Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Song restarting midway on repeat one

Song restarting midway on repeat one

1. Plan

Premium 

Country

Canada

Device

Galaxy Z Fold 5, Galaxy Tab S8+, Windows PC

Operating System

(Android 14 OneUI 6.1, Windows 11 N)

My Question or Issue

It seems that a recent and previously "Fixed" bug has come back. When setting songs to repeat one, songs tend to restart midway instead of from the beginning. This especially happens if I come back to the spotify app after a few hours (say I came back from work and want to listen to the song I was listening to before).

The funny thing is, this only happens for the first 1-2 repeats after coming back to spotify after a few hours, then is very occasional. Happens on almost all platforms (I can't test apple devices).

Another peculiar observation, which might be nothing but a coincidence, is that the midway restart point of the song is not random. It almost feels like the Automix feature is on (it is NOT). The songs almost always start from their main stanza (or otherwise known as the main part or hook in some cases), and the crossfade between the end of the song and the transition back to the main hook SEEMS very intentional to me, as if somehow the Automix feature is interfering even though it is off.

29 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

New Zealand

Device

Samsung Galaxy s23 Ultra

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

Hi, I listen to songs on repeat a lot and I've found that occasionally when the song repeats it'll start again from 30 seconds in or around 2 minutes in, rather than the start. I then have to go on to my screen and click to start the song again. I commonly use my Sony MXH4's to listen to music and thought it could be those but it happens with Android Auto too. Tried clearing my cache, re-downloading the app and nothing has worked. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

In Windows and Android app when I chose to replay the song in the second round song starting midway. It only happens in the second time. It is so annoying.

This happens to me frequently on m Apple devices (phone and laptop) as well. I don't know if there's a solution but it seems to rectify itself after a while. It usually happens on the first couple of repeats only.

I have this issue as well for several weeks. From what I can understand, and this might not be the same for you, but it is like Spotify is remembering where I paused a song a while ago and when I go to play the song again it starts at that remembered time and is repeating the song starting at that time and not at 0. Also, this unpaused time memory can be for any time during the song. I had it repeat the last 7 seconds of a song once. Please fix this Spotify. This is unacceptable for a paid service.

I forgot to mention, this phenomenon is happening on my Android phone and on my PC. I think this is a service wide bug rather than a bug specific to any one platform.

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

iphone 11

Operating System

IOS 18.0

My Question or Issue

When i have a song playing and close the application without pausing the song, open spotify again and start the song, if replay is on when the song gets to the end it starts again from the timestamp it was when i closed the application and not from the beginning. To fix this you have to just manually start the song from the beginning.

Hey, I tried doing what you said in this post and even restarted my phone but the problem still persists. I haven’t been able to use Spotify without occurrences like this. It’s pretty frustrating. I cannot even use it on my computer because it just refuses to play, or won’t let me change the songs

Hey folks,

Thank you for your messages. 

Just to be on the same page, would you mind confirming if you've already tried a clean reinstall of the app? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful in getting rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues. 

If the issue persists, since we cannot replicate the issue on our end, let us know the following info:

- Your device info (make/model) and OS version

- Exact Spotify version

Also, and if possible; could any of you record a short video where we can take a better look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This has been happening for years. I can't believe you've never fixed it or stumbled across it yourselves. It happens on my mac desktop and iphone.

Yes, I did a clean install when I bought a new computer and new iphone and this issue was still present in the last year. It's never not happened when I had a single song on repeat, paused and came back later or later switched devices.

Hey @johnhardingnyc,

Thanks for joining the conversation. 

We have had reports of this in the past but the issue has either been solved or we discovered it was connected to the particular set up somebody is using.

We'd suggest that you try some more troubleshooting - since this is happening on multiple devices, could you ask a friend or family member to log in on your computer or phone to see if the app behaves the same. This will show us if the issue is with your particular account.

Keep us in the loop!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts