Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

STOP Spotify from opening automatically in car already!

STOP Spotify from opening automatically in car already!

• Plan

Premium

Country

California 

Device

Samsung S22

My Question or Issue

I've been trying to get Spotify to stop automatically opening in my car every time I start it for the better part of a year now. I've read and tried EVERY possibly fix and nothing has worked. At the moment most all of my settings related to Spotify whether in the app, in my phone settings, in my smart things settings, and in my Ford Sync settings are turned off. It still comes on when I start my car. No other app does this. This has been an issue from what I can tell since around 2016. It's super frustrating. I've been working on it AGAIN this morning for the better part of a couple hours now trying any new fix I can find online and still Spotify keeps opening up and playing in my car even when I fully close the app before starting the car. 

Samsung S22

Ford Sync.

1. Why is this only an issue with Spotify and why isn't it fixed after so many years? I'm at my wits end and am begging for a solution because deleting the app (which I don't want to do) is about the only option at this point.
5 Replies

If you already turned-off car thing on the app, try removing the nearby devices permission. Go to app manager on your phone settings, scroll down to the Spotify app, then disable nearby devices permission.

I have the same problem, and came here to search one last time to see if Spotify provided a solution. I've tried EVERY possible setting without success over too long a long period of time.  It's so incredibly annoying.  Starting the car, ending a phone call, whatever - I should be able to start the app when *I* want it.  Connect to bluetooth SHOULD NOT equal autoplay.  Spotify can blame it on Android, or bluetooth, but I don't have this issue with other music players, so that's just BS.  I finally got so sick of this pissing me off that I gave up and uninstalled it from my phone.  @Spotify - if you EVER finally fix this, maybe I'll go back to using it as my music app on my phone, but for now - this is a deal-breaker.  I'm out.

This may have indeed solved my dilemma. I set up Spotify to stream across my home with Arylic Streamers for the people at home. I drive off in my car for an errand and the media stops playing in the house. The App constantly wants to connect to the Bluetooth streaming in the car. The last few times I did this with the Nearby Devices Permission off it stayed playing in the house the whole time I was gone.

Nearby permissions is off. It's been off. I'm pretty I have every setting that could possibly be somehow, maybe, related to it I have turned off. It's not only it playing in my car. Spotify launches every time I start up my phone too. It's like Spotify has a hidden setting that makes it try to be open at all times and connect to whatever Bluetooth device is open. I've looked into and tried every option the internet has to offer. This is 100% a Spotify issue as this doesn't happen with any other app that uses Bluetooth and audio. It is so annoying because it's like Spotify has taken over my phone. Every time I turn on or restart my phone, Spotify is open, stick my ear buds in, Spotify opens and starts playing immediately, turn on car, Spotify starts playing immediately. Only Spotify does this. I get the feeling they want this and are choosing to not fix it. 

I have the same problem with my plantronics bluetooth headset. I normally just use it with the computer but when I use it with my Samsung phone, same problem - it automatically starts playing what I was last listening to. Even if I pause, close Spotify, it will restart itself sometime later. I agree, no other app has this kind of behavior. It's pretty pathetic that this issue has been around for so long.

Suggested posts