Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Song metadata does notupdate via bluetooth when phone is locked

Song metadata does notupdate via bluetooth when phone is locked

If my phone is unlocked and i start bluetooth streaming to my toyota's car audio system everything works fine. Metadata is correctly displayed.

If I stop the car and then return a few minutes later, the bluetooth audio reconnects and the music will continue to play. The song metadata however will display the last info from when I stopped the car, when the track changes the metadata does not update.

The only way to update the metadata is to pull the phone out of my pocket and unlock the screen. Then the metadata updates correctly.

Phone: Samsung S6 Edge

Car: Toyota Highlander 2014

Android: 6.0.1

I have performed a full factory reset on the phone. Installed spotify. Tested. Same problem (i also removed and recreated bluetooth links from within the car stereo)

I have tested the Tidal application to see if it had the same problem. Tidal worked flawlessly. I dont want to use tidal, i want to use spotify.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can fix this it would be most appreciated!

16 Replies

Have you read this?

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/PSA-Samsung-users-please-read/td-p/1334731

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Fantastic! I will try in the morning!

Thankyou!

I tried this but I still have the same problem.

Spotify seems to be a mess with how it works with incar bluetooth since the android update (6.0.1).

I have tried the Tidal client on a trial and it works flawlessly. This would seem to be a spotify client issue rather than an android issue...

Any other ideas?

Coming in to say I have the same issue with Spotify on my s7 edge. The issue is not present with Play Music or Tidal. Quick edit: need to point out that track metadata does not update regardless of screen lock status. GPM updates immediately.

I've had both issues. I had it where it was displaying metadata except when the screen was locked but unlocking the device would resolve the issue. Now It does not matter if the screen is locked or not. I did recent change phones so I dont remember if unlocking the screen to update metadata worked on my old phone and doesnt work at all on my new phone. Regardless it doesn't seem to work.

Old phone: OnePlus One

New phone: OnePlus 3

Vehicle: 2016 Honda Civic (streamed via bluetooth connection)

Thank you for your reply. I have a 2016 Subaru WRX, headunit is made by Clarion if that helps at all Spotify folks.

I am using a Galaxy S7 with a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. Same issue. I get the metadata from the first song when I start the car but it doesn't update for any other song no matter what I do. I do still have my old Galaxy S3 which works just fine. So it has to be something with the Android operating system. Spotify needs to work on a workaround for this because there are alternatives to Spotify which work better in this regard.

it is not android because my iphone does the same exact thing

I have a similar issue. I have a Google pixel XL with Android 8.0. when I start up Spotify I can see the current song and artist on the Bluetooth screen in my Mazda 6. After the first song most of the time the screen does not advance. It continues to show the sane song. The next song plays fine and I can skip with the steering controls. Once in a while it will advance on the screen but mostly not. The same thing happens in my Mazda CX-5. I have no issues with Pandora, Amazon music, and even the Sirius XM app. This only happens with Spotify. Very annoying.

I had to same trouble with my Galaxy S5, upgraded to a A5 and still the same trouble. Asked Subaru dealer to upgrade firmware on the radio, they said they've done it. But still havong the trouble.

Same problem here.

I have a oneplus 3 running with the stock android version (8.0) and the track information (title, artist and album) is always from the previous track. The track actual running time and total time are always shown correctly.

When I start my car (golf MK7 2016), I get the information from the first song, then the second song starts... Nothing changes.

Third song starts, then I get the information from the second song... and so on.

All the steering wheel control in general works fine. But sometimes it really gets stuck, changing the track after many seconds I pressed the button.

I also don't get the album art, but this doesn't bother me so much.

I tested with Google play music and everything works almost 100%. No problems with track information and steering wheel control. But also no album art. The same result I have when I test with my wife's iPhone.

Regards.

Given the lack of activity here by the devs except for the condescending do a search auto response , I'm guessing they dont give a fk.  This has been an issue for a year now on multiple platforms.  I'm ditching spotify ASAP and will no longer be recommending it.  What a joke...not to mention the dimwitted interface that has no customization either in the gui or the audio settings.  Cant even select what device to output to.  Good riddance I guess

There is an active case in the Spotify forum for a similar issue as well. It was ignored for quite a while but in the last 2 weeks there was a message from Spotify stating that the developers are actively looking at this issue. So we'll see what happens.

I am having the exact same issue on android 8.1 with a Google pixel xl. It doesn't matter what Bluetooth device it is connected to, the track metadata does not change after the first song is played. It will update when it has been paused and unpaused, however. Has no issue updating in my head unit's android auto interface. The only issue is spotify updating metadata over Bluetooth.

Should also mention that I've reinstalled spotify, restarted my phone, done a factory restore, turned off battery saving optimization, everything that's been recommended to potentially fix the problem. It still persists.

Had a Galaxy S5 with this problem, changed it to a Galaxy A5 and same
problem,

Same issue, Pixel XL and Audi A7. Wish spotify would fix this, considering switching to another service

Suggested posts