Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Search query when server connection is not established yet returns "Please try another search"

Solved!

Search query when server connection is not established yet returns "Please try another search"

Description
When the Spotify app is issued a search query while the app is still attempting to connect to the server, the app does not wait for connection and simply returns "No Search Results: Please try another search." Sometimes this search result will remain for that same query, even after connection has been established.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?
Two methods:

1. (Hard to repro) Issue a search query through the app when phone is switching internet connection modes (e.x. WiFi to mobile data or vice versa) or when mobile data signal is weak.

2. Custom app. The app issues a search command to the Spotify app using one of two invocations:

String uri = "spotify:search:" + <search term string here>; 
Intent launcher = new Intent( Intent.ACTION_VIEW, Uri.parse(uri) );
launcher.addFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK);
startActivity(launcher);

final Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_MAIN);
intent.setAction(MediaStore.INTENT_ACTION_MEDIA_PLAY_FROM_SEARCH);
intent.setComponent(new ComponentName("com.spotify.mobile.android.ui", "com.spotify.mobile.android.ui.Launcher"));
intent.putExtra(SearchManager.QUERY, <search term string here>);
startActivity(intent);

My app is run when the Spotify app is not running, thereby starting the com.spotify.mobile.android.ui activity and issuing a search command within that. Since the spotify app/service are still initializing, the search query returns the described "no search results" page.

What I expected to happen
When in online mode, the search query should show a loading page/spinner until a connection with the server has been established, and only then will it return search results.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?
Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?
Yes

Your device
Samsung Galaxy S 3

Device’s Operating System
4.1.2 Jelly Bean

What type of account do you have?
Premium

Space left on your device
7 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)
6.58 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)
N/A

Is your device rooted?
No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?
No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?
No

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?
No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?
I Guess? That's kinda what causes the problem

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?
N/A I guess

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)
N/A

My mobile provider and country
Verizon, USA

My username
jamesr66a

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?
yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?
Tried with both

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?
I don't think screenshots would really help. Will post on request

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I spoke with the Android team. Although it doesn't meet the criteria for an urgent resolution, it's a good find, a great bug report, and we definitely will look into it.

Thanks for the report!

Community Ergo Sum

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

I'll escalate this to the staff so see if anyone else with an android phone can reproduce it (as unfortunately I'm an iOS user, sorry!).

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||
Marked as solution

I spoke with the Android team. Although it doesn't meet the criteria for an urgent resolution, it's a good find, a great bug report, and we definitely will look into it.

Thanks for the report!

Community Ergo Sum

Hi, this is going to have a problem with the search query When the server connection is not yet Established returns "Please try another search Windows Vista SP2

Spoiler

@Goodman wrote:

Thanks for the report!

2015-01-01_024744.png

Suggested posts