or such as problem. I just tested mine (4.0.4 Galaxy Note Stock) worked like a charm.

You are using the newest Spotify client and thats good. You have any offline playlists synced? Just thinking if there is a spotify cache or such that has false information or such that could cause issues.

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

I'm using 4.0.4 (though I have recently upgraded the OS via Kies so I'd assume that I might have been on a previous version until then. Fault persisted before and after the upgrade. Last reinstall I did involved clearing the spotify cache, and the fault was still there before I started to re-download any offline playlists.
How would I go about trying an older version of the app?

I'v collected few older versions and I'v compiled them in a list to my Dropbox account

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/REQUEST-Previous-version-of-the-client-APK/m-p/79997/...

I'd say 0.4.12.180 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/uv6id0gqad8ypr7/SpotifyAndroid.apk is the best one.

The list also has the preview version.

You'd need to have "allow Unknown ... "set in the settings to allow direct APK installation. I'd suggest to turn it off when you have tried this. (default is off).

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

Tried the one you recommended, but it doesn't run at *all* well on this handset. Freezing and crashing all over the place. Couldn't really get as far as testing the Inbox as a result. Tried 0.5.0.1247 which looks identical to the current version. Fault persists...

Tried 0.4.12.180, also unusable so can't test inbox...

Ok, so then it must be an issue with something. I'll go ahead and escalate this problem to the mods.

Much obliged. Ta for the help so far.

Just to clarify, you can still use the app but not access the inbox? Other functions work fine?

Absolutely. Everything works except for the crash when selecting Inbox. One other tiny issue that may or may not be relevant :
The folder hierarchy appears a little off kilter in the app. There are inconsistencies between the hierarchical structure in desktop and app, in particular my main playlist folder, which was placed puzzlingly within an unrelated playlist folder in the app. Difficult to describe in prose, but can try if needed... Suffice to say there's something a bit fishy there.

Thanks for the clarification. The more we know about the issue - the better. Surely one could try to a) factory reset the device / format usb storage etc. and see if it works when Spotify is the first app you install since factory reset (sure this would require to back stuff up etc.) And / or try cleaning the inbox of messages(?) if they are causing the issues - if its empty - would it work...

Anyways, these are just my ramblings. Let's first see if there is something odd in the account or such or if others have some things to test out first.

PS. I'm usually the way that I just back stuff up and try it. Using My Backup Pro to backup stuff to SD card - solves alot of issues 🙂

Marked as solution

As I'm not using any backup at the moment I think I'll keep that as a last resort for now 😉
To me this really feels like there's just some kind of corruption in my inbox. Wonder if it could be a particular track? One thing I haven't tried is emptying the inbox... Will try that now...

Could you please log out and in of the Spotify app and try again?

Community Ergo Sum

Just tried - fault persists.
It thinks about it for a sec, black screen, then "unfortunately spotify has stopped".

Right, I didn't want to get drastic right off the bat.

Did you try emptying your inbox on your desktop?

Community Ergo Sum

Not yet, i'm waiting for my wife to finish her lunch before she clears the inbox out 🙂

Thats why I said backup backup backup. Most people might do stuff right off the back, but I want to make sure I can restore stuff right before I do anything.

Backups Backups Backups 🙂

And like PerBonomi and I stated before, clearing the Inbox would be my next bet. Before reseting and formatting..

I'd make sure to back stuff up (full backup) before factory reset & format usb storage. I usually take several backups with diff combos so I can be sure I get all back (don't mind the settings, but call logs, sms, mms, contacts, etc).

Hey there!

How many songs you have in Inbox?

At least in my Android 2.3.6 and Motorola RAZR MAXX no problem with Inbox - it's stable. I have 31 Inbox songs.

I think problem is that you have too many Inbox songs and Android app Spotify crashes.

Cheers.

Or something else. My inbox works OK on 4.0.4 Samsung Galaxy Note with quite a few songs in it. Anyways basic troubleshooting - Step by step.

I reckon there's about 15 in there, tops. Surely a bit reasonable amount? Anyways, I'll report back once it's cleared...

Suggested posts