Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Solution: No Storage Area Found

Solved!

Solution: No Storage Area Found

UPDATED: 3/20/2016. SEE BOTTOM OF POST.

Good Morning my Fellow Music Lovers, 

I've ran into the Infamous "no storage area found, and after a chat with support, met no resolution...  So since I can't let a problem go, I decided to get to the bottom of this...  Below is the step by step (with pictures) that led to my resolution, and some pointers that aren't quite verified as i'm waiting for my new microsd cards to get here so I can test the root cause more effectively.

First you have to clear all of the app data, if your issue is similar to mine, you can't do this from the spotify app because it won't open, so follow along with the blue circle and the captions...  

1 Open settings on your device.

1 Go To Storage1 Go To Storage2 Select Internal Storage2 Select Internal Storage3 Select Used Space3 Select Used Space4 Select Apps4 Select Apps5 Find Spotify, and select it.5 Find Spotify, and select it.6 Select Clear Data6 Select Clear Data7 Select Delete7 Select Delete8 Reopen Spotify And Login Using Your Method of Choice8 Reopen Spotify And Login Using Your Method of Choice9 Select the Home Menu9 Select the Home Menu10 Select the Settings Icon10 Select the Settings Icon11 Scroll Down And Select Storage11 Scroll Down And Select Storage12 Select Device Storage12 Select Device Storage13 Select OK on the Continue Screen13 Select OK on the Continue Screen14 Spotify Will Reopen and work.14 Spotify Will Reopen and work.

I believe that in my case, my old sd card that has survived many smartphones, is too slow and causes read write buffer issues with spotify,  since spotify is set by default to utilize the SD card, one bad write could corrupt the spotify information storage, and then the app can't read what it needs to in order to start... I'm waiting for a UHS-1 and a UHS-2 card to arrive... I'll test and post my results at a later date.

NOTE:  this was performed on a galaxy S7 running Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow

UPDATE:  My assumption regarding the MicroSD has been confirmed.  My old card maxed out at writing 10MBs a second.   My new one is writing at 45MBs a second.   I've switched back to using SD storage and the issue has yet to reoccur after three days and downloading playlists.  I used an app called A1 SD BENCH to get my actual write speeds,  and everything seems good to go now.  

44 Replies

With my Moto x play and with marshmallow OS the phone itself do not differentiate sD card. In most storage analyser apps there is only internal space.

What actually worked is the following:
1. Install Spotify
2. Add permissions for storage
3. Download something in Spotify
4. Copy .com.spotify folder from internal to (in my case it's called simulated/0) to sD android/data
5. As the final step go to android storage settings and click option to "migrate data".

After this is completed any download on spotify is stored on SD card.

Hope it helps

Really helped! Thanks a lot!

I cant find the storage button

Do you have a memory card inserted, and does your phone recognize it as
being there with space available?

Had the same problem 12/16. And it is related to the SD card. After multiple reinstalls and clearing data, I swapped my SD and the "storage" option returned right after.

I second the need to use a faster SD Card. It drove me nuts as my new songs filled up my phone's memory. Just needed a different faster SD. Probably playing 6 hours of music off cheap SD memory daily is enough to wear the thing out... 

Suggested posts