Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs stop playing, app going offline

Solved!

Songs stop playing, app going offline

I used the preview version on my desire hd and it worked great. I then upgraded to the final release and started getting problems. The app seems to go onlineand offline at will and songs stop playing at random. Even the downloaded songs and even if the app is set to offline mode. I didn't bother to fix it sinceI bought the galaxy s3, but the problems appear on the new phone as well. I did the following:
Installed the new app from google play store.
Logged in with spotify username and password. I tried facebook as well.
I downloaded a playlist in high quality.
I played it. The song stops after a short while at random.

Any solution?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay so I have tried the new version some, here are my results:

Play a playlist online with 3G (30 minutes): Worked.

Play a playlist online with wifi (20 minutes): Worked.

Download a playlist and play it while online with 3G (15 minutes): Worked.

Download a playlist and play it while online with wifi (15 minutes): Worked.

Download a playlist and play it while offline (10 minutes): Worked.

So far everything has worked for me, but I have not had time to do any excessive testing. I will test it more tomorrow but the initial tests look promising. I am sorry to hear that two of you have tried the new version without success though, so apparently they still need to take a good hard look at this issue.

By the way, I cleared the app data and uninstalled the preview version before installing the new version from the play store (in other words, i did NOT chose to upgrade it), since this was the way they told us to upgrade from the preview version earlier. Can more of you try and report here if it works for you or not?

View solution in original post

66 Replies

You don't have Google Listen installed do you? I used to get random stops in Spotify and other music applications. Narrowed it down to Listen doing something odd, uninstalled it, and haven't had an issue since.
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Nope, I don't have Google Listen installed. It's also only happening in spotify. If I listen to mp3s on the stock music player it doesn't stop. 😞

I installed the preview version again and now it works again. The bad side is that I don't get the folder structure for the playlists and that the player don't remember the shuffle-setting, but I can live with that as long as the playback works 🙂

By per chance are you using the new update? I find mine does it when the signal drops, even if my playlists are syncd offline... My temporary option is to select 'offline mode' until I get a response back about it. I've emailed the team with this problem.

@ijeans - I had that issue with the preview - seems it has not been fixed: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Preview-app-crash-on-loss-of-network-signal/td-p/4898...
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I have a similar problem, and even without data enabled it always stops after a few minutes a first time (usually before the end of the first song).

It seems to go much better when I restart it.

Sad that this topic is marked as solved because of a cheesy workaround ...

I am having this problem.  Even after the update on 6/18.

Yup. I'm staying with the preview version until I read that this is fixed.

Also got the stop playing problem.

When online (3g / wifi) my downloaded playlist stops playing after 3-4 minutes and can't resume it, i must go back  (back button) to that playlist to start it again. Most of the time it stays playing after the second start, occaisionaly it stops playing again.

When playing a not downnloaded playlist on 3g and wifi in online mode it stops playing randomly (arround 3-4 minutes). The playlist disapears and have to go back to the folder where the playlist is stashed to restart it. But it is quite useless since it stops again after a while.

I did an uninstall yesterday (after removing the cache and reinstalled it with v0.5.1.15, but that gave me no cure. I own a HTC Sensation with the ICS (4.0.3) upgrade.

I Never had problems with the old app besides sometimes the music stopped playing due to lost connection with offline (not downloaded) playlists.

Beside this problem i also got a problem with the playlist mentioned in an other topic.

I hope these anoying problems can be fixed soon. I have taken a premium account because i (want) to use it on mobile.

Hope to hear soon!

EDIT: The music also stops playing in the 'offline' mode.... so i think it can't be a connection problem only. I also forgot to mention that the app crashes a lot too, when going to offline mode, or after not using it a while.

I'm still having this issue as well after the 6/18 update.  It doesn't matter if I'm on Wifi/3G or playing offline songs.  After a few minutes, the music stops playing and all songs are wiped from my play queue.  I have to hit the back button and start it again.  Sometimes it will play through on the second attempt.  But most times it does the same thing on few minutes after restarting the playlist.

I never had any issues with the preview version.  I'd hate to revert to using it since I've organized all my playlists into folders and normally don't offline much music.

Just wanted to add my name to those who are seeing this error, even after the June 18 update (Galaxy S3, Android 4.0.4).  I'm going to revert to the preview version until this bug is fixed!

I'm having this same issue. A couple of more details:

1. It happens whether online or offline.
  2. It happens to both downloaded and local songs.
  3. It plays a song the full way through and when the next song comes on, it shows the song is playing (time counts, progress indicator moves) but no sound plays. 

In order to get it to play out loud, I have to skip forward or backward and then back to the song that was playing silently.

I actually think there are two issues here:

I've seen people complaining about no sound on the 2nd song.

What I, and I believe most of the people in this thread, are experiencing, is the songs actually randomly stopping (the player does not continue moving and the playlist has disappeared).

This is the issue I'm seeing:  The song actually randomly stops (the player does not continue moving and the playlist disappears)

Same issue here... Offline Playlists stop playing after 3G or HSDPA is disabled by JuiceDefender...

Galaxy S2, all updates.

Hey all again
Yes, so just to clarify what I think causes my issues:
1. A loss of signal triggers spotify to crash regardless of the song playing being an offline sync - could this be because of the spotify lockscreen enhancement on my HTC ONE X? I get the same size notification on my lockscreen which, in effect, replaces the Spotify 'now playing' lockscreen. Perhaps its being donkey punched off?!
2. Sometimes, not always, a notification interrupts playback as expected but stops spotify from playing again.

These are new issues where the previous version worked perfectly.

I must note that on every occasion my song was interrupted, it was an embarrassing song - does Spotify have a public taste filter?

Has anyone tried seeing if switching to 'private session' eradicates the issue? It's just a thought but perhaps there is an issue with it streaming what we are listening to, to the social network?

Indeed - same problem on an HTC Desire HD (Froyo).

• This did not happen in the (short time) that I used the beta
  • It happened in the first post-beta release
  • It also happens in the release as of June 18th
  • It seems to happen more upon starting to play an album and less towards the end of the album
  • It may possibly conincide with a drop in coverage on the phone, but I'm not 100% sure
  • It happens in both online and offline mode
  • I'm only testing with fully downloaded playlists
  • I had a thought it may be related to download of album cover art, but I'm not so sure anymore
  • I've got no other apps running (I explicitly stopped them through the HTC Sense task killer)

Frankly, Spotify is unusable for me at the moment, but I hope this is fixable and will be rectified soon.

Martin

Ugh, I thought the update fixed my problem, but nope.

Playing just stops, I loose the notification at the top of the screen that has the spotify icon and says what song is playing, sometimes it comes back, but playing doesn't resume. Sometimes the song goes back to the begining.

Stock Droid Razr

I do not have Google Listen.

Back to the old version, again.

Just want too add that I have the same problem on my galaxy s2 :(.

Suggested posts