Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify App for Kindle Fire HD in UK

Solved!

Spotify App for Kindle Fire HD in UK

Sorry to possibly be repeating a question, but the silence on this subject is deafening wherever I try to discover a definitive answer ANYWHERE on the internet . . . Will the US Spotify App work on a Kindle Fire HD in UK and, if not, are there any plans to release a Spotify App for UK users? I'm a paying UK Spotify Premium subscriber who would dearly love to access this wonderful music source and service on my new KF HD, especially if it could be in a style similar to the way I currently access it on my Sony Xperia Ray, and if I could have that invaluable facility to download my Tracks to the device so that I could still listen to them offline when there is no WiFi available (the KF HD has no alternative connectivity apart from WiFi), and on planes etc.

Any insight or clues would be very much appreciated, and not only by me judging from the many, many other people I've come across (and not just on the Spotify Forums) asking the very same question.

Standing-by . . .

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes, I've managed to install the Spotify App onto a UK Kindle Fire HD . . . 

I finally took delivery of my KF HD last week (for ref. it was me that started this thread), and one of the first things I did was to download the Spotify App from the Amazon App Store and install it. I've managed to download a good sized chunk of my Spotify Playists onto the KF HD device (For information to future viewers of this thread: I'm a paying Spotify Premium subscriber, you don't have that option if you're using the Free version), so that I can listen to them when I have no Wi-Fi connection available, and although I haven't used Spotify for any great prolonged period of time on the KF HD yet, I don't appear to be getting any problems with the App stopping when the KF HD goes into Sleep mode, as mentioned by people in other related threads that I've read. The sound quality is more than acceptable through the external speakers, and very good indeed through headphones, bearing in mind that it IS a tiny portable device with tiny speakers at the end of the day, but in pretty much every review that I've read where the KF HD is compared with the Google Nexus or the iPad Mini etc, the KF HD always seems to come out 'top of the list' in relation to the output of it's speakers.

The only other 'issue' that I've seen people highlight, is the fact that Spotify displays in Portrait mode only, i.e. it doesn't go to Landscape when you turn the device, but I regard this as a simple oversight by the App developer, and it doesn't really cause any major inconvenience, despite some people saying that it means you have to tilt your head to read your Playlists if you're using the cover/case for the KF HD and and you stand it up 'tent stylee' - my suggestion/workaround would be to stand the case the other way (like a partially open book) . . . problem solved! Having said that, it would still be nice if Spotify addressed that oversight, because you obviously get more information displayed in the wider Landscape view.

I hope this all helps someone along the way - I'll update if any gremlins do happen to crawl into the mix at any time in the future.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hi,

The Spotify app is one binary - there is no country-specific version. You should be able to use Spotify on your Kindle Fire HD in the UK.

Could you please confirm that it works as expected ?

Thanks,

/tom

I can't seem to get it working on my KF hd either. Keeps telling me I need to download Mac or Windows...!!!??? Please help!!!!! 😞

Hey guys 🙂 

Are you allowed to install 3rd party apps on the kindle fire or do they have to be from the app store? 

If you can, you can download the application from the spotify website directly from:

http://download.spotify.com/android/SpotifyAndroid.apk

or by going to m.spotify.com in your mobile browser and following the instructions. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@smr1903 where do you see this text ?

You start the Kindle Fire HD -> get the Spotify app from the Amazon appstore (on-device), start the Spotify app and login and then... ?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

/tom

I'm trying to install Spotify on my Kindle fire but it sais my billing adress (Sweden) doesn't support Spotify. Does it only work in the US?

Are you installing it from the Amazon Appstore?

So has anyone successfully managed install the Spotify app onto their UK Kindle Fire HD?

Marked as solution

Yes, I've managed to install the Spotify App onto a UK Kindle Fire HD . . . 

I finally took delivery of my KF HD last week (for ref. it was me that started this thread), and one of the first things I did was to download the Spotify App from the Amazon App Store and install it. I've managed to download a good sized chunk of my Spotify Playists onto the KF HD device (For information to future viewers of this thread: I'm a paying Spotify Premium subscriber, you don't have that option if you're using the Free version), so that I can listen to them when I have no Wi-Fi connection available, and although I haven't used Spotify for any great prolonged period of time on the KF HD yet, I don't appear to be getting any problems with the App stopping when the KF HD goes into Sleep mode, as mentioned by people in other related threads that I've read. The sound quality is more than acceptable through the external speakers, and very good indeed through headphones, bearing in mind that it IS a tiny portable device with tiny speakers at the end of the day, but in pretty much every review that I've read where the KF HD is compared with the Google Nexus or the iPad Mini etc, the KF HD always seems to come out 'top of the list' in relation to the output of it's speakers.

The only other 'issue' that I've seen people highlight, is the fact that Spotify displays in Portrait mode only, i.e. it doesn't go to Landscape when you turn the device, but I regard this as a simple oversight by the App developer, and it doesn't really cause any major inconvenience, despite some people saying that it means you have to tilt your head to read your Playlists if you're using the cover/case for the KF HD and and you stand it up 'tent stylee' - my suggestion/workaround would be to stand the case the other way (like a partially open book) . . . problem solved! Having said that, it would still be nice if Spotify addressed that oversight, because you obviously get more information displayed in the wider Landscape view.

I hope this all helps someone along the way - I'll update if any gremlins do happen to crawl into the mix at any time in the future.

Kshaky, thanks! I found this very useful. Do you know if it is possible to use a bluethooth speaker?

Hi Pagans4u, thanks for your "thanks", and I'm so glad that my Post is still able to help people . . .  2½ years after I posted it - that's why I love these type of Forums, they're such an invaluable source of advice and tips etc.

You most certainly CAN use Bluetooth speakers, I have 3 different sets paired with my KF HD, along with 2 sets of headphones. Just drag down the Settings menu from the top of your Home screen, and then tap Wireless/Bluetooth. Once you've done that, do whatever you have to do to make your Bluetooth speaker search for Bluetooth connections/become 'visible', then (at the same time) tap 'Search For Devices' on the [still open] Bluetooth screen on your KF HD - your KF HD should then pick up the connection to your BT speaker and complete the pairing. Depending on the manufacturer of your BT speaker, your Kindle might request that you enter a Password/Code to complete the pairing, and in the majority of cases the default is 0000 . . . but check the User Manual for your BT speaker before you start the process, just in case there's a different Password/Code required to complete the pairing.

If you haven't actually purchased a Bluetooth speaker yet, I'd personally recommend the following choices - Cheaper option, @ £4.88 from Amazon = http://tinyurl.com/nw9jg24, or the 'High-end' option, currently @ £99.99 (normally £179.99) from Creative = http://tinyurl.com/q7ggtvc - these are the two types that I have, and both do exactly what they claim to do, and very well in both cases . . . 'depends what your requirements are, and what budgets you have I guess.

I hope this is helpful to you . . . "Happy Bluetoothing!"

I've been searching for a way to get Spotify on my kindle fire forever... THANK YOU FOR THIS!!

No worries, 'happy to have been able to help you out, rdp53 - and it's now just over 7½ years since my original post . . . gotta love the internet, eh? 🙂

Suggested posts