Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app exits directly after login, on ICS

Solved!

Spotify app exits directly after login, on ICS

I have a Nexus S android running ICS.

A couple of days ago the Spotify app started malfunctioning. When I started it, it would log in as expected and display the playlists. However, after a small number of seconds, it exited without any warning whatsoever. I cannot use the app anymore since it exits almost instantly.

I have tried to clear the app data and reinstalling the app, it didn't work.

(Another problem that I've had quite a while (that I think is unrelated) is that my offline playlists fade from the cache. I have to re-sync my phone every couple of days.)

/David

44 Replies

One thing I forgot to mention is that I also removed some playlists, specifically playlist folders. I moved all my playlists out of folders then deleted the folders themselves. Then, I force stopped Spotify, cleared data, uninstalled, reboot phone, then reinstalled Spotify. It's been working ever since

I will re-add some playlist folders to see if that breaks it again.

Re-adding multi-level folders of playlists didn't cause the app to stop working.

Seriously though why the hell should we, the paying users, have to go through all the rigmarole of doing this stuff. Spotify should fix the issue. The ICS development kit for app designers has been out for months, and months. There is no excuse for Spotify not sorting this given how little development they have done on the Android platform. 

It is an insult to paying customers. I am now spending hours sorting out my offline cache again. I shouldn't need to and it is a joke when Spotify don't fix things or pay our issues any attention.

THey really ought to stop messing about sucking up to Facebook ang get their own house in order.

My thoughts exactly. We need to voice these issues directly to their emails. The iOS version is much more stable better then Android and they need to get to work asap.

I emailed them about my bug on Friday, but history dictates I probably wont actually receive a reply. If I do it probably wno't address any of my concerns.

That they *might*, might?!?!?!? Update their app to support ICS just beggars belief.

Seriously maybe we should be emailing Phandroid, Cnet, Znet, Eurodroid, Wired and the like and see if we can get some stories about this issue to put some pressure on Spotify?

Same problem here. The Spotify app on my Samsung Galaxy SII has been bugging ever since I installed ICS a week ago. I have been able to listen to music once, whereas freezes, program shut downs, log outs and playlists not appearing (when logging in only using my Facebook credentials) have become the norm. I have about 120-130 playlists and reading the comments in here I realize that this might be an issue, but since this (which is completely ridiculous in itself, but that's another debate...) is the only reasonable way to organize and (individually) listen to artists offline in Spotify I really hope that I don't have to start deleting a bunch of them. I live in Norway, so Wimp is a very strong (or even stronger) option to Spotify, but I sincerely hope that I don't have to make the switch. Still, paying 99 NOK a month (which I have been doing for nearly three years) for a service that doesn't  work (because of an update which had it developers kits rolled out months ago?!) is unfortunately about to leave me no choice.

I have galaxy nexus. Issue i found is something to dowith offline playlist. After i removed all my offline playlist spotify would stop crashing. This completly makes the app useless now but at least i can stream again

Well Spotify have said in these parts that they might make the app compaitible with ICS at some point but no promises. A ludicrous position.

This is so gay. Seriously, Spotify, please fix it. 

Its really annoying not to be able to use a service you pay 99kr per month for. The android client was really crappy for ics and now its not working at all!

I'm having terrible problems with the app on my ICS Galaxy S2. Repeated crashing, and wiping of offline files. The app is USELESS on ICS.

As a result I am going to downgrade my subscription until Spotify bring out a stable ICS build. It's a waste of money until that happens.

I would urge everyone else with this issue to downgrade their subscriptions immediately and let Spotify customer services know exactly why they are losing this money. Might get them to allocate development resources to cater for what is going to be a very large chunk of their potential mobile user population within a short space of time.

There is no excuse as this OS update has been known about for many months and it was inevitable that the Android app would need to be fixed *well* in advance.

I personally am going back to obtaining my music from other (stable) sources until this is fixed. Shame but that's the way it's gotta be.

Today I realized that the app works totally fine if I run the it without being connected to wifi or a data network. In other words it seems the problem has to do with the process of logging in/authenticating. I tried resetting the password, but it didn't change a thing. This is ridiculous. 

Marked as solution

I just updated my GS2 to ICS with a clean install, everything on factory settings. I installed Spotify and wo and behold - it almost works. But just ALMOST. When not on wi-fi connection, it's always offline. Even tho I have full HSPA+ up and running it's offline.

So I can't stream anything unless I sit on my sofa.

Same problem... verry upset against spotify.
#spotifysuck

Having the same problem, disheartening that they aren't really giving any reply on whether or not they are working on a solution :<

They have said that they're working on an epic new Android app.

A full rewrite takes time, though. Fixing the existing app would make more sense to me, they've had four months to do that and could have avoided all this negative publicity, let alone the loss in custom. They would have also have been poised to pick up customers unhappy with the Rhapsody relaunch of Napster, but about the only really good thing with that is the Napster Android apps...

Marked as solution

For anyone with the problem of an immediate crash back to the homescreen after starting Spotify in Online mode, delete the /sdcard/Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui directory from the SD card. This will remove all your synced playlists, but it works for me every time.

Dave
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I have also downgraded my Spotify account due to this incompatibility. I tested to open the app without connection an it works but there are also several fcs when playing songs.

Sorry Spotify I´ll subscribe again my account once this bugs has been fixed.

I've the same problem on Galaxy Nexus.

Workaround until Spotify Inc fixes the problem:

1. Activate flight mode

2. Start Spotify

3. In Spotify app: select "More" > "Settings"  and check "Offline Mode"

Now you at least can play what you have cached in the phone.

Suggested posts