Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sleep Timer Missing after recent update

Sleep Timer Missing after recent update

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

Pixel 7

Operating System

Android 13

My Question or Issue

Since my last Spotify update the sleep timer is missing from the menu when I click on the 3 dots on from the now playing part of my Spotify app.

App updated on 11th Jan and it's been missing since then. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Screenshot_20230115-014319.png
Top Answer
Diamondback13
Casual Listener

It started last night for me - where I used to start music,  link to my Google assistant, and then set the sleep timer,  the timer is now gone. My wife found a workaround- start your music, set the timer (it shows before you attach to the Google assistant), and then attach to the Google assistant. 

Top Answer
Yordan

Hi @camillamarchet,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out!

That's odd. I still have the Sleep timer option when I open the context menu of a song. Note that the Sleep timer feature is not available with Spotify Connect.

In case the option is missing and you aren't using Spotify Connect, could you share a screenshot which captures how things look on your end? The following info would also be greatly appreciated:

Something you can try out is logging out and signing back in to your account as it triggers an internal refresh of the app that might help here. If possible, it's also worth checking if you have the option on another mobile device (a friend's or a relative's would do).

Cheers!

77 Replies

The option appeared again when I used headphones rather than a speaker.

It started last night for me - where I used to start music,  link to my Google assistant, and then set the sleep timer,  the timer is now gone. My wife found a workaround- start your music, set the timer (it shows before you attach to the Google assistant), and then attach to the Google assistant. 

Since today the sleep timer is gone. What happened?

Thought I was going crazy. Thanks for confirming it's not just me. 

Yeah like... wth???

I have this exact problem as well. I start playing Spotify by telling Google Assistant to start the music on a Xiaomi Mi Smart speaker. When I then try to set a sleep timer on my phone for the smart speaker I can't find the option anymore. It used to be there until last week but after the most recent update it's gone.

Thank you!!!! I'll use this option for now!!!

Can confirm the issue with Android 13, Spotify version 8.8.0.347. No sleep timer option visible when connected to an audio device (Naim Qb 1 for me), but reappears when playing only through the phone (Samsung A71).

WHY remove a useful feature, Spotify?  This is not an improvement! 

So we're supposed to assume that this is intentional and by design?? 

I don't pay $11 a month for them to remove features without warning. Someone from Spotify better start doing some explaining or I'm out. Unacceptable. 

PS I now use the sonos sleeptimer as workaround. I do see that in the spotify app music keeps streaming all night though. Bad for spotify.

I used to fall asleep to the gentle sounds of lo-fi in my bed on my google nest speakers, which had a nicer sound quality than my phone speakers. Last week, the option to use sleep timer was removed when I turn Spotify on with google nest and it's a real bummer 😭 now I have to either switch to my phone speakers or fall asleep in silence 😓 please bring it back! 

The support team on Twitter confirmed: this is intentional with a new update. 

They suggested, I should post feedback here.

I think, this is awful. I hate it. Please bring back the sleep timer for streaming!

Same issue: last week sleep timer was working whilst streaming (to smart speaker via Google Cast) and now that option is gone.

Please restore this functionality Spotify, I use this every evening 

Who at Spotify decided to remove it?! Are times desperate that they need the playing time to boost numbers?

As someone who struggles to sleep, knowing I could set the timer and it would turn off after a while was such a great feature. Really disappointed now!

Please, please Spotify, bring back the sleep timer!

Function removed in Spotify itself... Teufel Raumfeld speaker app says: no sleep timer with Spotify, really sad 😞

on iOS the sleep timer is still there when playing music via Google Cast, so seems to affect Android (am on Android 13) only

Hi there all,

Thank you for your posts and the info you've shared.

We know how important the Sleep Timer is. We've reached out to our internal tech teams about this for clarification, and it looks like the Sleep Timer is not available when playing music over a Spotify Connect Device, like smart speakers. 

We've received information that there are tests being run to bring this feature into the app again, but we can't say for sure when exactly or if this will happen.

For the time being, the workaround posted by @Diamondback13 should work - set the sleep timer on your phone, before connecting to your Google speaker.

We've passed your feedback on to the right folks working on this, and expressed our concern, as this is an important feature for many users.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I used this feature every night to go to sleep. Massively disappointed it is gone. Reconsidering my Spotify subscription after the last few updates. Seems like every one breaks something useful. 

Haven't been this upset from an update in awhile. Reconsidering after being a customer for years

Suggested posts