Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Solution: No Storage Area Found

Solved!

Solution: No Storage Area Found

UPDATED: 3/20/2016. SEE BOTTOM OF POST.

Good Morning my Fellow Music Lovers, 

I've ran into the Infamous "no storage area found, and after a chat with support, met no resolution...  So since I can't let a problem go, I decided to get to the bottom of this...  Below is the step by step (with pictures) that led to my resolution, and some pointers that aren't quite verified as i'm waiting for my new microsd cards to get here so I can test the root cause more effectively.

First you have to clear all of the app data, if your issue is similar to mine, you can't do this from the spotify app because it won't open, so follow along with the blue circle and the captions...  

1 Open settings on your device.

1 Go To Storage1 Go To Storage2 Select Internal Storage2 Select Internal Storage3 Select Used Space3 Select Used Space4 Select Apps4 Select Apps5 Find Spotify, and select it.5 Find Spotify, and select it.6 Select Clear Data6 Select Clear Data7 Select Delete7 Select Delete8 Reopen Spotify And Login Using Your Method of Choice8 Reopen Spotify And Login Using Your Method of Choice9 Select the Home Menu9 Select the Home Menu10 Select the Settings Icon10 Select the Settings Icon11 Scroll Down And Select Storage11 Scroll Down And Select Storage12 Select Device Storage12 Select Device Storage13 Select OK on the Continue Screen13 Select OK on the Continue Screen14 Spotify Will Reopen and work.14 Spotify Will Reopen and work.

I believe that in my case, my old sd card that has survived many smartphones, is too slow and causes read write buffer issues with spotify,  since spotify is set by default to utilize the SD card, one bad write could corrupt the spotify information storage, and then the app can't read what it needs to in order to start... I'm waiting for a UHS-1 and a UHS-2 card to arrive... I'll test and post my results at a later date.

NOTE:  this was performed on a galaxy S7 running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow

UPDATE:  My assumption regarding the MicroSD has been confirmed.  My old card maxed out at writing 10MBs a second.   My new one is writing at 45MBs a second.   I've switched back to using SD storage and the issue has yet to reoccur after three days and downloading playlists.  I used an app called A1 SD BENCH to get my actual write speeds,  and everything seems good to go now.  

44 Replies

I cant download in my storage . .

Hello ,

In fact this is an expected behavior, since  it is just an workaround, until there is  definitive solution coming from Android.

Spotify does not have a problem, the problem is on Android 6.0.1, that does not work properly with SD Card.

For now, this is what we can do.

Cheers

I cleared my data but when I went to open the app I still got the same message. I have an LG G3

Hi, thanks for the steps.  I got as far as 'Clear Data' and went to log back in, but still had the same problem and message about no storage data.  Any other ideas?  I have a Samsung Galaxy S4...

The problem isn't only on Android Marshmallow, I have 5.1.1 and I also have the problem. I have uninstalled spotify, removed the card, restarted, reinstalled it and managed to finally open spotify. However I was not able to find anywhere in the setting menu the option to select which storage to use and as soon as I inserted the SD card spotify stopped working again.

FYI You might want to check the application permissions.

You can give PERMISSION to access to storage in the OS.

Spotify has no issue finding my SD card. 

My linked issues is that spotify just doesn't find it on boot as it looks before the SD card is fully mounted and after unlinks the cached data defaults back to internal storage.

Working Workaround solution:

If i FREEZE/DISABLE spotify every time i reboot my phone I have ZERO ISSUE.

I have posted this thread and spotify support REFUSES to accept that this is a Spotify issue.  And maybe it isn't if you run android V4 or older.

You can say this is an Android 5+ bug but it is the fact that android OS changed the way the phone accesses the SD card.

Well maybe it isn't but spotify needs to understand this is the was the phones work and therefore make adjustments in their software to workaround this ANDROID OS issue than.

If you are paying for spotify premium it is unlikely you are RUNNING android V4.xx

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-storage-location-BUG/td-p/13483...

MY WORKAROUND SOLUTION found on another forum

This elimated all storage issues but required me to DISABLE spotify BEFORE REBOOT!.

*** of course forget 1 time and all data is lost!

How to
Buy this app or a similar one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hecorat.packagedisabler

Disable spotify before reboot.
Enable spotify after reboot boot and sd card is mounted fully.

No storage issues come up for me then.

It would be nice if spotify would stop telling me to format my SD card as a solution.  I have done this over 20 times.

I have downloaded over 100GB this month from the storage issues making offline need to be redownloaded.

I factory reset my phone and tried 4 different SD cards formatted on the phone.

Add with SD encryption + the widgit on the homescreen and the problem happened 100% oof the time.

Although spotify support seems to neglect all information findings or accept this is an ISSUE but just tells me to clear app data and format my SD card.

As proof an application actually can work with SD storage.  Please see the camera application in SAMSUNG it works 100% never forgets that the storage is SD.  If you take photos before the SD is mounted then they store internally and autoswitches back to external SD.

I had the same problem with my Samsung note 4, so what I did is delete the app then removed the SD card and tgen installed the app again and it worked

This is an actual bug. You may downgrade spotify to an older version or disable the app on reboot until spotify stops being ignorant to this bug.

If you encrypt your sd card you will make the bugly visible every reboot or you can experience if randomly on a non encrypted sd card.

Thank you to all those who have offered extremely helpful advice..
I ended up deleting the app and unsubscribing with spotify and setting it
up again.. This solved the issue and the good news was that when I logged
in to my account on spotify, all my music was there as before.. So again,
thank you so much for all your help and advice 🐵

Hi I'm having the same issue I just got my new Samsung S7 but in my case I change my Xperia Z2 with had and 128GB micro SDCard 75MB/s Writing speed with download musics and I switch phones and add the mico SDCard in S7. First time I was able to login and change my storage option to use SDCard and re-download the musics.

I even play then after I left spotify never was able to get back again.

I have tried everything I found in the internet yet not found a solution.

Thank you!

Thank you!! This resolved the issue on my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime (Android Lollipop, 5.1.1).

I'd love to know what caused it to suddenly error. I used Spotify on this phone with this same SD card for 6 months without issue.

Edit: The cause of the error was that the SD card went bad. No app could save to it. Put in a new SD card, changed Spotify to save to SD card again, and no error message appears.

Do you think, this apply if you move your SD Card to another device? I have an Android Audio Car System and don't want to start downloading the same Playlist I want to move the SD from my Note5 to the Audio Car System

Yessss, this worked for me. Thanks so much! 🙂 

No problem

This worked for me - no card changes, no reboots, just deleted the data and logged in. Music now happily saving to my SD card/

Thank you. 

I tried Formatting my SD card, spotify fixed! :))

did not work for me... it happens whether using the device's storage or the SD card

Un install the app take your memory card off, normal reboot your phone,
then download the app again then when it's loaded put your memory card back
in, make sure you have enough space too, check how much exactly it uses up.

Good luck

did that even before i posted here. im having issues both SD and internal
storage actually. it first happened when i was using the internal so i
tried my SD. same thing

Suggested posts